(Articles 105 - 113)
Transcribed by Lee Zion <firstname.lastname@example.org>, October 2001.
In the career of John Hultquist, who lives seven miles east of Wray, can be found a pleasing illustration of what persevering industry and good management can accomplish on Yuma county land.
Mr. Hultquist is a native of Sweden, where he was born in 1860. In 1882 he came to America and commenced his career in the New World by engaging as a farm employee near Boulder, Colo., in May of that year. For three years he worked by the month for one farmer, when he was offered and accepted the management of the famous Windsor farm, six miles from Denver. He held this important position for six years, when he resigned to accept a more lucrative offer as manager of the Excelsior farm of 6,000 acres in the San Luis Valley. After one year he resigned this position to assume the management of the See Bar See ranch of 4,000 acres adjoining Wray, this county. In his capacity he served three years, with credit to himself and his employers, when he resigned and commenced farming for himself. He bought 160 acres of land near the village of Laird, which constitutes a part of his present ranch. He had made considerable money since coming to Colorado, but it was all swept away by the panic of 1893, and when he purchased his farm he was almost penniless. His chief capital was composed of persevering energy, untiring industry and a thorough knowledge of farming pursuits, which he utilized to the best advantage possible. In a short time he homesteaded 160 acres adjoining his farm and his enlarged efforts were rewarded by generous success. Subsequently he bought 160 acres more, making a ranch of 480 acres in all. He has 137 acres of irrigated land under cultivation, and he grows a fine crop of corn, oats, potatoes and alfalfa. He has harvested sixty bushels of corn, 100 bushels of oats and 250 bushels of potatoes an acre, while he cuts three heavy crops of alfalfa each season. In growing potatoes, especially, Mr. Hultquist has achieved remarkable success, indicated by the fact that last season eight acres of potatoes yielded him $1,000 clear of all expenses.
In addition to his farming operations, Mr. Hultquist keeps a small herd of cattle, of which he has thirty at present. He raises fine hogs, also, and ships a car load of these to the eastern markets every year, netting him a handsome revenue. The gentleman is famous for the superior quality of horses he keeps. At present he owns eight horses which would be hard to surpass in size, symmetry and other valuable properties. He always gets fancy prices for his horses.
Mr. Hultquist has a fine brick residence on his ranch, as well as comfortable sheds and stables for his stock and he is making preparations for the erection of a large frame barn. Indeed the farm is well supplied with everything requisite to make it an inviting home, which reflects the enterprise and prosperity of its industrious owner. Adjacent to the residence is an extensive orchard, composed of peach, pear, apple and cherry trees, which yield abundant crops of delicious fruit, and to this array of pleasing farm delicacies he will add strawberries, raspberries, currants and other small fruits next season.
While the gentleman has had to work hard to overcome obstacles, he is now reaping generous returns from his perseverance in well doing. For several years his ranch has yielded him from $1,200 to $2,000 a year, clear of all expenses, and to-day Mr. Hultquist is worth upwards of ten thousand dollars, all of which he accumulated in eight years on a Yuma county farm.
In Denver, in July, 1891, Mr. Hultquist married Miss Jennie Cecilia Swenson, an estimable and industrious lady, and they have a family of three sons and twin daughters.
In addition to being one of the most successful farmers in Eastern Colorado, Mr. Hultquist is a kind neighbor and a good, useful citizen, who enjoys the esteem of all who know him. Fraternally the gentleman is a member of the local hive of Maccabees.
(Photo - Residence of Dr. A.L. Howe)
Among the Yuma county physicians Dr. A.L. Howe, of this city, is making gratifying progress into public confidence. It is only about eighteen months since the gentleman located in Wray, but his pleasing manner and pronounced skill have won for him a very satisfactory practice, which is growing steadily.
Dr. Howe is a native of Western Pennsylvania where he took a medical course in the Western University and commenced the practice of medicine in 1894. For eight years he practiced his profession in the Keystone State, and he received wide recognition as a skilled and eminently successful physician.
