Yuma County, Colorado

COGenWeb Logo

Home Page Photograph Index Site Index

Yuma County Pioneer Photographs:

John and Alexander Marron,  Heartstrong

ONE POSSIBILITY In 1880 Clinton County Iowa John Marron 25, and "Elexander" Marron 14, both born in Iowa, are with parents Patrick and Catherine.  

ANOTHER In 1883 Denver John J. Marron is a clerk for Marshall Coal Co., living at 688 Blake.In 1885 he's and Mary are in Denver, with John A. one year old.

His father Alexander Marron, born 1827 in Ireland, died March 26, 1904 in Boone County, Iowa. 

Alexander cash-claimed a quarter in 6, 1S 47W and one in 22, 1N 47W in 1891, and John one in 31, 1N 47W in 1892, so they were there about the same time as the Binford, James, and Soules families.

In 1895 John J. Marron homesteaded in 2S 70W - Jefferson County - witnesses Michael Cowley, Joseph Cowley, both of Golden, and James and Mary Koch of Denver.

In 1900 Denver John J. Marron is a real estate agent - so he's a good match.  Born Aug 1857 in Iowa, married to Mary . Dec 1858 Wisconsin  They have  John A. Nov 1883, Urban S. Jan 1885, Margaret F. Apr 1888, Ethel M. Oct 1890, Adelaine R. Mar 1895, Bernice D. May 1897, and Raymond U May 1899, all kids born in Colorado.

MARRON, J.J. Member, Legislature 1903, from Arapahoe Co. Portrait, p. 5, Feb 14, same - REPUBL.

In the 1903 Colorado legislature "H.B. No. 382, by Mr. Maroon, an act to promote irrigation of the arid lands within the State by water obtained from wells or sources other than the flow from natural streams."

Portrait as a member in unpaged pamphlet - OR14GAC.

See p. 185 - PMPC.


In 1910 Denver John J. and Mary have John A. post office clerk, Urban S. railway mail clerk, Florence teacher, Ethel stenographer in a real estate office, Adrian, Adeline, Bernice, Raymond, and have added Cyril A. 8.

Raymond V. Marron's will was probated in Denver in 1913.

December 1918 Adeline R. Marron married James P. Reddick.

In 1920 Cyril is a cadet at West Point.

John A. Marron married Edith H. Church Aug 29, 1922.

Bernice Marron married Fred C. Lebhart August 13, 1927.

John Joseph Marron, born Aug 3, 1857 in Clinton County, Iowa, died May 13, 1913 in Denver.  Mary Ann (Crowley) Marron born Dec 30, 1858 in Iowa County, Wisconsin, died Aug 9, 1929 in Denver - both buried in Mount Olivet, Wheat Ridge.

Urban S. Marron's will was probated in Denver in 1951.

Raymond was a graduate of the United States Coast Guard Academy and obtained the rank of Captain and was the captain and commander of the USS Aquarius in WWII, which was a troop ship that landed Marines and Army Infantryman in the liberation of the islands in the Pacific Campaign.

Awarded a Bronze Star during WWII; citation reads "As commanding officer of a ship engaged in the landing of assault troops on Roi and Namur Islands, Kwajalein Atoll, on January 31, 1944, and other operations, his excellent direction of training for the operations and his efficient execution of the missions assigned his ship and attached landing craft contributed largely to the success of the naval phase of the eminently successful attacks." 


Cyril Quentin Marron was born in Denver, Colorado, June 26, 1901. His parents were John Joseph Marron and Mary Crowley Marron, now both deceased. His parents came to Denver in the early 1880s. They met and were married in Denver in 1883. Lieutenant Colonel Marron was their youngest child, the last of ten. He was a twin. His twin sister, Irene, died of pneumonia in 1904, but alt the others lived to grow up. His oldest brother, John Alexander, died in 1927. The others, all living, are: Mr. Urban S. Marron, Denver; Mrs. J. B. Ginn, Denver (Florence); Mrs. W. A. Wiley, Denver (Ethel); Commodore Adrian R. Marron, U.S.N.A. '14, U.S. Navy; Mrs. J. P. Raddick, Denver (Adeline); Capt. Raymond V. Marron, U.S.C.G. Academy '24, U.S. Coast Guard; Mrs. F. C. Lebhart, Denver (Berenice).

