Kit Carson County, Colorado

COGenWeb Logo

Kit Carson County Pioneers:

George M. and Flora (Moss) Baxter, Judson and Caroline Moss, Bessie (Moss) and Arthur Strong, Orson Moss, 8 South 49 West

In 1900 Boone County, Illinois, Judson Moss is 47, Caroline 41, with Vina 19, Leroy 18, Edna 16, Bessie 13, Flora born December 1891, and Orson 7, all born in Illinois.
Belvidere Illinois - January 27, 1911
Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Moss and Family, Mr. and Mrs. Clark Peacock, of this county, and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Strong of Chicago wlll also relocate with Mr. Moss and family on the tract of 160 acres. Mr. Moss and his son Orson and Messrs. Peacock and Strong will start for the west Feb. 7 with a couple of cars of goods and stock. Those of the families remaining will join them later in the season.

Judson C. Moss proved up two quarters in 18, 10S 50W in 1914.
Mrs. Edna Peacock is a cook at the Sinton dairy in Colorado Springs in 1916, living at 519 S. El Paso.

1913 " Clark Peacock died at a few minutes past one o'clock this morning at his home on the Deacon Winne 'farm south of the city of Injuries he received late Saturday afternoon while working with a gang of men sawing wood with engine and buzz saw at his home. He was caught in the shafting and after being whirled about was thrown to the ground with fearful impact, one side of his skull being fractured, and the ribs and collar bone on the right side being, broken. His clothing was entirely stripped from his body except his shoes and stockings and one wristband. He was taken to his home unconscious and Dr. Mclnnes and Dr. Andrews summoned, arriving a few minutes later. The Injured man did not recover consciousness up to the time of his death. The accident came with such lightning-like rapidity that the men working with him scarcely knew what happened. Tbey were busy at work whep suddenly the victim of the accident was caught by the shafting, whirled about and hurled to the ground. They ran to his assistance and carried him to the house. Among those assisting were Ray Winne and Ed Reser. The news of tho tragedy is a shock to many friends who knew and appreciated the maqy good qualities of the victim of the accident. He leaves a widow, who was Miss Edna Moss, a daughter of Judson Moss, now of Colorado, and three small children, the eldest of whom is eight years old. Clark Peacock was forty one years of age, and the son of Thomas Peacock, for many, years a prominent resident of the district southwest of Cheery Valley. There are two sisters, Mrs. Ben Haga and Mlsa Mary, both of Rockford, and six brothers, Asat, who lives near Cherry Valley, John, near Bsloit, Andrew, of Bonus, Robert of Harvard, Oscar near Rockford, and Joe of Harvard. The sympathy of many friends will be extended to the bereaved family. The funeral services will be held on Wednesday, services at the house and at the First Baptist church, interment being in the Belvidere cemetery."

November 21, 1916 Belvidere, Ill "An event of much interest to their many friends took place at Freeport, Illinois, when Mrs. Edna Peacock of Colorado Springs, Colorado, and Benjamin D. Haga of Rockford, Ill., were united in marriage by Rev. James O'May of the Methodist church, at 5 p. m. Saturday, November 18, 1916. The bride was attired in a pearl grey tharmeuae; with silver trimmings and wore a large white hat. The Impressive ring ceremony was used. Mrs. Haga waa born in Boone county and has lived nearly her entire life in the vicinity of Belvidere, having removed to Colorado about a year and a half ago. She is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Judson C. Moss, formerly of Belvidere, but now of Flagler, Colorado. Mr. Haga, formerly of Cherry Valley, has lived in Rockford for a number of years and holds a responsible position with Hugh McEachran, the contractor. The bride and groom are both well known in this vicinity and have a wide circle of friends who will unite in wishing them much happiness in their future life. They will be at home to their many friends at the groom's residence "

Judson 1854-1924 and Caroline 1859-1932 are buried in Boone County # 115501084.

October 22, 1924 "Judson C. Moss, for many years a highly respected resident of Boone county, died at the Public hospital at 4 o'clock Tuesday afternoon following an injury sustained when he was kicked by a cow, the accident taking place on his farm, the Puis place on the river road, on Thursday evening. Mr. Moss had gone to the stable to do the evening milking, and was kicked In the side by a young heifer just as he was about to sit down tc milk her. While suffering much pain he...

