A new sign has been erected in the Glen Cemetery in the Lindon community to replace the wooden sign from about 2000 which suffered severe wind damage necessitating that it be replaced. The new sign, which is of metal, was crafted by Ed Golding of Calhan and was put in place by Reggie Wyckoff, Kent and Tim Trim of the Glen Cemetery Association. This sign replaces the wooden sign which was with detail work by artist Terry Trim Odendaal for the cemetery which is nearby the Lincoln County Line.
Different sources of information regarding the Glen Cemetery provides varying data in regards to the early days of the cemetery pertaining to the first burial, when the land was acquired for the cemetery and even the number of those buried in the cemetery.
One source indicates the Glen Cemetery was a private burial site becoming recognized as a cemetery in 1913 with the cemetery land being formally deeded to the Glen Cemetery Association in 1923. A source also says that the first burial was of Andrew Muir in 1905, a gentleman born in Scotland in 1835, and that this private burial led presumably to the Glen Cemetery later being established. The Glen Cemetery Records show the first burial as a Pitts child, followed by Alfred Staley and then Mrs. David Sloan all before 1905.
Early information regarding the Glen Cemetery from history buff, the late Avis Hicks, was of cemetery business dated January 18, 1917 which spoke in regards to purchasing land. Further information was dated May 1 of the same year mentioning a deed to the Glen Cemetery Association along with the abstract. Later mention on April 29, 1920 was that a deed had been drawn up on a Minnesota bank ... with offer to donate to the Glen Cemetery Assn while also noting that the Assn preferred to pay $25. September 27, 1923 notation was that the warranty deed had been sent to Washington County for recording.
In these early days of the Glen Cemetery the Assn agreed that the plots with existing graves would be given to the owners and that a contribution of a dollar or more would be accepted to the fund for the land and new lots were to be sold for $5.00 cash.
Burials at the Glen Cemetery include those from the Glen Community as well as the Spence Community to the north and on towards Flat Top to the west in addition to those from in northern Lincoln County. For several decades in the 1900s the Glen Community was also referred to as North Genoa Country by those in Lincoln County. Family names with loved ones including descendants with varying surnames, whose final resting place is at Glen, include those of Baker, Bates, Bedsaul, Cluxton, Crabb, Deeds, Flook, Hicks, Hugley, Kenny, Landaker, Mullenax, Nelson, Nuttleman, Presler, Rogers, Schoonover, Smelser, Templeton, Thoma, Trim, Tuller, Wilson, Wyckoff and Wyman.
The cemetery is still in use with the last burial being November 3, 1915 and is maintained by those of the Association and area. Burials are not just those of the area, or descendants of early day families, but is the final resting place for those without known connection to the community with having found the cemetery to be an idyllic place for a loved one to be laid to rest. Depending on the source of data, whether the Glen Cemetery Records, USGenWeb Archives, or the COGenProject the final resting place for at least 150 to that over 225, are at Glen. The cemetery is also home to a thriving population of rattlesnakes.
To date 13 veterans who have served in wars from that of the Civil War to the Viet Nam Conflict are buried at Glen. They include: Sanford Cluxton - Civil War, Evert C. Mullenax - WW I, James Watson - WW I, Edward 'Bud' Michalak - WW II, Roy Melvin Crabb - WW II, Robert M. Rogers - WW II Iwo Jima, Robert 'Steve' Nickell - Korea, Dale Trim - Korea, Hiram Trim - Korea, Wayne Wetzbarger - Korea, Jerald 'Jerry' Sperry - Viet Nam, Donald R. Scott - Served, and Dale Kroeger - Unknown.
The Genoa American Legion Post #31, which is no longer active, has provided flags for the veterans at the Glen Cemetery on Memorial Day since the early days from when the Post was chartered in the 1930s.
In 1951 the vacant one room Glen School building was moved one-half mile south to the Glen Cemetery and became as what is known as the Glen Chapel. For many years beginning around 1910 numerous homesteader families in the Glen Community were of the Church of God (Seventh Day) faith and they began Sabbath School in the Glen School House also holding a Vacation Bible School for the youth. With consolidation the Glen School became part of the Lindon School District, and the Lindon School District then gave the school house building to the Glen Cemetery Association. Sabbath School continued for several years in the Chapel until the membership dwindled and those remaining met in homes for the Easter observance of the Lord's Supper, while worshipping in other churches. Many of those who worshipped in the Glen Chapel are at rest in the cemetery.
Through the years the Glen Cemetery Association and those of the area have provided improvements to the building and to the cemetery with ensuring markers were at graves and also replacing dead trees.
Although the new sign has the cemetery shown as Glenn, the history of the Glen community formally began with the post office which was established in January 1905, and operated until in May 1920. The history behind the selection of Glen as the name is presently unknown. Townsend was the name of an earlier post office in the area, to the northwest of the Glen site, which was in existence from January 1890 to September 1893. When application for the Glen Post Office was made, the suggested names in addition to Glen, were Linn and Townsend; however, the latter two names were marked out on the application. The mail for the Glen Post Office came from the Shaw Post Office in Lincoln County. A lone tree till stands today at the site where Glen was located, which is to the south of the cemetery nearby a stream bed that is termed the North Fork of the Arikaree River on maps.
In 1911 a Colorado State Business Directory reported Glen to have a population of 12 with businesses including that of U. G. Alexander - a carpenter and contractor; Adda Hutton, the first Glen Post Master, now with the grocery story; and Clarence Peterson, as blacksmith, having homesteaded in Lincoln County, who to this day has descendants in the area including Varlan Peterson.
The sturdy new sign is symbolic of the sturdy pioneer folk who came to the area as settlers making their homes and livelihood for many years. As one person, a descendant of several generations buried at Glen, a formal gathering of families with loved ones buried at Glen, would be a wonderful Continuation of Life occasion in addition to the incidental visits at Memorial Day.
Submitted by Lois Scott
Picture compliments of Reggie & Robbie Wyckoff
Return to Return to Washington County Map.