Yuma County, Colorado

COGenWeb Logo

Home Page Photograph Index Site Index

Yuma County Pioneer Photographs:

Edward J. and  Lillian Josephine (Anderson) Dowlin

In 1880 Edwin Dowlin, 16, born in Pennsylvania, is at Fort Stanton, New Mexico, with William, 45, a merchant, Clary 35,  and Charles 14. 

After Paul Dowlin was mustered out of the army he settled (‘squatted’) on the Rio Ruidoso and was one of the first to file on land in the area after it was surveyed. This area became known as DOWLIN Mill and now is called Ruidoso.  He built two sawmills, a gristmill and owned quite a substantial amount of land upon which he developed a ranching operation.  His business interests expanded rapidly with the influx of settlers in the Territory and he contacted his brother, Will, urging him to come to New Mexico and become his partner.  Will, his wife Clara, and their three young sons, Milton Joseph, Edwin Josiah and Charles Paul, arrived in June of 1871.

Paul and Will Dowlin began building a sawmill out of adobe bricks in 1869. They first built where the Carrizo Creek and the Rio Ruidoso come together. The Ruidoso Valley Chamber of Commerce building is very near that spot today. Paul Dowlin’s idea was to channel the force of both the creek and the river to run the waterwheel that would power the saw mill. There certainly was a lot of powerful water. In fact, the first Dowlin’s Mill was destroyed by a flood. There were heavy rains and the mill was swept away just a few weeks after its completion.
          In his second attempt at the mill business, Paul Dowlin and Will salvaged what they could from the wreckage of the ruined mill and rebuilt on higher ground for safety.  The brothers Dowlin got some help from Larry Dow and Tom Kinney, both of whom had known Captain Paul when they worked on the rebuilding of Fort Stanton in 1868, and they had helped Paul build the first mill at the confluence of the Carrizo Creek and the Rio Ruidoso. In fact, Larry Dow helped Paul and Will work the mill for a couple of years.
          Because they were now on higher, safer ground they were away from the water. It’s not easy to run a waterwheel where there’s no water. To solve that problem, they constructed a three-mile long flume system of V-shaped wooden troughs, supported by long poles and tree branches, that carried the water from the Carrizo Creek to the mill. But, safety came at a price. It was difficult to divert enough water to operate the mill. At least not enough to power a sawmill. It was now safer but there just wasn't enough water. So, to match the creek’s lower energy, Paul Dowlin decided to establish a grist mill for grinding grain into flour. He had enough power for that.
          Things seemed to have progressed smoothly for Paul Dowlin. The 1870 Census listed him at age 40 as a non-New Mexico born lumber merchant in Lincoln County, Precinct Number Two. The real estate was worth $10,000 and Paul Dowlin’s personal property was valued at $5,000. But, the census doesn’t always get things right. The new mill was a grist mill not a lumber mill. Although they had been living there for generations, the Mescalero Apache Reservation was officially created by an executive order of President Grant on May 27, 1873 and the Mescaleros would stop at the mill to trade for flour. Paul served as postmaster of the little village of Dowlin’s Mill in December of 1873. In 1877, Dowlin sold a half interest in the mill to Frank Lesnett, another Fort Stanton veteran.
          Frank went off to Chicago to marry his sweetheart Annie and they were planning to get to the mill on May 6th. They had to travel by train, stagecoach and wagon all the way from Chicago to Dowlin‘s Mill. Unfortunately, Paul never got to meet Annie because he met his end the day before.
          For reasons unknown, but widely speculated about, Paul Dowlin was shot in the head by a former employee, Jerry Dillon, and died a few hours later on May 5, 1877. Dillon left for Texas and was never heard of again. Dowlin was unarmed at the time and could not defend himself. Paul was survived by his brother Will who notified what was left of his family back in Pennsylvania. Paul Dowlin is buried at the Old Fort Stanton Cemetery, the civilian cemetery located near the government’s Fort Stanton Cemetery.

A new opportunity opened up in June of 1873 when L. G. MURPHY Co. was forced off the post at Fort Stanton.  Paul bought the mercantile business and was issued a Post Trader’s license on December 1st.  In addition, he received an appointment as postmaster on December 1873.  Paul took over the management of the Sutler’s Store at the fort and Will took charge of the mills on the Ruidoso.  So well did the DOWLIN brothers work together that Paul finalized his promise to make Will a full partner when, in 1874, he created a firm named Paul DOWLIN & Brother.  This entitled Will as one-half owner in the stock and business at the fort, the mill, and all of Paul’s real and personal property.

After Paul was killed on April 28,1877, Will was made administrator of his estate.  It is in the probate records that Will wrote “three brothers and one sister, to wit, William DOWLIN, your petitioner, Rea DOWLIN, a resident of Coatesville, in the State of Missouri, Ann RINEHART and John DOWLIN, residents of the town of Moulton, in the State of Iowa.
 Later that year Will sold his half-interest in the mill properties to Frank LESNET and focused his energies at the post trader’s store at Fort Stanton.  He formed a partnership with John C. DELANY about 1878 and in 1879 this company took over the defunct J. J. DOLAN Co., successor to the L. G. MURPHY Co. which in the meantime had built a large two-story store and set up business in nearby Lincoln, NM.  Within a year and a half Will DOWLIN & Co. was bankrupt.

My husband met me at Fort Stanton. He was driving two big bay horses to a Studebaker. The horses were named "Bill Johnson, and "Bill Dowlin". How happy I was when my husband met me and we drove up the beautiful canyon toward the White mountains. It was in May 1877. We went by way of the Pat Garrett Ranch, which was located on Little Creek, and on by Alto and down Gavelan Canyon to the Ruidoso. When we arrived at Dowlin's Mill I saw some blood in the front yard. Frank told me that a man named Jerry Dalton had shot and killed Paul Dowlin the day before. Dalton left the country and was never heard of again.