Judson C. Moss was born in Boone county March 17, 1854, and had lived most of his seventy years in this county. having spent twelve years In Colorado, and then coinis back here. He was united with the First Baptist churoh at an early age, and throughout hl useful life was known as an upright, conscientious Christian gentleman, one whose word was as good as his bond. He, always exertedxa good influence, was! a fine citizen, and had no enemies. He retained to the last the fine faith ' that had always sustained him, and faced 'the end which he knew was approaching with courage and fortitude, unafraid. He was a man highly esteemed by his neighbors and held the confidence of all with whom he had dealings. He served his town as road commissioner for nine years. ' He was the son of Asa and Elvira Moss, pioneer residents of this county, who took up their land from the government in an early day. The members of the bereaved family, left to mourn his passing, receive the deep sympathy of many friends..
Mrs. vma Laugnnage, of Minot, South Dakota; Mrs. Flora Baxter, of Flagler, Colo.; Mrs. Edna Haga of Rockford, and the sons Ray and Orson, one daughter, Miss Bessie, passed away two years ago.

In 1895 Logan County, Kansas, E.E. Baxter is 41, born in Ohio, Margarett A. 35 Illinois. Emma 18 in Illinois, Clara B. 11 Nebraska, Geo. M. 9 Nebraska, and Ralph 2, Kansas.
They're still in Logan County in 1900, and have added Charles in September 1897. George is still with Elmer and Maggie in Logan County, Kansas in 1910, with Ralph R. 17, Charles A. 12, and Louis P. 8.
Margaret 1861-1931 and Elmer 1853-1927 are buried in Oakley, Kansas # 32902927.
George proved up 240 acres in 11, 8S 50W in 1914, and a tract in 17, 8 South, 49W in 1921.
George M. Baxter and Flora B. Moss, both of Flagler, married in Flagler August 11, 1914.
Flora B. Baxter, formerly Flora Moss, proved up two quarters in 11 and 12, 8S 50W in 1918.
George Marvin Baxter registered with a Flagler, Colorado address, born Aug 17, 1886 in Blue Springs, Nebraska, with a wife and child.
March 14, 1917 Belvidere " birth of a son to Mr. and Mrs. George Baxter at Flagler, Colorado. The mother was formerly Miss Flora Moss."
In 1920 Kit Carson County, George is 33, born in Nebraska, Flora 29, Illinois, and they have Judson G. 2, COlorado.
They're still in Kit Carson County in 1930, where George is managing a farm products store, with Judson 13 and Jean 6.
In 1940 George is a rancher and county commissioner, with Flora 48 and Jean K. 16.
George M. Baxter 1886-1948 # 270022138, and Flora B. Baxter 1890-1975 # 2700256 are buried in Flagler.
January 13, 1948 Belvidere, Illinois "'George Marvin Baxter, Flagler, Colo., brother-in-law of Roy Moss of this city, died January 3 of a heart attack while returning by auto to his home ranch from Los Angeles, Cal according to word received by the local man. Mr. Baxter was the husband of the former Belle Moss, who was born and raised here. He was commissioner of Kit Carson county."

Judson E. Baxter, born March 3, 1917, died March 28, 1990 in Kern County California, mother's maiden name Moss.
Per # 85848536, Judson Elmer Baxter 1917-1990 is buried in Los Angeles, California.

1910 Belvidere "A large audience attended the piano recital last Thursday evening at Kimball hall given by Mrs. Arthur Strong and Flora Moss for the benefit of the Logan Square Baptist church. Mrs. Strong is a well and favor ably known piano teacher In Logan"

Flora's sister Bessie, daughter of Judson C. Moss and Carrie Burdiell, married Arthur Strong, 25, son of Dudley S. Strong and Mary Cary, in 1907 in Boone County.
Arthur is working for the electric company in Chicago in 1910, 27, married one year to Bessie 24, both born in Illinois.
Arthur proved up two quarters in 18, 10S 50W in 1914 - adjoining Judson Moss' claim.
Arthur Edward Strong registered with a Flagler address, born May 17, 1882, relative Mrs. Bessie M. Strong.
Bessie is buried in Flagler - 1886-1921 # 27002180.
Belvidere, Illinois Daily Republican Dec 12, 1921 "Mrs. Strong went in 1911 and settled on a home- Colorado appointed superintendent of the Flagler Municipal water and light plant. Mrs. Strong united with the Baptist church at the ige of 14 years, but during her residi ice In Colorado was affiliated with t e Flagjer Congregational church. S ie was president of the Ladies' Aid f clety and a teacher of a class of gi s In the Sunday school at the time o her demise. There surv ve her husband and an adopted son, ilaynard. her father and mother, siste Mrs. Flora Baxter and brother, Ors i Moss, of Flagler, and brother, Roy E. Moss, and sisters, Mrs. Vina L Jghrldge and Mrs. Edna"

