Interesting Colorado Facts
Kiowa County Facts
- Statehood: August 1, 1876
- Name Origin: The State of Colorado gets its name from the Colorado River which flows through red canyons. In Spanish,
"Colorado" means the color red.
- Nickname: Centennial State
- Capital: Denver
- Motto: Nothing Without Providence
- State Bird: Lark Bunting
- State Flower: Rocky Mountain Columbine
- State Animal: Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep
- State Tree: Colorado Blue Spruce
- State Fossil: Stegosaurus
- Highest Elevation: Mount Elbert which is 14,433 feet above sea level.
- County formation: formed from part of Bent County by an act of the State Legislature in 1889. Governor Cooper signed
the bill on April 11, 1889.
- Origin of Name: Named for the Kiowa Indians. The Kiowa's used eastern Colorado as a summer hunting ground. Also,
Kiowa Springs, four of five miles south of Eads, was a watering place on the stage road from Fort Lyons to Goodland, KS.
- County Seat: originally the town of Sheridan Lake; in 1902 the County seat was moved to Eads.
- Brandon Observatory: Observatory built to observe the total eclipse of the sun on June 8, 1918.
- Smallest Jail in the U.S.?: The old Haswell jailhouse.
Back to Kiowa County index