Yuma County, Colorado
|Home Page||Photograph Index||Site Index|
George F. and Mildred (Ballard) Butler, Happyville
James Alexander Butler died young, 1897, in Kansas and is buried in Pleasant Valley Cemetery, 3 miles east of Carlyle, Kansas # 143325547. This family poss. was from Iowa, moved to Butler County & Linn County, Kansas, then back to Mason City, Iowa, then back to Kansas, Allen County. In addition to farming, in Kansas, James may have worked in the coal mines, in Iowa, he may have drilled water wells. His family was said to have been of German descent. After James's death Jane married a Thomas William Cruisenberry (sp?), a civil war veteran who was orginally from Ill., and gained two step-sons. Jane also may have been married once before James and had one child. James Alexander Butler and Elizabeth "Jane" Hawthorne's children were:
1. Son: George Finley Butler (my ggrandfather), b. 8/4/1883, Linn County, Kansas; d. 8/30/1970, Clinton, Henry County, Missouri.
2. Son: John Thomas Butler, b. 5/2/1879, Linn County, Kansas; d. 10/11/1951, Kansas. Married 1. Ola Olene Hockett. 2. Mamie Hensley.
3. Daughter: Alphareta (Alpha) Butler, b. 6/26/1889, Iowa; d. 1/1/1961. Married Boyd Lane Schultz.
4. Daughter: Pearl Butler, b. 1891; d. 1/17/1953, Kansas City, Missouri. Buried in Old Iola, Kansas Cemetery. Married Earnie Coppen. No children.
5. Daughter: Isabell Butler, b. 3/8/1888; d. 1922. Buried in Yates Center, Kansas. Married Frank Kunkel. Isabelle 1888-1922 is buried in Yates Center, Kansas.
6. Daughter: Sarah Ann Butler, b. 2/20/1881, Linn County, Kansas; d. 2/6/1942. Buried in Fairview Cemetery, Mildred, Kansas. Married 1. George Ray (shot to death in self defense by his wife in 1913 per Iola, KS newspaper); 2. ? Duggan; 3. ? Moss in Gas City; 4. ? Daughtery; 5. ? Wetzek abt. 1925.
7. Daughter: Hattie Butler, b. 1887; d. 1918. Buried in Iola, Kansas. Married ? Blunt.
Back to Pioneer Photographs.
This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.