In 1930 Arthur is back in Chicago, an electrician, married to Lillian, both 47. He registered for WWII with an address of Ingleside,, Illinois, still working for Commonwealth Edison in Chicago.
Arthur died in 1962, last residence Florida.

Orson Clark Moss registered with a Flagler address, born Feb 28, 1893 at Belvidere, Illinois, farming, single, with defective hearing and sight.
But he's in Salt Lake City in 1920, a laborer in a boarding house, and in 1930 and 1940 in Elgin Illinois at the State Hospital, a dairy worker.

Orson 1893-1956 is buried in Belvidere, Illinois # 115501108.
June 21 1972 Belvidere, Illinois "Roy E. Moss, 90, 1208 Grover St., died at 7:20 a.m. Wednesday in Highland Hospital after an illness of one week. He was a prominent life-long resident of Boone County and was employed as an Insurance agent for 30 years, retiring in 1962.... First Baptist Church, a 50 year and chater member of County Line Grange, former secretary and lecturer of Illinois State Grange. He organized a number of granges in this area for the state. He is survived by one son, Leon Moss, Belvidere; one stepdaughter, Mrs. Doris Morton, Pecatonica; one step-son, Kenneth Easton, Rockford; one sister, Mrs. Flora Baxter, Flagler, Colo.; two grandchildren; and two greatgrandchildren. He was preceded in death, in McGovern's own supporters are part of the problem. The vast majority of his delegates will be at a national convention for the first time. There are those in the McGovern organiration who fear demands for, hard-line planks in the party platform, perhaps for the legalization of marijuana and abortion. Humphrey has raised both those topics in his criticism of McGovern, who has said he favors neither. It will take firm leadership, from McGovern and his campaign managers, to keep the delegates in control. Gary Hart, the campaign director, said he is convinced the delegates aligned with McGovern will heed the precepts of political pragmatism when the time comes, and do what is best for the man they want nominated Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Buck-Wheeler-Hyland Funeral Home with the Rev. George T. Ballein of First Baptist Church officiating. Burial will be in Belvidere Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday. A memorial has been established in his name for the building fund for the First Baptist Church. He was born April 14, 1882 in Boone County, the son of Judson C. and Carolyn E. Burdick Moss. He married Dora Barr on Feb. 23, 1905 in Belvidere. In Nov., 1942 he married Gay A. Easton in Rockford. Both preceded him in death."