In August, 1902, he came to Wray and early in the following year, during the absence of Dr. McGill, health officer, at his legislative duties in Denver, an epidemic of smallpox in a mild form visited this city. Dr. Howe was appointed health officer and he vigorously applied himself to his official duties until the disease was suppressed, after which he resigned the health officer position.
Dr. Howe has purchased property in Wray and he is proving a progressive, useful citizen who is ever ready to aid in every good work for the advancement of the town and county. He erected a cozy office on Pawnee street which is well provided with the instruments and appliances requisite in the modern practice of medicine and surgery.
In June, 1894, Dr. Howe married Miss Martha S. Dunkle, a refined and accomplished Pennsylvania lady, and they own a comfortable home in the eastern residence portion of this city. Personally Dr. Howe is one of the most genial and companionable of gentleman, and this, in connection with his modest and unassuming demeanor, has won for him a large circle of warm friends.
There are few, if any, gentlemen in Yuma county who are more widely known and more highly esteemed than Henry J. Wells, the popular county commissioner and extensive ranchman.
Mr. Wells is a native of Wisconsin, but, when a boy, he moved to Nebraska with his parents. When he grew to manhood he engaged in farming in Nebraska and, subsequently, in Kansas, remaining three years in the latter state. In the spring of 1886 the gentleman came to Colorado and located on a homestead five miles south of Wray, where he engaged in general farming and the stock industry. The energy and industry of Mr. Wells were rewarded with most profitable returns from his labor, and ere long, he added more land to his ranch. He now owns 480 acres, in addition to which he has one-half section leased, all being very fertile farming land. He has a big ranch leased west of Idalia, too, and on this he grazes his large herd of cattle.
The gentleman cultivates from 600 to 700 acres each year, on which he grows very profitable crops of wheat, corn, oats, barley, cane, etc., and he has harvested as high as 8,000 bushels of wheat in one season, with other crops yielding in proportion. He owns a fine herd of fine horses and 350 well bred cattle.
The ranch is supplied with a cozy home, furnished with every comfort and convenience, as well as good barns, sheds and everything requisite on a modern farm conducted on progressive principles.
Mr. Wells married an estimable Nebraska lady in 1879, and five children have blessed the happy union. Mrs. Wells had been seriously ill in Nebraska and Kansas for years, and she weighed only 110 pounds when she came to Yuma county. Since coming here the climate restored her to perfect health and she weighs 175 pounds now.
Mr. Wells' qualities as a progressive farmer and a useful citizen soon received general recognition in Yuma county, and in 1897 he was elected as one of the county commissioners. He discharged his duties with such marked ability and fidelity to the interests of his constituents that he was reelected for a second term in the campaign of 1899. Mr. Wells is not only a shrewd business man of excellent judgment, but he is imbued with sterling principles of integrity, and his labors in behalf of the county were earnest and diligent. When the gentleman was elected, the county was nearly $19,000 in debt, and now, - to his credit, and that of his colleagues be it said - after erecting and paying for a $12,000 court house last year, the county is only in debt $5,600, with ample money in the treasury to pay it when it matures.
Fraternally, Mr. Wells is an Odd Fellow and a Woodman of the World, and he is a genial, whole-souled gentleman who well merits the popularity he enjoys in Yuma county.
There are very few men, if any, in Yuma county who are more widely known and esteemed than the gentleman who heads this article.
Mr. Nash is a native of Nodaway county, Missouri, where he was born fifty-two years ago. When quite young Mr. Nash moved with his parents to Taylor county, Iowa, where he received his education. On the farm in his early manhood he commenced studying the diseases of horses and devoted much of his time to mastering scientific investigations on the subject. He commenced the veterinary practice in Taylor county and in a very short time demonstrated that he was an adept at his chosen profession. His practice grew to large proportions and it gradually extended day by day, as his success became more widely known. In 1889 Mr. Nash came to Colorado and settled in that portion of Arapahoe county which is now a part of Yuma county, where he engaged in farming and the practice of his profession. He owns 480 acres of choice land which he has utilized to the best advantage. He has made a great success of growing wheat, corn, oats and other cereals, from which he derived handsome profits. In addition he engaged in the cattle business, growing large quantities of winter feed for his stock, and in this industry he has been imminently successful.
