Colorado GenWeb Saguache County Colorado Genealogy USGenWeb
If you have trouble using the buttons above, here is a more traditional HTML menu for reaching other pages.

Saguache County Gazetteer

This page contains information about all sorts of places in Sagauche County; not only those that exist today, but those that may no longer exist. Where the place name is underlined, it is a link that will bring up the "home page" within USGS' GNIS for this place, including links to a number of map options. Keep in mind that for a feature like a stream, it may appear on multiple maps and at multiple coordinates. Some of this information has come from the Colorado GENWEB page named Colorado Places by County which covers all counties and lists many good geographical publications in it's bibliography. If you have corrections or additions for the Gazetteer, please send them to the County Coordinator. NOTE: This page is under construction and will take some time to be complete. Your corrections and suggestions are welcome. Key: ALT = Altitude in feet; GPS = Latitude and Longitude on a GPS unit; USGS 7.5 Map = Name of US Geodetic Survey Map that contains this place.

If you have similar information you would like to make available online but just don't have the place or the expertise, please contact the County Coordinator.


Alder (Alias Round Hill) ALT: 8,543 GPS: Lat-382210N Long-1060222W USGS 7.5 Map: Whale Hill
A post office by this name existed from 1881 to 1927. Described in 1911 like this: Station on D. & R. G. R. R. 20 miles south of Salida in Saguache county. Mining supply point. Population 50.

Amethyst (Absorbed by Creede):
In Saguache when it was created, it has been absorbed by present day Creede and it's territory is now located in Mineral county. No further details known at this time.

Antelope Springs (Alias Cow Camp):
No further details known at this time.

Baca Grant #4:
This was an 1860 land grant (before Saguache was created) that is now in Saguache county. Also see Luis Maria Baca Grant. No further details known at this time.

Bachlor (Absorbed by Creede):
In Saguache when it was created, it has been absorbed by present day Creede and it's territory is now located in Mineral county. No further details known at this time.

Barnum:
A post office from 1876 to 1881. Later moved to Gunnison county. No further details known at this time.

Biedell:
A post office from 1883 to 1884. PO was moved to Carnero. No further details known at this time.

Big Bill:
A former mining camp in Saguache. No further details known at this time.

Bismark:
An official post office from 1872 to 1879. Still on the map in 1899. No further details known at this time.

Bland:
Described like this in 1911: Post office in Saguache county, panning the principal industry. Population 10.

Bonanza (alias Bonanza City) ALT: 9,478 GPS: Lat-381741N Long-1060832W USGS 7.5 Map: Bonanza
Incorporated in 1881 and an official post office from 1880 to 1938. All that now remains of the once booming mining town of Bonanza are a few dwellings. Anne Ellis wrote "The Life of an Ordinary Women" about growing up in Bonanza from age 6 to 16. Described like this in 1911: Mining town in Saguache county. Daily stage to Villa Grove, the nearest railroad point 16 miles. Population 100.

Bonito (alias Bonita) ALT: 9,334 GPS: Lat-381358N Long-1061254W USGS 7.5 Map: Klondike Mine
An official post office from 1881 to 1883. No further details known at this time.

Burnt Rock Gulch:
This was a former mining camp in Saguache. No further details known at this time.

Buxton:
A rail road station on the map from 1899 to 1923. No further details known at this time.

Camp Desolation:
Established before Saguache was formed in 1848 by John Fremont. Location is in present Saguache county. No further details known at this time.

Camp Hope:
Established before Saguache was formed in 1848 by John Fremont. Location is in present Saguache county. No further details known at this time.

Camp Rose:
Military post in Saguache from 1867 to 1869. No further details known at this time.

Cow Camp (alias Antelope Springs):
Also known as Antelope Springs. No further details known at this time.

Carnero (1st location):
A formal post office from 1870 to 1884). This post office was moved to Green. Described like this in 1911: Small agricutural town in Saguache county, 14 miles south of Saguache. Population of precinct 250.

Carnero (2nd location):
A formal post office from 1884 to 1911). This post office was moved here from Beidell. No further details known at this time.

