Kit Carson County, Colorado
Photographs

COGenWeb Logo


Kit Carson County Pioneers:

Marion Pickinpaugh, 6 South 48 West



Marion Pickinpaugh married Julia A. Dunlavy in Schuyler County, Illinois on March 2, 1887.
Marion timber-claimed a quarter in 25, 6S, 48W in 1896.

In 1900 Schuyler County, Illinois, Marion born July 1860 in Ohio, with Amanda J. March 1862 Illinois, married thirteen years. Harry ws born June 1888 (Illinois, Guy August 1892, Beulah R. Oct 1894, and Hazel R. Oct 1898.
On the same page is John Pickinpaugh born Feb 1833 in Ohio, widowed, with George Dec 1868 Illinois. Niece Elizabeth Wiley born May 1860 in Ohio is with them.

In 1910 Scyuyler County, Marion is farming, 49, with Julia 47, Harry D. 21, Guy 17, Bueeulah R. 15, Ruth H. 11, Lois M. 8, Floyd 4, and William, 2. All kids were listed as born in Illinois.

Marion Pickinpaugh, a son of the first marriage, was born on the home place in Camden township, Schuyler county, July 29, 1860, and engaged in general farming and stock raising. As a breeder of hogs he was particularly successful and is now living retired in Macomb, Illinois. He has held various offices in the Free Methodist Church and is allied with the republican party. For a number of years he was a school director, doing all in his power to further the educational progress of his district, and in all matters of citizenship is loyal and public-spirited. His wife, Amanda (Dunlavy) Pickinpaugh, was born in Schuyler county March 29, 1861, and became a teacher — a vocation followed by many of her forbears in the paternal line. Her father, James Dunlavy, died when she was four years of age and her mother, a Miss Glandon, was a member of a family whose representatives were farmers, mill owners and merchants. James Glandon, the maternal grandfather of Mrs. Pickinpaugh, was a native of Ohio and came up the Mississippi river to Illinois, settling in Schuyler county at an early period in its history. He was one of the men who laid out the town of Brooklyn, Illinois, where he conducted a sawmill for some time, and his son, John Glandon, built the first bridge there. Mr. and Mrs. Marion Pickinpaugh had a family of eight children: Harry, who was born June 8, 1888, and died July 15, 1919; Guy; Beulah Rachel, who is the wife of Harold Caldwell and lives near Industry, Illinois; Ruth Hazel, now Mrs. Clarence McCutcheon, of Plymouth, Illinois; Lois, who married Harold Frowein and makes her home in Macomb, Illinois; one who died in infancy; Lloyd C, a resident of Camp Point, this state; and Howard, of Industry.


Left to right: Marion Pickinpaugh, Guy Pickinpaugh, Ruth Pickinpaugh, Beulah Pickinpaugh, Howard Pickinpaugh, Lois Pickinpaugh, Julia Pickinpaugh, Lloyd Pickinpaugh, and Harry Pickinpaugh
The Pickinpaugh family started in Morgan Co., Ohio and in Noble Co., Ohio then moved to Schuyler Co., IL.
Submitted by Sarah Rust, granddaughter of Guy Pickinpaugh

In 1920 Schuyler County, Marion is 59, Julia 57, Ruth 21, Lois 16, Lloyd 14 , and Howard 11.

In 1940 McDonough County, Illinois, Marion and Julia are alone.

Marion is buried in McDonough County, Illinois 1860-1941 # 9539759, with Julia Amanda (Dunlavy) Pickinbpaugh 1862-1958.
Julia's mother Lucretai Dunlavy, per her FindAGrave records, died in 1903 in Holdrege, Nebraska.
Julia and John 1824-1869 are buried in Schuyler County, Illinois.
HARRY

Harry Delbert Pickinpaugh was born June 8, 1888 at Seibert Colorado, and registered for WWI in Hunterville, Illinois, farming, with a wife and one child.