During all these years, however, the gentleman has practiced his profession of veterinary surgeon, making periodical trips to all this section of Eastern Colorado. For instance he visits Wray the last Friday and Saturday of each month, and he has built a large practice among the prosperous farmers of that section of the county. On his ranch the gentleman has a cozy home and good barns, sheds, etc., while he is surrounded by every comfort.
Mr. Nash has an estimable wife and seven promising children. He has given the latter every educational advantage possible and three of them have taught school with pronounced success. One son is now finishing his education in a commercial college. Mr. Nash is one of the most genial gentlemen and his popularity is based on his well merited qualities as a kind neighbor, good citizen and honorable professional man.
(Photo - View of Hays' Park)
Among the early pioneers of Yuma county who rendered valuable service in developing the resources of the county and promoting its welfare, the above gentleman occupies a most conspicuous and honorable position. In the early history of Wray, especially, he was not only an active business factor but, perhaps, did more than any other individual towards the growth of the town. He had faith in the future of the then hamlet and subsequent years established the wisdom of his judgment.
Major Hays is a native of McDonough county, Illinois, where he was born on a farm on September 27, 1834. He received a liberal education and spent the early years of his manhood teaching school and acting as clerk and bookkeeper in his father's mercantile establishment. On August 20, 1861, he enlisted in Company I, Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, of which he was elected second lieutenant. His first experience in battle was gained at Shiloh, in which desperate struggle on April 6 and 7, 1862, his regiment took a heroic part. His gallantry in the battle won for Lieutenant Hays promotion to first lieutenant and in the following September, his work and fidelity as a brave soldier was further recognized by being awarded a commission as captain of his company. In January, 1863, Captain Hays and a detachment of his command were captured by the troops of Gen. Forrest, and he was sent to Libby prison, where he endured four months of the utmost hardship, which greatly affected his health. Then he was exchanged and returned to his command with which he fought in the army of Tennessee until the close of the war. On July 1, 1865, the gallant gentleman was mustered out of the service with a rank of major, a well merited recognition of his distinguished services in behalf of his country. While on a furlough to his home, on December 30, 1863, Major Hays married Miss Lucy E. Kirk, an estimable and accomplished lady, the union being blessed with five children, of whom one son and three daughters survive. The faithful wife and devoted mother was called to the spirit world in April, 1903.
After returning from the army Major Hays and his wife went to northwestern Missouri, to which place his father and other relatives had moved. There the major engaged in farming pursuits which he continued until 1871, when he engaged in the grocery business at Maryville, the firm name being Evans & Hays and, later, Hays, Craynor & Co. After a few years Major Hays sold his interest in the business to Mr. Craynor, and was elected marshal of the city. Subsequently he returned to the farm and engaged in the cattle business for five years meeting with gratifying success. In 1885 he came to Yuma county and located at Wray, then composed of the depot, a sod hotel, the section house and a small store building in course of erection. Major Hays and his son took up a pre-emption and timber claim, each, amounting to 640 acres, within one-half mile of Wray, which the gentleman still owns. Major Hays erected a livery stable and engaged in the business and, also, locating land for settlers. Subsequently he engaged in the hotel business, first in the old Wray House, north of the railway tracks. In February, 1888, he completed the erection of the Commercial Hotel and moved into that, which he conducted for four years. In the mean time, he was appointed justice of the peace to fill a vacancy, and he discharged the duties so admirably that he was elected for another term to succeed himself. At the beginning of President Harrison's administration Major Hays was appointed postmaster of Wray, and he discharged the duties with marked ability and to the entire satisfaction of the public for more than four years, when he was relieved by an appointee of President Cleveland's second administration.