Center (originally Centerview) ALT: 7,644 GPS: Lat-374511N Long-1060631W USGS 7.5 Map: Center North
Established in 1898 it was incorporated in 1906. Center now spans the border of Sanguache and Rio Grande counties. Described like this in 1911: A growing agricultural town near south line of Saguache county, 14 miles west of Hooper, the nearest railway point. Population 500.

Chester ALT: 9,399 GPS: Lat-382225N Long-1061806W USGS 7.5 Map: Chester
A small populated place that was a railroad station from 1895 to 1923.

Claytonia:
An official post office from 1881 to 1892 and still on the map as of 1899. No further details known at this time.

Clearwater (aka Gillette Station):
No further details known at this time.

Cochetopa ALT: 10,197 GPS: Lat-381427N Long-1064250W USGS 7.5 Map: Cochetopa Park
An official post office from 1877 to 1916. Incorporated in 1881 and presently treated by the census bureau as an inactive primary county division. Described like this in 1911: New postoffice in Saguache county. Population 10.

Cotton Creek (renamed to Mirage) ALT: 7,661 GPS: Lat-380610N Long-1055152W USGS 7.5 Map: Mirage
An official post office from 1875 to 1927. Initially called Cotton Creek. The name was changed to Mirage in 1895. Now considered a "historical" community that no longer exists as such.

Cottonwood ALT: 8,415 GPS: Lat-375604N Long-375604N USGS 7.5 Map: Crestone
No further details known at this time.

Creede (presently in Mineral county) ALT: 8,799 GPS: Lat-375057N Long-1065535W USGS 7.5 Map: Creede
Established in then Saguache county about 1890. Incorporated in 1892. When Mineral county was created, Creede became part of that new county. It absorbed the former Amethyst, Bachlor, and Jimtown).

Crestone (alias Creston) ALT: 7,923 GPS: Lat-375947N Long-1054159W USGS 7.5 Map: Crestone
Established in 1879, Crestone was incorporated in 1901. This tiny community's population was 73 in the 2000 census. Described like this in 1911: Small mining town in Saguache county, on a branch of the D. & R. G. R. R. Daily stage from Moffat. Population 250.

Cristonie (site of later Crestone) ALT: 7,923 GPS: Lat-375947N Long-1054159W USGS 7.5 Map: Crestone
An official post office in 1872 to 1873. It is believe this was at the current site of the later Crestone.

Crystal Hill:
An old mining camp in Saguache, perhaps near or at the Crystal Hill Mine. No further details known at this time.

Crystal Hill Mine ALT: 7,956 GPS: Lat-375036N Long-1061705W USGS 7.5 Map: Twin Mountains SE
No further details known at this time.

Cuenin (alias Cuerin):
An official post office in 1884 to 1892. The post office was moved to Cochetopa. No further details known at this time.

Davenport:
Railroad stop on 1895 map. No further details known at this time.

Deadman Cow Camp:
Early mining camp. No further details known at this time.

Duncan ALT: 8,110 GPS: Lat-375227N Long-1053652W USGS 7.5 Map: Liberty
Official post office from 1892 to 1900. No further details known at this time.

Dune:
An official post office from 1891 to 1895. No further details known at this time.

Elko:
RR Stop on 1895 map

Embargo ALT: 9,203 GPS: Lat-374822N Long-1063118W USGS 7.5 Map: Pine Cone Knob
An official post office from 1903 to 1905; listed as a locale today at the USGS GNIS database.

Exchequer:
aka Exchequerville PO 1881 to 1883

Flying M Ranch ALT: 8,835 GPS: Lat-381655N Long-1064459W USGS 7.5 Map: Razor Creek Dome
On 1964 map; listed as a locale today at the USGS GNIS database.

Garibaldi ALT: 7,985 GPS: Lat-381455N Long-1055657W USGS 7.5 Map: Villa Grove
Now named Villa Grove; Established in 1870; Renamed in 1872.

