Yuma County, Colorado
Yuma County Pioneer Photographs:
Charles W, Logsdon
William Granville Logsdon
The two - almost certainly brothers - claimed land in 4N 46W in 1890
A 1908 legal notice described that in October 1888 William G. Logsdon
conveyed a quarter of land to Henry Aldrich, secured by a promissory note issued
by Logsdon to a Charles Sollman. It later refers to the "said William H.
Logsdon", and to the Henry Aldrich as trustee. So it wasn't a
straightforward land claim and subsequent sale.
One Ancestry tree has William born March 29, 1860 in Iowa, the son of Rev.
Daniel and Saran Ann Christopher Logsdon dying September 21, 1933
The 1860 census of Marion County, Iowa has Daniel Logsdon 28, Sarah 25, Sarah
M. 5, Mary C. 3, and Wm. G. three months.
In 1870 Harrison County, Missouri they've added John S. 7, Charles W.
2, and George F. 1.
In 1880 Harrison County William is 20, John 17, Charles 14,
George T. 10, and they've added Sarepta 7, Daniel L. 2, and Albert W. one-month.
The tombstone in Abilene, Texas has Daniel December 9, 1831 - December 18,
1897, and Sarah A, October 28, 1833 - June 18, 1913. So it looks like
Daniel moved down to be with Charles, George, and A.W.
In 1900 Abilene Sarah is widowed. and A.W. is living with her. He's not
with her in the 1911 Abilene directory.
Charles is single, 33, farming.
1915 the Yuma paper "For Sale - S.W. Sec 9-4N-46; $12.50 per acre, $4.50 per
acre cash, balance five years at 6 per cent. Agents take notice - will
extend usual courtesy , - J.L. Miller & Co., 6378 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles,
In 1920 Charles is married to Daisie, living in Callahan County, Texas, with
Charles W. Jr. 5 and Grace C. 2
In the same cemetery is A.W. Logsdon - 1877 - April 10, 1950 and A.W. Jr.
born and died December 28, 1918.
and George T. Logsdon 1869 - December 24, 1933
This is when "Granville" and Sarah were living in Iowa in 1917.
William and Sarah Logsdon family
The tree has his children as
Cora Olive Logsdon, born June 15, 1888 in Harrison County, Missouri, marrying
Lewis Erving Ballard
Clyde Lewis Logsdon, born January 15, 1890 in Harrison County, marrying Bama
Samuel Ernest Logsdon, born March 31, 1891 in Gentry, Missouri, marrying Vena
Archibald B. Logsdon, born October 12, 1893 in Missouri City, marrying Verna
Edith Cecil Logsdon, born November 26, 1896 in Bethany, Missouri,
marrying Thomas Wilson, then Jack Baehm late in life.
Lola Augusta, born August 23, 1899 in Missouri, marrying Michael Ackman
Virgil Logsdon, born December 10, 1904 in Texas, died 1906
William O. Logsdon, born May 14, 1933 (this sure doesn't seem possible)
Because on of William's descendants, Wilford Waldo Wilson, married Eva Irene
Hathaway (daughter of the Yuma County Herbaughs), it is very likely that
the two brothers in the tree are the Yuma County homesteaders.
Look at the Seborn Elliott page for more information on the Herbaugh family
The same Ancestry tree has Charles Wesley Logsdon, born July 9, 1866 in
Harrison County, Missouri, living there in 1880, but in Taylor County , Texas in
1900. In 1902 he married Daisy Bascom Reed, and lived in the west Texas
area, including Abilene, until his death in 1947.
Logsdon Building and Chapel History
The Logsdon School of Theology building was
constructed on the campus of Hardin-Simmons
University in 1988 after a generous gift by
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Logsdon of Abilene. The
27,200-square foot building includes
classrooms, a distance learning facility,
preaching lab, reading room, faculty and
staff offices, faculty lounge, reception
room and chapel. The facility was designed
by the architectural firm of Tittle, Luther
and Loving, and built at a total cost of
Of the many distinctive features of the
Logsdon School of Theology building, Logsdon
Chapel is perhaps most obvious to
passers-by. The 350-seat Logsdon Chapel is
used for special events such as Logsdon
Seminary chapel services, state and regional
conferences for pastors and churches, guest
speakers on the Hardin-Simmons University
campus, various community events, university
concerts and organ recitals, and weddings.
The chapel space is defined by a
stained-glass window at its front and a
Vissar-Rowland Opus 93 pipe organ at its
The window, a special
gift from Mrs. Charles Logsdon, was designed
and constructed by Byrd Glass Company of
Lubbock, Texas after consultation with
Logsdon’s first dean, Dr. H.K. Neely. Though
designed as a single element, the window was
constructed in 60 individual panels on metal
framework. During the day, the sunlight
creates a magnificent kaleidoscope of light
on the 30-by-41 foot wall for those within
the building; at night, the Logsdon window
is lit from the inside and serves as a
wonderful piece of Christian art for the
Abilene community to enjoy. The building,
and specifically the window, has been
featured in numerous local and national
publications, and is regularly a highlight
for campus visitors and tours.
The window in Logsdon chapel is, however,
more than just an architectural element or
tour stop. The window design includes three
pertinent elements that exemplify the
purpose, mission and vision of Logsdon
School of Theology at Hardin-Simmons
University: a cross, an open Bible, and a
dove. The cross occupies the center of the
window, pointing to the centrality and
Lordship of Christ in the life of each
believer and in theological education at
Logsdon. The open Bible represents the
commitment of Logsdon School of Theology to
provide theological education guided by the
authority of scripture. The dove represents
the Holy Spirit and the global mission of
the church for which Logsdon prepares
servant leaders. Each of these elements is
placed upon a field of color and concentric
circles representing the world into which
students are called to serve.
The chapel organ, constructed in 1992, is
likewise designed to inspire a sense of
grandeur. Officially known as the Grace
Katherine White Organ, it was provided as a
gift from Mrs. Katherine Logsdon White,
sister of Mr. Charles Logsdon and built at a
cost of $300,000. It is based on a
traditional North German-Dutch design, but
possesses a distinctively French character
specially customized for this installation.
This three manual tracker organ consists of
45 ranks spread over 36 stops, with a total
of 2,627 pipes ranging in size from the
copper pipes of the 16-foot Montre in the
pedal to pipes much smaller than a pencil in
diameter and size. The casework of the organ
is made of Appalachian Red Oak with the keys
being made of ebony and maple. The
instrument and pipes occupy the majority of
the chapel’s balcony, and offer a visually
stunning sight as one exits the chapel.
The Logsdon building complex, including
the Logsdon Chapel, with its unique
architecture and distinctive elements
anchors the southeast corner of the
Hardin-Simmons University campus and draws
visitors from around the world. The entire
building is a concrete example of the
historic mission of this Baptist-affiliated
university to provide an education
enlightened by faith.
This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.