Hays Park Ranch
In 1892 Major Hays sold his hotel and livery stable, after which he moved on a section of land situated on Black Wolf Creek, thirteen miles south of Wray, which he and his wife homesteaded. In addition to the 625 acres of deeded homestead land the major has 320 acres of leased land adjoining, all being enclosed by a good wire fence. This ranch which is known as the "Hays Park Ranch," extends down Black Wolf creek for three miles, with a fine belt of large trees on each bank of the stream the entire length. Buffalo and gramma grass furnish grazing for the stock during the entire year. This ranch includes the valley, water and timber of Black Wolf creek, which obtains its supply from living springs. This is a very desirable ranch and offers a fine opportunity to secure one of the best natural cattle ranches in the county. Owing to his advancing years Major Hays would sell this ranch for a reasonable figure as he is desirous of freeing himself from so many business cares.
Major Hays engaged in the cattle business on this ranch in 1893 and met with fine success. In 1899, however, he decided to lead a less strenuous life and after leasing the ranch he and his family moved to Denver, where they now live. The gentleman is a charter member of the Wray Masonic lodge and, also, of the Wray Grand Army Post, having held several offices in each when he lived here.
While Major Hays is modest and unassuming, his brilliant and well stored intellect, which is unimpaired by age, renders him one of the most genial and companionable of gentlemen. He keeps well posted on the current affairs of life, and he displays more activity than the average man does at sixty. While his career presents wonderful energy in the various pursuits of life, the laudable ambition of the gallant gentleman has ever been governed by sterling integrity. Enjoying the confidence and esteem of this community, in which he was such a useful and honored factor, Major Hays retired to Denver, where he can spend the evening of earth's pilgrimage in that ease and comfort which his life of activity and rectitude so richly merit.
Among the progressive and useful industries of Wray the blacksmith and machine shops of Lynams & Houck occupy a most prominent position. The firm is composed of Robert Lynam, E.P. Houck and N.M. Lynam, the latter being a son of the senior member. The business was established in 1898, and from a small beginning the industry expanded steadily until it has become one of the important factors in Wray's industrial circles. The shops, which are situated on Kiowa street, are well supplied with modern machinery requisite in general blacksmithing and machine work, including steam power. The members of the firm are practical mechanics, who thoroughly understand every detail of their business, as well as competent engineers, and they give their growing patronage their personal attention. No feature of their work is slighted, and this, in conjunction with the honorable principles on which their business is conducted, is the secret of their pronounced success.
Robert Lynam, the senior member of the firm, is a native of Ohio, but he moved with his parents to Indiana when he was yet a boy, and spent his early years on a farm. In August 1862, when only sixteen years of age, he enlisted in Battery M, First Indiana Heavy Artillery, in which he gallantly served his country until mustered out after the close of the war. On his return home he spent one year on a farm and then learned the blacksmith trade in a first-class shop. In 1877 he moved to Crawford county, Kansas, where he resumed farming operations for a time. In 1882 he came to Colorado and located at Silver Cliff, where he engaged in mining pursuits. After spending seven years there and a Leadville he and his family moved to Denver where they remained five years. Nine years ago Mr. Lynam came to Yuma county and engaged in farming until 1898, when he and his son in law, E.P. Houck started the business which they have made a signal success. Mr. Lynam owns a cozy home and other property in the city.
Mr. Houck is a native of Missouri, from which state he moved to Kansas, where he lived for some time. He is a stationary engineer of marked ability, and when he came to Colorado in 1880 he had no difficulty in obtaining lucrative positions, which he filled most satisfactorily until he entered into partnership with Mr. Lynam.
N.M. Lynam, who is a practical mechanic of recognized ability and a young gentleman of sterling worth, was admitted into the firm as a partner two years ago.
The members of this firm are industrious, genial gentleman, whose admirable qualities as enterprising business men and good citizens have won general esteem in the community. They well merit the generous measure of success they are achieving. Note their advertisement on another page.
(One ad this page)
-------- Dealer In --------
Ranches and Western Lands,
Tax Claims and Delinquent Loans
Adjusted and Titles Perfected . . . .
|Taxes Paid and Business Attended
To for Non-Residents . . . .
|Eighteen Years a Resident of Yuma County.
Write for Information,
The eastern home-seeker will find the career of Myron W. Haver of much interest.