Harry Delbert Pickinpaugh, 23, married Lola May Cleeh/Cleek on March 15, 1911 in Schuyler County.
He's buried in Hancock County, Illinois 1888-1919, # 83676624, with Lola May 1891-1953.
Lola is 28, widowed and Harley, 7, in 1920 Hancock County, and in 1930 Lola is married to Joseph Grimes 46. and Harley R. 17 is with them.

Lola is widowed in 1940 Hancock County.

GUY

Guy Pickinpaugh was a pupil in the schools of Schuyler county and at intervals attended the State Normal at Macomb during a period of four years, joined its literary club and also participated in its dramatic work. In 1910 he left that institu- tion of learning, having been appointed a census enumerator, and when the work was completed he returned to the home place, which he assisted in developing for two years. He then followed the occupation of farming independently for a year and next took a course in the Sweeney Automobile School in Kansas City, Missouri, where he was graduated in 1915. He acted as assist- ant instructor in oxy-acetylene welding at that school, with which he was identified until July, 1915, when he went to Golden City, Missouri, to accept a position in a garage but remained there only a short time. Returning to Illinois, he was employed in the Wright Garage at Rushville until April 1, 1917, when he took over the Hoffman motor garage and machine shop, the prede- cessor of the Pickinpaugh Motor Company. While Mr. Hoff- man owned the place it was strictly a machine shop and special- ized in automobile work, although for a few years prior to 1917 he had the local agency for Hupmobiles. About a year after acquiring the business Mr. Pickinpaugh leased the shop to Charles Doyle and on the 10th of May, 1918, entered the army. Enlisting from Rushville, he was sent first to Jefferson Barracks in Missouri and later to Camp MacArthur at Waco, Texas, where he joined the Sixty-fourth Machine Gun Company, a unit of the Seventh Division, with which he went to France. The transport on which he sailed was eight clays in making the trip and following his arrival in France he became ill with pneumonia. Afterward he was with the headquarters troops of the Seventh Division and later was transferred to the Seventh M. 0. R. S. at Pont-a-Mousson, a town in the department of Meurthe-et-Moselle, France. He sailed for home on the battle cruiser Montana, landing at Brooklyn, New York, June 30, 1919, and was honorably discharged at Camp Grant, Illinois, July 30. Meanwhile Mr. Doyle had made a failure of the Rushville business, which was taken over by Enoch Dodge, who had signed his guarantee, and the latter remained in charge until August 1, 1919, when Mr. Pickinpaugh resumed control of the establish- ment. He continued it as a repair shop until October, 1920, when he secured the Buick agency, retaining this for ten years. In 1922 he had also become a Chevrolet dealer and since 1930 has handled only this line of sales merchandise. Originally the shop fronted to the west one block from the square but in 1925 additional space was rented and the front was opened toward the east, just one block from the former front, making the present business a block long. Since Mr. Pickinpaugh's return from the war the concern which he heads has grown and prospered until it now probably does more business than any other automobile agency in Schuyler county, selling in normal conditions about one hundred cars a year. His company has the agency for the entire county and also handles gasoline and oil, likewise doing general repair work. The firm has about fourteen people on its pay-roll, including salesmen, mechanics, office help and service men, and the organization functions efficiently in all of its de- partments, reflecting the initiative, the progressive spirit, the straightforward methods and the business acumen of its owner and directing head. Mr. Pickinpaugh was married June 30, 1921, to Miss Helena Munson, who was born in Astoria, Illinois, August 4, 1893, and completed a course in the Rushville high school, continuing her studies in the Illinois Women's College at Jacksonville, where she received the Bachelor of Arts degree in 1913. A capable and successful educator, she was in succession a teacher in the Chad- dock Boys School at Quincy for two years, an instructor at Rush- ville for two years, a