Garner's Creek:
Mining Camp 1885 map,

Gibson:
briefly Wabash PO 1911 to 1923

Gintown:
See Creede

Gitrells Ranch:
See Gillette

Gray Siding:
RR Stop 1887 map

Gray's:
On 1885 map

Great Sand Dunes National Park ALT: 8,497 GPS: Lat-374516N Long-1053333W USGS 7.5 Map : Liberty
In 2000 the national monument (since 1932) became one of our newer national parks, which stretches across eastern Saguache and Alamosa counties.

Green:
An official post office from 1884 (PO moved from Carneoro)

Halls:
1885 Waystop

Haumann/Hauman:
An official post office from 1882 to 1885

Herard:
An official post office from 1905 to 1912

Hillden:
RR Station 1895 map

Hot Springs:
RR Station 1895 map

Iris: ALT: 8,999 GPS: Lat-382458N Long-1064944W USGS 7.5 Map: Iris
An official post office from 1894 to 1902

January Cow Camp
Nothing further known at this time.

Jimtown:
aka Amethyst, Creedmore, Gintown & New Town - Est 1890, Saguache County; later in Mineral County. (Absorbed by Creede)

Julia City:
Mining Camp

Kerper City: ALT: 9,288 GPS: Lat-381658N Long-1060832W USGS 7.5 Map: Bonanza
1865 Military Camp; 1880s Mining Camp, (Absorbed by Bonanza)

Kimbrell:
On 1880s map

La Garita ALT: 7,831 GPS: Lat-375027N Long-1061448W USGS 7.5 Map: La Garita
Established in 1874. Described like this in 1911: Small town in Saguache county, 14 miles north, of Del Norte, the shipping point. Population 60.

Lazy KB Estates:
Nothing further known at this time.

Liberty ALT: 8,274 GPS: Lat-375137N Long-1053545W USGS 7.5 Map: Liberty
Official post office from 1900 to 1921. Described like this in 1911: Milling town and post office in Saguache county, 21 miles northeast of Hooper. Tri-weekly mails. Population 60.

Lockett:
An official post office from 1889 to 1905

Loma:
Est 1867 Saguache County; Inc 1885 in Rio Grande County

Los Mogotes:
An official post office from 1888 to 1890

Los Pinos:
An official post office from 1872 to 1877

Luis Maria Baca Grant:
aka Baca Grant, Vegas Grant 1821 Land Grant, Mexico. Now part of Saguache County. (Disputed mining and cattle area. Original grant confirmed by US Supreme Court.)

Marshall Pass:
RR Station 1895 map; PO 1919 to 1952

Marshalltown:
now Sargents Est 1880 (Name changed 1882)

Mesa Park Signal Station:
On 1923 map)

Mexican Town:
Mining Camp

Middle Jim Creek:
Mining Camp

Mill Settlement:
On 1923 map

Mill Switch:
On 1887 map

Milton:
RR Stop 1885 map

Mineral Hot Springs ALT: 8,635 GPS: Lat-381133N Long-1054857W USGS 7.5 Map: Valley View Hot Springs
Established 1880; official post office from 1911 to 1947.

Mirage (renamed from Cotton Creek) ALT: 7,661 GPS: Lat-380610N Long-1055152W USGS 7.5 Map: Mirage
An official post office from 1875 to 1927. Initially called Cotton Creek. The name was changed to Mirage in 1895. Now considered a "historical" community that no longer exists as such. Described like this in 1911: Agricultural town in. Saguache county, 15 miles southeast of Villa Grove. Stage from Villa Grove six times a week. Population 50.

Mirage Station:
RR stop 1923 map. (3 miles west of Mirage)

Moffat ALT: 7,566 GPS: Lat-375956N Long-1055436W USGS 7.5 Map: Moffat South
Described like this in 1911: Town in Saguache county, on the D. & R. G. R. R., 20 miles from Saguache. Daily stage to Saguache and Crestone except Sunday. Agriculture and stock raising. Population 500.

