Yuma County, Colorado
|Home Page||Photograph Index||Site Index|
Robert and Elizabeth McPherson, son John and Mattie McPherson , 1 South 42 West
Robert cash-claimed a quarter in 34, 1S 42W in 1909.
W. A. McAllister was born in Glascow, Scotland, June 7, 1847 and with his father and mother and other members of the family came to the United States in the year of 1851 and located first in St. Louis, Missouri, and in a year or so thereafter the father, James McAllister, and family, moved to Council Bluffs, Iowa where they resided for about 8 years and then moved to Genoa, Nebraska in 1858, for the purpose of trading with the Indians and after that became unprofitable the family moved to the southwest part of Colfax County about 8 miles from Columbus and located on a homestead near a small body of back water from the Platte River, which still exists, known as McAllister's Lake. William McAllister received his early education in the schools of Council Bluffs and in 1862, at the age of fifteen years, enlisted for nine months service as a private in Company B. 2nd Nebraska Vonunteer [sic] Cavalry and for about ten months or a little less than a year, was engaged in active duty between Omaha and Fort Kearney, in Indian Warfare.
In 1872 he entered the University of Nebraska and graduated therefrom in 1877, in what we believe, the first graduating class from the University. After graduation he then went to Munich, Germany, and there took a two and a half year course in language and law and learned to speak, very fluently, the German language, which, at that time, was very valuable to a lawyer in this county.
After returning from Germany he continued the study of law and was admitted to the Bar in 1882 and was admitted to practice in the supreme court shortly thereafter. Mr. McAllister was very successful in his litigation and was a most careful advisor and careful in the trial of his cases and choice in the selection of the kind of business he took. He was aggressive and successful in practically everything he undertook.
He was a very ardent republican and was elected to the state legislature in 1882 and served to 1884. He was also appointed postmaster by President Taft and served during his administration.
In a spirit of public service to his country, he was a member of Company K. First Regiment of Nebraska National Guards and during his connection therewith there were many strikes and riots in Omaha in which he helped to quell.
Mr. McAllister was a member of and past commander of Baker Post Number 9 G.A.R. and was a member of the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company. Fraternally, he was a member of the Knights of Pythies and was one of the stockholders and officers of the West End Sewer Company.
Mr. McAllister was a man of high literary accomplishments and was always a student and kept well in touch with public matters.
Some time about 1914 or 1915 he became interested with other parties in a tract of land in the Isle of Pines and on behalf of those interested he established headquarters on the Island to look after their property and remained about one year, then moved back to Columbus and resumed the practice of law.
Mr. McAllister passed away on Jan. 9, 1923, while on a visit to his daughter in Salt Lake City, Utah. William McAllister 1847-1923, Second Nebraska Cavalry, is buried in Columbus # 57730551.
Back to Pioneer Photographs.
This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.