After going through the public schools in Denver, he went to West Point in 1919, where he was graduated in 1923 as a Second Lieutenant of Infantry. First stationed at Fort Douglas, Utah, where he met his future wife, he was next sent to Manila in 1925. In 1926, on November 24, he was married to Miss Ruth Schumacher, of Yonkers, N.Y., in his Navy brother’s quarters near the Cavite Naval Yard in the Philippines. His bride, a graduate of Wellesley College, had traveled to the Philippines to marry him. Shortly after their return to the States, a daughter, Ruth Irene, was born on November 16, 1927, in Charleston, S.C.

First Lieutenant Marron was next sent to the Infantry School at Fort Benning, Ga. After completion of the course there, another tour of duty in the Philippines ensued, during which he had his first encounter with the Japs. This was in Shanghai in 1932, where the Japs had landed in force and were staging a miniature war with the Chinese. Our 31st Infantry (Manila’s Own) was sent to Shanghai to protect our nationals there. Lieutenant Marron was Assistant S-2 at that time, and learned a great deal about the Japs. From this time on, he was of the opinion that war with Japan was merely a matter of time.

Returning to the States once more, in 1934, he was sent to George Washington University Law School, in Washington, D.C. This marked the achievement of a long-standing ambition. Hitler was coming into power, and the world appeared to be headed toward conflict. Captain Marron thought that some one with both legal and military training would be valuable. He called it the "double focus” on world affairs. With this in mind, he specialized in international and constitutional law. He already was expert in military law.

In three years he managed to achieve both an LL.M. and a J.D., besides taking honors, and being elected to membership in the "Order of the Coif”, the legal honor society. The accomplishment of all this was no sinecure. It meant practically no social life or relaxation, but of such is the stuff of ambition.

He was assigned to the Judge Advocate General’s Department for duty, and sent to Omaha. But at the time that Hitler marched into Poland, he announced emphatically that World War II had begun, and forthwith began trying to be relieved of his assignment in the Judge Advocate General's Department, and to be returned to the Infantry.

In 1940, Major Marron became Regimental Adjutant of the 10th Infantry. In March, 1941, while he was a student at the Command and General Staff School at Leavenworth, Kansas, orders came sending him to the Philippines without delay. He sailed from San Francisco April 22, 1941, on the S.S. Washington, leaving his family behind, as per orders. He was assigned to duty as Military Liaison Officer on the staff of the High Commissioner, Francis B. Sayre. He was told that no one else had his qualifications of military and legal background, combined with his familiarity with the Philippines.

When the war started, he was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel (December 19, 1941), and assigned to military duty under General MacArthur. Very little is known of his activities during the fighting. He was on Corregidor part of the time. He had the opportunity to leave with the High Commissioner’s staff, but chose to remain. At the time of the surrender on Bataan in April, 1942, he was commanding the second battalion of the 31st Infantry. It is not known whether or not he made the "Death March", but it seems likely that he did, for he was in Camp No. 1 in July, 1942. From there, he was shipped to Camp No. 2, in October, 1942. This Camp was near Davao, on Mindanao. All that ever was heard from him were four or five form post cards headed "Imperial Japanese Army”, and saying little. In June, 1944 he was moved to Manila and put in Camp No. 1. In December, 1944, he was put on a Jap prison ship and started for Japan. Our forces had already landed on Leyte and were preparing to land on Luzon so this ship was spotted immediately by our planes and bombed. We may never know how many were killed then for the Japs kept no record. Some survived, only to die in subsequent bombings in Formosa, or at sea from wounds and illness. The United States Government has designated December 15, 1944 as the date of Lieutenant Colonel Marron's death, and has awarded him the Purple Heart Medal posthumously, “for wounds resulting in his death”.


Back to Pioneer Photographs.