The town of Vernon is situated nine miles south and five miles west of Wray, on the Vernon divide, in the center of a most populous farming country. It was laid out in the spring of 1892 by a town site committee composed of the following persons: T. A. Willson, president; F. M. Boatman, secretary and treasurer; W. H. Hadlock, J. D. Clark, and Frank Gant. Each member of the committee proposed a name for the new town, and the one given by Mr. Willson was agreed upon. The rolling prairies, dotted with farm houses, checkered with fields of grain, stretch away from the village for miles on every hand, and in the clear, pure air the view is beautiful. The town is not large in size, but it does an enormous amount of business. It has two general stores, two hotels, and three churches : the Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Christian. The number of scholars in the Vernon school last year was 45.
[ Prev | Index | Next ]