George cash-claimed a quarter in 9, 7N 48W in 1890.
He might be the George E Horrum in 1880 Gage County Nebraska, a farm laborer, 20 born in Indiana, with Luther 50 and Elsie 47. Siblings Melvin 25, Jane E, Anna 11, and William H. 3.
In 1880 L. R. Horrum, who had taken a home-stead near Adams, Gage County in 1868, working in the meantime at his trade as a harness maker in connection with his farm work, built a harness shop in Adams, and this he conducted until his death, in 1913, the business still being carried on by his son, George Horrum. The senior Horrum built the first brick business house in Adams-
(Barmore next to him in Colorado likely was the one in Gage County in 1880, too)
In 1900 Gage County, Adams township - the same one as Barmore- George is a harnessmaker, born Oct 1859 has been married 17 years to Sarah born May 1863 in Nebraska. Viola G Jan 1887 and Clarinda E. April 1892 all born in Nebraska.
His father Luther R is on the same census page in 1900.
|Silas Bryson was born June 20, 1835, in Athens county, Ohio. There
he spent his boyhood days and he completed his education at
the Zanesville Academy. On April 12, 1855, he was united in marriage to Clarinda Young, of Morgan county, Ohio. To this
union were born fifteen children, twelve of whom are still living at the opening of the year 1918.
In April, 1862, the Bryson family came to Nebraska Territory and settled in what is now Johnson county, near the Bents Mills. Here
they remained four years and they removed to Gage county and established their home near Adams, where Silas Bryson continued
to reside until the time of his death. Shortly after coming to Nebraska the family had reason to be considerably in fear of the Indians,
and on one occasion word came of an Indian uprising. All of the neighbors for miles around banded together and started for Nebraska City, sixty miles distant. Terrible rain storms came on, all the bedding became soaked, the victuals were ruined and the settlers were in dire distress. The third morning Mother Bryson arose in camp and announced her intentions of going back home.
She said, "This style of living is worse than the Indians, and I am going back." Her courage inspired the crowd and by night the next day all arrived at home and found that their habitations had not been disturbed or their property molested. One winter when meat was scarce Father Bryson saw a fine big turkey coming into the clearing from the woods, and running back for his gun he soon brought the turkey down. This was the day before Christmas, and there was surely holiday rejoicing in the pioneer home. The older children have often said, "It was the finest Christmas dinner we ever had, and no turkey since has tasted half so good."
Mr. Bryson was one of the early pioneer school teachers of Gage and Johnson counties, where he spent thirty-five years in the
noble work of moulding the characters of Nebraska boys and girls. He organized the Adams Methodist Episcopal Sunday School
and for seventeen years was its superintendent. Mr. and Mrs. Bryson were charter members of the Methodist Episcopal church
of Adams. Their oldest grandson. Dr. Roy D. Bryson, is one of the Nebraska surgeons in the war and is now in France. Three other
grandsons, Edgar Evans, Horace Patch, and Frank L. Bryson, and a grand-son-in-law, James F. Brown, also are in the government
service in connection with the great world war. Mrs. W. W. Bamhouse, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Silas Bryson, lives at Wheeler, Kansas ; William E. makes his home at University Place, Nebraska; three daughters, Mrs. George Horrum, Mrs. Viola Sheppard, and Mrs. Mollie Barmore, live at Adams, Gage county, as do also the sons David F., the well-known auctioneer, and John A.; one daughter, Mrs. Jennie Patch, lives at Canby, Oregon; Mrs. Ruth Bassett lives at Bayard, Nebraska; S. Y. resides at Grand Island, this state; George lives at Arcadia, Nebraska; and another daughter, Mrs. Gertrude Evans, lives at Lincoln, Nebraska's capital city.
Although the members of this good family are much scattered, yet their influence is still felt throughout Gage county. Mother Bryson
passed to her reward on April 2, 1909, and Father Bryson remained with us until November 10, 1915, when he answered the summons of his Maker and joined the heavenly assembly around the throne of God.