principal here for a similar length of time, a teacher at Danville for a year and also at Dundee, Illinois, for a year. Her father, Dr. Henry O. Munson, was born in Potsdam, St. Lawrence county, New York, August 14, 1867, and when very young journeyed westward with his parents, George A. and Harriet (Wetmore) Munson, who settled upon a farm in Iowa. In Grinnell, that state, he completed his high school education and then attended the medical college of the University of Minnesota, continuing his studies in the Hahnemann Medical College of Chicago, from which he was graduated in 1890. After practicing medicine and surgery in Wisconsin for four years he took a course in the Chicago Post-Graduate College and then followed his profession in Astoria, Illinois, for a time. In 1894 he removed to Rushville and here he has maintained an office for more than three and a half decades, meanwhile furthering his scientific knowledge by study in London, England, in 1897 and post-graduate work in New York city in 1918. Dr. Munson has utilized every opportunity to perfect himself in his profession and his steadily developing powers have placed him with the foremost physicians and surgeons of Illinois. His practice was interrupted in 1918, when he enlisted, and on August 1 he received a captain's commission. Called upon for active military duty September 5, 1918, he was sent to New York as a member of the medical corps of the United States Army and sailed for France on the 6th of October. He was on duty at Le Havre as a camp surgeon until the signing of the armistice and was mustered out at Camp Taylor near Louisville, Kentucky, February 5, 1919. Dr. Munson has since practiced continuously in Rushville and in addition to caring for his many patients he is capably discharging the duties of county coroner. The members of the Schuyler County Medical Society have chosen him as their president, which office he now holds, and he also belongs to the Illinois State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. In the work of the Rushville Community Club he takes an active part and is likewise identified with the American Legion, the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church and maintains an independent attitude in politics, placing the qualifications of a candidate before party ties. Hunting, fishing and other outdoor sports afford him the necessary relaxation and diversion. On Christmas day of 1890, Dr. Munson was married to Miss Jennie C. Cleary, who was born near Princeton, Missouri, August 24, 1867, and prepared for the career of an educator by taking a course in the Normal School at Kirksville, that state, subsequently teaching in North Dakota for several years. The family of Dr. and Mrs. Munson numbers three daughters : Helena, who married Guy Pickinpaugh; Marian Annette, who was born November 13, 1897, and is the wife of J. Gordon Smith of Plant City, Florida, and the mother of two children, Marian Ann and Joan; and Harriett Fay, who is now Mrs. Reginald Klatt, of Baltimore, Maryland.
Mr. and Mrs. Pickinpaugh have one child, Dorcas Jane, born April 7, 1930. The parents are active members of the First Methodist Episcopal Church and Mr. Pickinpaugh is serving on its official board, while his wife belongs to its Missionary So- ciety. Fraternally he is a Mason and formerly was affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In 1921 he was made commander of the local post of the American Legion and Mrs. Pickinpaugh is connected with the woman's auxiliary of that organization. She has held office in the Eastern Star and is also identified with the Woman's Club of Rushville. Mr. Pickinpaugh is a member of the Rushville Community Club and the Chicago Motor Club. Politically he is a republican but is not active in the affairs of the party, feeling that his business requires his undivided attention, and his energy, ability and integrity have carried him far in his chosen field of endeavor. Moreover, he has a pleasing personality and the qualities which make for esteem and friendship.
Guy is buried in Schuyler County 1892-1962, with Helena Fey (Munson) Pickinpaugh 1893-1995.
"One of the first three children born to Marion and Julia Amanda nee Dunlavy Pickinpaugh outside of Seibert in a Sod House. Had the local Olds Buick Dealership in town."

