Danial Kirtright


State Herald

 Holyoke, Colorado

 October 25, 1895


Word was received Saturday about noon that Danial Kirtright had died that morning from the effects of a dose of strychnine which he had taken. He had been for some time living with his son, George.


He had risen from the bed that morning and shortly after partaking of a light breakfast he had taken a dose of strychnine. The family soon noticed that he was suffering from some cause and on being questioned he told them what he had taken. His son George immediately saddled a horse and rode for the nearest physician,


Mrs. *E.V. Champan, who reached the sufferer as soon as possible, but found that although still conscious, it was impossible to save his life. He told Mrs. *Champan that he had taken a dose of strychnine. It seems that the deceased had carried the strychnine in his pocket for several weeks before he took it.


He was well up in his years and for some time had seemed to be failing rapidly in both body and mind and the act of taking the poison was without doubt the act of a man whose mind had become unbalanced by age and disease.


The account of his death and the cause of death was a shock to his many friends in the county and a severe blow to the family of his son, George, who have the sympathy of many friends in their sorrow. The remains was buried at the Lowe cemetery southwest of Holyoke. [Jarvis Cemetery]


* Emma U. Chapman.

All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.


Last updated December 2017