Music City:
aka Sand Creek, Short-Lived Mining Camp

New Town:
See Creede

North Crestone:
In 1900 directory

Old Ute Agency:
On 1885 map

Orient:
An official post office from 1894 to 1905

Oriental (aka Oriental City):
Official post office from 1881 to 1884.

Parkville: ALT: 8,720 GPS: Lat-381338N Long-1060602W USGS 7.5 Map: Graveyard Gulch
prev Sedgwick; PO 1880 to 1886

Perry:
An official post office from 1896 to 1898

Pocono:
RR Station 1895 to 1920s

Pole Creek:
Mining Camp

Poncha Pass:
RR Station 1924 map; Maps show both Chaffee County & Saguache County, may be same site as 1885 Shirley Station

Pruden:
An official post office from 1895 to 1900

Pyke:
An official post office from 1900 to 1902

Rito Alto:
An official post office from 1872 to 1884

Rock Cliff:
An official post office from 1874 to 1880

Saguache ALT: 7,707 GPS: Lat-380515N Long-1060831W USGS 7.5 Map: Saguache
Established in 1867; incorporated in 1878. The county seat of Saguache county. Described like this in 1911: County seat of Saguache county. Daily mails and stage to Moffat, 18 miles, the nearest railroad point, and Del Norte. Population 1,000.

San Isabel (aka San Isabella):
An official post office from 1872 to 1912. Described like this in 1911: A post office in Saguache county, reached by stage from Moffat. Population 15.

Sand Creek:
Short-lived Mining Camp aka Music City

Sangre De Christo:
An official post office from 1876 to 1884

Sargents ALT: 8,478 GPS: Lat-382415N Long-1062454W USGS 7.5 Map: Sargents
Established in 1879. Described like this in 1911: Town on the D. & R. G. R. R. in Saguache county, 259 miles from Denver. Cattle raising and mining. Population 100.

School House:
on 1885 map (between Mirage & Saguache)

Sedgwick: ALT: 9,232 GPS: Lat-381645N Long-1060852W USGS 7.5 Map: Bonanza
1865 Military Camp; 1880s Mining Camp, (Absorbed by Bonanza)
An official post office from 1880 to 1886. Later called Parkville, and finally absorbed by Bonanza.

Shawano:
RR Stop on 1923 map

Shirley:
maps show both Chaffee County & Saguache County. May be same site as 1924 Poncho Pass Station

Short Cook:
Mining Camp

Signal Station:
aka Mesa Park Signal Station

Sky City:
1880's gold camp (Same site where Fremont's 1848 expedition was turned back by snow)

Spanish:
mining camp

Spanish Creek:
on 1885 map

Spook City ALT: 9,639 GPS: Lat-381348N Long-1061150W USGS 7.5 Map: Klondike Mine
Mining camp established in 1893, Short lived

Star Ranch:
on 1885 map

Sweede Corners:
Nothing further known at this time.

Teton/Tetons:
mining camp

Toll House:
on 1880's map

Travis:
Nothing further known at this time.

Turtle Creek:
mining camp

Valley View Hot Springs:
Nothing further known at this time.

Vegas Grant:
1821 Land Grant, Mexico, now part of Saguache County, see Luis Maria Baca Grant

Veteran:
An official post office from 1888 to 1894

Villa Grove ALT: 7,985 GPS: Lat-381455N Long-1055657W USGS 7.5 Map: Villa Grove
Described like this in 1911: Town in Saguache county, on the D. & R. G. Ry. Daily stages to Bonanza, Orient and Cotton Creek. Population 200.

Wabash:
An official post office from 1911, see Gibson

Wilcox:
mining camp late 1890's

Willow:
Mining camp, PO 1891 Saguache County, Site now in Mineral County (July 1891 PO moved to Creede)

index sitemap advanced
search engine by freefind
County Host
Currently Vacant
State Coordinator
Gail Kilgore
Asst. State Coordinators
Sundee Anderson, Billie Erin Walsh, Colleen Pustola


Links to external web sites are provided as a convenience and do not constitute an endorsement of contents found there.

This page copyright 2008, 2011 by COGenWeb.It was last modified 13 April 2013.