BEULAH

Beulah R. married Harold J. Caldwell, and is buried in Schuyler County 1894-1990

"Bradford L. Caldwell, 70, of rural Industry, died Friday, March 30, 2001, at Culbertson Memorial Hospital in Rushville.
He was born Nov. 6, 1930, in Littleton Township, the son of Harold and Beulah Pickinpaugh Caldwell. He married Dorothy Russell in Industry on Dec. 6, 1953. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Ed (Sue) Collins of Macomb; one son, Dan, (wife Tammy) Caldwell of Industry; four grandchildren; one brother, Merle (wife Hope) Caldwell of Industry; three sisters, Alleyne (husband Raymond) Bartlow of Littleton, Carol Jean (husband Paul) Rowland of Macomb, and Joyce (husband Sam) Spring of North Henderson. He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Ernest CaIdwell.
He had lived and farmed his entire life in Littleton Township near Industry. He was an army veteran of the Korean War, was a member of the Schuyler-Brown County F.S. board for 22 years, an Industry School Board member for many years, and was an active member of the Industry United Methodist Church.
Funeral services were held Monday, April 2, 2001, at the Clugston-Tibbitts Funeral Home in Macomb. Rev. Jerry Sawyer officiated and burial was in the Industry Cemetery. "

"Mrs. Joyce E. Spring, 81, of North Henderson died at 11:20 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017, at CGH Medical Center, Sterling, surrounded by family.
She was born Jan. 27, 1936, in Schuyler County, the daughter of Harold and Beulah (Pickinpaugh) Caldwell. She married Sam Spring on Aug. 8, 1952, in Palmyra, Mo. Sam preceded her in death on Nov. 7, 2009.
Surviving are two sons, Chris (and Lynne) Spring, of Oneida, and Junior (and Dee) Spring, of Rockford; three daughters, Pam (and Stuart) Bjorgan, of Detroit Lakes, Minn., Sally (and Wade) Ankesheiln, of Lexington, Ill., and Michele (and Brett) Jones, of Tampico; 15 grandchildren, CJ (and Marcy) Spring, Richie Spring, Marcy (and Ben) Strand, Ryne Sage (and Bethany Jackson), Bryn (and Jolene) Sage, Haley Sage (and Matt Lewis), Katie Spring, Tim Bjorgan (and Bri Soine), Kim (and Wayne) Walk, Cody Logsdon, Emily Ankesheiln, Steph Retherford, Dustin Retherford, Samantha (and Bryan) White, and Nick Spring (and Kira Jensen); and 18 great-grandchildren (#19 expected in April); sisters-in-law, Helen Koestner and Dorothy Caldwell of Macomb, Pat (and Dick) Turner, Oneida and Marcella Peacock, Chicago; brothers-in-law, Bud (and Joyce) Spring, Industry and Ron (and Mary) Spring, Galesburg.
She was preceded in death by her husband; her parents; son, Randy Spring; infant son, Byron; grandson, Robbie Logsdon; brothers, Lewis, Ernest, Merle, and Bradford; and sisters, Alleyne Bartlow and Carol Jean Rowland.
She worked at Protexall, Galesburg Research Hospital, and Zeller Mental Health Center, retiring in 2001.
She was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother, and “other mother” to her kids’ friends. She loved her gardens and being outdoors tending them. In season, there was always fresh fruit or vegetables ready for sharing. She spent endless hours canning and freezing. She also enjoyed going to and watching movies. She loved having all of her family around for big dinners, especially at Christmas.
Visitation will be 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12, 2017, at Hinchliff-Pearson-West Galesburg Chapel. Funeral service will be 1:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13, 2017, at the chapel with Rev. Terry Lancaster officiating. Cremation will be accorded following the funeral. "

" Ernest L. Caldwell, 75, of rural Macomb, died Monday, Jan. 3, 2000, at McDonough District Hospital.   
  Born Dec. 30, 1924, in Littleton to Harold and Beulah Pickinpaugh Caldwell, he married Helen Lung on Nov. 21, 1948, in Murrayville. She survives.    
Also surviving are two sons, Tony (and Kim) of Good Hope and Philip of Mt. Sterling two daughters, Angela (and Jeff) Morrell of Good Hope and Gloria (and Ed) Van Kan of Arlington, Va.; two brothers, Merle (and Hope) of Branson, Mo., and Bradford (and Dorothy) of Industry; three sisters, Mrs. Raymond (Alleyne) Bartlow of Littleton, Mrs. Paul (Carol Jean) Rowland of Macomb and Mrs. Sam (Joyce) Spring of North Henderson; four grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.    
He was a World War II Army veteran, serving as an engineer in the Pacific Theater. He also served in the Korean War.    
He was a firefighter for the Macomb Fire Department for 28 years, attaining the rank of captain. He retired in 1986.   
  He attended University Baptist Church in Macomb.   
  Services were Friday at Clugston-Tibbitts Funeral Home in Macomb. The Rev. Richard Hurtgen officiated. Burial was in Forest Lawn Memory Gardens in Macomb, where military rites were conducted by the Macomb Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion posts.     Memorials may be made to the MDH Larry Westervelt Home. "