Francis Ray Goodwin, known by most as Slim, was born to Van and Minta Thompson Goodwin September 15, 1918, at his grandparent Thompson's home north of Flagler. He was the second of six sons. They were all raised by the values their parents taught them, to be honest and trustworthy men. Slim started his school years at Flagler and, after moving south of town, he attended school at 2nd Central through the 10th grade. He didn't care much for school, and when the opportunity came to go to work at the Rush Creek Ranch, he was happy to take it. At the age of 17, he began a life as a cowboy, and did everything asked of him, which included breaking horses, building fence, and caking cattle. The roundup time was his favorite job of all. He could ride a horse with the greatest of ease and knew how to handle cattle well. While there, he camped in a little trailer south of Eads in what was known as the "Lake Country." Not many would have enjoyed the quiet, lonely life he lived there, as the only time he saw anyone else was when someone would bring water to fill his cistern or something to eat. But he loved this way of life. His only transportation was horseback, and he would leave early in the morning with the horse bucking and return late at night, many miles later. When they started calling men up for the Service, he tried several times to enlist, but they truned him down because of the sight in one of his eyes. He was called in later on limited service and was inducted July 30, 1942. He was stationed at Lowry Air Force Base and his first job after boot camp was washing pots and pans. Along with his good friend Pete Pedersen, he continued to work this job for six months. They always made the comment that one thing about it they could never be put on KP because they were already there. After that, he was a cook, first at Lowry and later at Fort Logan, where he cooked for the hospital officers. After completion of his state side duty, he was transferred to Salt Lake city and then to California to be shipped overseas June 1, 1945. He landed in Burma, India, July 9, 1945, where he cooked for the pilots that were flying to China. He returned to the States February 4, 1946, when he had enough points to come home. While stationed at Lowry, he returned to Flagler to ride in a rodeo they were having. He got bucked off and broke his wrist, so re remained home on leave to recuperate. While there, he met his wife to be, Zoe Jones, who was just completing high school in Flagler. They were engaged in September and were married March 6, 1944. He was supposed to be "Permanent Party" at that time, so they moved to Englewood, where they could live off base. When he got his orders to be shipped overseas, he had 10 days to move Zoe back to Flagler, as she was expecting their first child. Sandra Rae was born June 21, 1945, while Slim was en route on his 40 day trip to India. She was a month old before he found out she was born. He saw her for the first time when he arrived back home eight months later. After his duty in the Service was completed, he got his job back at Eads Livestock Ranch and Zoe worked as a cook for the cow hands. They returned to the Flagler area, where they worked for George Baxter and later purchased his ranch. This came to be the home that they loved so much, where they raised their family. They had their second daughter, Penny Evon, May 14, 1949, and a son, Scott Joe, January 19, 1955. They enjoyed their lives on the ranch and considered this the best time of their lives, through the good and bad years. They survived the awful dirt storms of the 1950's and some pretty severe snow storms. During one severe snow storm, the girls spent six weeks in town with their Goodwin grandparents because the roads were impassable. Slim's health started failing in 1974, and in 1976, they purchased a house in Seibert, where he made his home until the time of his death. His son, Scott, remained on the ranch, and Slim continued to drive out every day and remained active with the cattle operation for several years. Up until the time of his death, he still liked to take drives out to the ranch as it was always, "out home." After making his home in Seibert, Slim got the opportunity to drive a bus for the school, and drove it for 10 years. He really enjoyed the kids he carried on the bus. He always wanted to drive a big four wheel drive tractor, and he hot the opportunity while helping Gregg Loutzenhiser during the summer. He did this for nearly five years. He enjoyed the time he spent with their family, and he and Leonard Smith became good friends while doing things together. They always commented that it took the two of them to make one good man. While in Seibert, Slim was the caretaker for the Seibert Cemetery for a number of years and took pride in caring for it. Slim welcomed two sons-in-law, Bill Cowgill and Carroll Will, and one daughter-in-law, Ilene Graham, into the family and they were always considered "his kids," too. He enjoyed his family very much and was especially proud of his six grandkids, Mark and Tina Will, Misty and Kimberly Cowgill, and Melissa and Kevin Goodwin. He was always interested in what they were doing and loved their visits and phone calls. After 50 years of marriage, a reception was held in Slim and Zoe's honor, and this was a very special day in their lives. They enjoyed so much seeing and visiting with their friends and family and all the cards and phone calls they received. After the lung disease that plagued his body for years got worse, he enjoyed working with a scroll saw, cutting out pictures and projects. When his health worsened, it limited him on what he could do, but he still enjoyed driving over the country side, seeing the cattle and crops along the way. With the love and assistance of a caring and loving wife, he was able to remain at home where he wanted to be. Slim will be remembered as a man that never had a bad word to say about anyone. He always said that if you didn't have something good to say, it didn't need to be said. He was a man of patience, even at a time when every breath was a struggle, you never heard him complain. He would always say, "it will be alright," and now it is. He slipped into his final rest August 22, 1998, at the Hugo Hospital with his Family beside him. Slim was preceded in death by his parents, Van and Minta Goodwin; three brothers, Dale, Lowell (Babe), and Lawrence (Larry). He leaves behind Zoe, his wife of 54 years, his children, Sandra and Carroll Will, Bill and Penny Cowgill, and Scott and Ilene Goodwin; and six grandchildren. He also leave behind two brothers, Russ and Jamie Goodwin, and Bill and Ruby Goodwin, and two sisters-in-law, Veva Morris and Pearl Gleickman, along with a host of nieces, nephews and many friends.

This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.