On November 28, 1844, Mr. Haver was born on a farm in the Genessee Valley, New York, where he spent his boyhood days and received a very liberal education. Evidently the gentleman was one of a family of patriots, because when the Civil War commenced his three elder brothers enlisted in the Union army. At that time, he too, was anxious to enlist but his father prevailed upon the lad to remain home to help on the farm. Next year, however, when eighteen years of age, he enlisted in the 130th New York infantry, in which he served with heroic valor until the close of the war. He was mustered out of the service after the grand parade of the Union armies at Washington, and returned to his boyhood home in the Genessee Valley. It seemed to be the irony of fate that one year later - after spending three years in the army and passing unscathed through storms of bullets on the fields of battle - he lost his right arm accidentally in broom corn machinery. Since his recovery from that unfortunate accident he has devoted his attention to school teaching, in which he has been wonderfully successful.
In 1874 he moved to Dexter, Iowa, where he remained fourteen years. For six years he taught school there and for eight years he filled the position of county superintendent of schools. In 1888 he came to Colorado and located on a homestead near Eckley, the second station west of Wray. While the gentleman engaged in teaching again, he devoted the attention of his spare time to ranch pursuits. He went into the stock business under very favorable circumstances as he controls a vast are of free range which furnishes excellent grazing.
Since he came to Yuma county Mr. Haver has been elected county superintendent of schools two terms, and he discharged the duties of the position with consummate ability and fidelity to the trust reposed in him.
He cultivates eighty acres of his ranch on which he grows winter feed for his stock. Although he sold two car-loads of cattle in the eastern markets last fall, he still owns 300 cattle and thirty horses.
The gentleman takes a lively interest in public affairs and politically he is a stanch Republican, being chairman of the Yuma county Republican central committee. He has been elected justice of the peace and school director and in each of these offices he discharged his duties faithfully and well, giving entire satisfaction.
At Portage, N.Y., on June 5, 1873, Mr. Haver married Miss Clara A. Arnold, an estimable New York lady, and four children - two sons and two daughters - have blessed the happy union. The children who are bright, intelligent and ambitious are a credit, as well as a comfort, to their faithful parents.
Mr. Haver is delighted with Yuma county, and like hundreds of other settlers, he feels assured that there is no other part of the United States offering such splendid possibilities to home-seekers. Here the poor man, especially, if he be endowed with persevering industry and ambition, can find the summit of his hopes and the altitude of his desires.
Mr. Haver's genial disposition and his well stored mind render him a most companionable gentleman. He takes deep interest in everything calculated to benefit his community and county and he has earned the reputation of a splendid citizen. He and his estimable family well merit the esteem in which they are held.
(Photo - Residence of M.C. Blust)
Among those early pioneers who did much for the progress of Wray and ever maintained a strong faith in the future of the town, the above gentleman is entitled to special mention. He came to Wray when it was but a hamlet of a few houses, and he well merits the marked success which his energy and untiring industry have achieved.
Mr. Blust is a native of Ohio, where he was born forty-nine years ago. At an early age his parents went to Wisconsin, where he spent his boyhood days on a farm. Subsequently the family moved to the vicinity of Schuyler, Neb., where the engaged in farming. Mr. Blust remained in Nebraska eighteen years, during three of which he was in the livery business at Schuyler, in which he met with a fair measure of success. During that time, he married Miss Rosa A. Fox, a popular and highly esteemed resident of Schuyler. In October, 1887, they came to Colorado and located at Wray, where they engaged in the hotel business for seven years. Then he ran a barber shop four years and erected the two-story business building in which he is now doing business. He keeps a fine stock of confectionery, fruit, cigars, etc., and has a fine soda fountain. In connection he has an attractive refreshment parlor in which he serves delicious ice cream and oysters in any style, in season. Everything in and about the place is kept scrupulously clean and neat, the refreshments being served in a most inviting manner, all of which renders the establishment very popular.
During the past year Mr. Blust erected a beautiful home in the western part of the city. It is not only elegant in its exterior appearance, but it is fitted with all modern improvements and furnished with every comfort that conduces to the attractions of a home. The estimable couple well merit the success which has crowned their efforts.
Previous Part | Index | Next Part