RUTH
Ruth Pickinpaugh (McCutchan) 1898-1996 is buried in McDonough County.
" Ruth McCutchan, 97, a resident of the Care Center in Abingdon, formerly of Plymouth, died at 9:15 a.m. Tuesday, March 5, 1996 in the center.
She was born Oct. 10, 1898 in Schuyler County near Camden to Marion and Amanda (Dunlavy) Pickinpaugh. She married G. Clarence McCutchan on July 21, 1924 in Macomb. He preceded her in death on Oct. 22, 1981.
She is survived by one son, William McCutchan of Seattle, Wash.; two daughters, Mrs. Betty Johnson of Rushville; Mrs. Pat White of Abingdon; one brother, Howard Pickinpaugh of Tahlequah, Okla.; 16 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
She was also preceded in death by one son, Dr. Harold McCutchan, three brothers, Harry, Guy, and Lloyd Pickinpaugh, and three sisters, Ruby Pickinpaugh, Beulah Caldwell, and Lois Frowein.
Mrs. McCutchan was a retired schoolteacher having taught in White Frame, Hickory, Adair, Willow Grove, East Union, Oak Grove, Independence, Plymouth, Paige and Bentley schools. She was a graduate of Western Academy and received her teaching certificate from Western Illinois Teachers College in Macomb. She was a member of Plymouth Research Forum, Hancock County Home Extension, United Methodist Women, World War I Barracks Auxiliary in Augusta, Hancock County Retired Teachers. She loved to travel, quilt and collect dolls.
Services were held at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Plymouth United Methodist Church in Plymouth with the Rev. Martha Scaff and the Rev. Phil Hedgecock officating. Burial will be in the Forest Lawn Memory Garden in Macomb. "

LOIS

Lois May Pickinpaugh, age 19, married Howard Frowein on September 1, 1921, in Schuyler County.

WILLIAM

William Howard Pickinpaugh was born March 8, 1909 in Schuyler County.
In 1930 he's a metal finisher at a Ford factory in Indianapolis, rooming with the Willie and Helen alvin family.

In 1940 he's a metal finisher in Lansing, Michigan, 31, with Mildred, 26 born in Illinois. Jane Ann seven months was born in Michigan.
Mildred was born Dec 5, 1912 at Rushville, Illinois to Joseph Applegate and Mary G. Little, as Brunson in 1947, dying Sept 24, 1997.

Mildred married Harold Brunson on September 12, 1947 in Dirand, Michigan, living at Lansing.


On December 31, 1948, he married R. Irene Cox in Livingston County, Michigan.

Per # 83721556, he died in Tahlequah, Oklahoma July 2, 1998.
Another post said he lived in Corpus Christi about 1983.
"Marie was born and raised in Ypsilanti, Michigan and is the oldest of four, 2 sisters (Deborah, Anita) and a brother (Don). (She also has 2 half sisters, Jane & Janet.) Her dad [W. Howard Pickinpaugh - 1908-98] was born in Camden, Illinois and her mother [Irene Cox - 1917-2002] was born in the "showboat" city, Chesaning, Michigan."

Washtenaw County, Michigan "MONDAY, APRIL 1, 2002
PICKINPAUGH, R. Irene, 84, of Tahlequah, Ok. (formerly of Ypsilanti); Stark Funeral Service, Moore Memorial Chapel."

February 1957, Lansing, Michigan "The engagement of Miss Jane Pickinpaugh to James Terry Walton has been announced by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Brunson, 1135 W. Washtenaw st. Mr. Walton is the son of Jack Walton, 1232 W. Kalamazoo st. The couple plans to wed in June."

EZRA LLOYD

Ezra, born Sept 10, 1905 in Schuyler COunty, died August 22, 1995 in Quincy, Illinois.

RUBY
Ruby 1900-1901 was born in Schuyler County.





Back to Family History Index

This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.