The social life of Wray is a prominent feature of the community. The benevolent orders and secret societies are represented by the following fraternal organizations:
Wray Post No. 70, G. A. R., Department of Colorado and Wyoming, was organized January, 1889, with eleven charter members. On April 18, 1900, the name was changed to Fred H. Beecher Post, in honor of Lieut. Fred H. Beecher, who lost his life at the battle of Beecher Island on September 17, 1868. The Post is now in a flourishing condition with about thirty members.
Modern Woodmen of America.
Woodmen of the World.
Women of Woodcraft.
Besides these organizations there is a flourishing Woman's Club -- the Tuesday Afternoon Study Club, which meets each week at the home of one of the members. The Club once a year has a special meeting for invited guests, which is always an event of interest. There are about twenty members.
THE BRICK PLANT
The capacity of the plant is 8,000 bricks per day. The clay is found a short distance south of the kiln, is of good quality, and makes fine bricks. Last year over 500,000 were burned here. The two kilns have a capacity of 75,000 and 100,000 respectively. In connection with the brick yard is a cement block machine with a capacity of 125 blocks per day. Some houses have already been built of these blocks and they are being used quite extensively for foundations.
The evolution of a brick house seems to be through the stages of sod and frame. Wray has passed through the first stage and many of the houses recently built, or now in construction, are of brick from our home brick yard. The plant gives employment in all of its departments to about eighteen men.
THE WRAY MILLS
The Wray Mills, which are located on the Republican river in the eastern part of the city, were erected by J. W. Pickle and L. M. Butts in 1892, the city having donated them a considerable bonus for the establishment of the industry. The power is supplied by the Republican, which here has a fall of 32 feet a mile. The minimum flow of this stream is fifty cubic feet of water a second, and it is never affected by the most prolonged drought. The grinding capacity of the mills is fifty barrels a day. In 1906 a grain elevator, with a capacity of 30,000 bushels, was erected.
ELECTRIC LIGHT PLANT
The work on the light plant was begun in the fall of 1906. It is of brick, and cost about $8,000. It is run by a sixty horse-power engine, and has a capacity of twelve hundred lights.
[ Prev | Index | Next ]