My new home was a four room log house, with a big fireplace in the front room, which we called the parlor. We used kerosene lamps and candles for lights. A man by the name of Johnnie Patton cooked for us. We boarded several of the men who worked in the mills and helped on the farms. We raised hogs and sold them to Fort Stanton. We raised our own feed to fatten the hogs and in the fall of the year the farm hands would butcher about a hundred hogs at a time. I would get some of the neighbor women to come and help render out the lard. We used a big iron pot and rendered up the lard out in the yard. I raised lots of turkeys and chickens and sold them at Fort Stanton.

...The Mescalero Indians from the Mescalero Reservation used to come to our place end trade. My husband had a small store and was post master at Ruidoso. I saw four buck Indians have a fight in front of our store one time. They pulled each other's hair out and fought with quirts. They fought for about an hour. I was in the store and was afraid to go to our house, although the Indians never did bother us. I was awfully afraid of them, especially when I first came to the Ruidoso. I was always good to the Indians. I gave them doughnuts and cookies when they came to the Mill and it was not long until all the Indians were my friends. Geronomo used to come to our place quite often. Once he brought me a big wild turkey and another time he gave me a nice Indian basket. I gave the basket to Mrs. Hiram Dow and she still has it.

...In 1882 my husband bought out the interest of the Dowlin Brothers and he was sole owner of the Mill. We then moved into the two story building which still stands, with the old water wheel, about two miles from the town of Ruidoso. At that time we had a grist mill and a saw mill. All the surrounding country brought their grain to our mill to be ground. We used oxen to haul our logs for the saw mill. In 1887 we sold our ranch and cattle on the Ruidoso to the Crees, who owned the "V V" outfit. We moved to Lincoln New Mexico, where we could have better schools for our children. We lived on the Ruidoso all during the Lincoln County War but my husband never took sides with either faction. I did give Billy the Kid several meals when he would come to our place, but my husband never knew anything about it, for he had warned we not to feed any of the men from either side, but I did it anyway as I felt so sorry for them when they said they were hungry.

Lincoln County was a wild country when I first came here and at first I used to get so homesick for my people in Chicago, but after I had been here a few years I liked it and never cared to go back to Chicago to live.

--Mrs. Annie E. Lesnitt, transcript of interview September 7, 1938. [WPA Federal Writers' Project Collection.]


 Clara and Will DOWLIN moved to Las Cruces, NM after losing the business and were divorced in 1882.  It is said that Will became so despondent over his losses that he never recovered and he died December 20,1884 in an asylum in Pueblo, CO.  Clara lived in Denver, CO, where she operated a rooming house for many years.  She died there November 7,1922."

1879- New Mexico Territory- soldiers surround the camp of Bill Campbell and Jesse Evans near Dowlin's Mill. The two escape but the soldiers capture an army deserter named Texas Jack.


Notice in the Las Cruces, NM RIO GRANDE REPUBLICAN, 20 Dec. 1884.

“We regret to learn of the death in the asylum for the insane, in Pueblo, Colorado, of Will DOWLIN, formerly of DOWLIN Mills in Lincoln County.  He was well and favorably known throughout Southern New Mexico, having succeeded his brother, Capt. Paul DOWLIN, as post-trader at Fort Stanton, and in the company of Mr. DELANEY, the present trader, conducted the business for several years.  It is said that business troubles growing out of the tradership and company partnership mentioned, brought about the result.  He leaves a wife and three sons, to whom the REPUBLICAN extends a heartfelt sympathy.”
Memorabilia for sale

 7.75 x 10.25" letterhead of Will Dowlin & Co., Post traders, Fort Stanton, NM, 4 Feb. 1880. Purchase of John Ryan for soap and crackers.

 John C. DeLany, Post Trader letterhead, 6 x 8", Fort Stanton, NM, 9 Sept, 1884. Order for 15 casks of Beer if not in the order already in transit.

Fort Stanton was built in 1855 to protect settlements along Rio Bonito from Apache raids. It was abandoned for a brief time to Confederate troops in 1861, but the following year Kit Carson and Union troops returned to the fort and continued to fight the Apache, and added the Navajo to their assignment. It was the first stop for many Apache and Navajo on their way to Bosque Redondo in the mid-1860s. Troops at Fort Stanton were also called on to intervene in the Lincoln County War in 1878, and later Billy The Kid was imprisoned there, before he escaped. Delany was the one who sent Pat Garrett a note reporting the escape according to Garrett's biography of Billy. L.G. Murphy was one of the principals in the Lincoln County War. He and partner James Dolan had the only store in Lincoln County for years, as well as operating large ranching interests. When John Tunstall and Alexander McSween opened a rival business, Murphy was not amused. Dolan tried to goad Tunstall into a gunfight, at which point Tunstall hired Billy the Kid as a guard. When Tunstall was murdered, Billy decided to exact revenge. It took Lew Wallace being appointed as Territorial governor to finally quiet things down, pardoning everyone except the Kid. But in all, 19 people died (not counting the Kid, whom Garrett gunned down later) before the end of the feud. William Dowlin was post trader from 1877 to 1880. He bought the Murphy-Dolan building later.

Many stories surround the mill, with a list of characters as colorful as the Wild West itself. Pat Garrett was known to frequent the place, perhaps sometimes in search of the young desperado, William Bonney, who became known as “Billy the Kid”. Billy was known to enjoy visiting the mill and once was saved from apprehension by the swift action of young Annie Lesnet who hid him in a handy flour barrel as a posse approached. Billy was well liked by the Dowlin and Lesnet families and enjoyed the village suppers and dances held in the mill building. Lt. John Pershing, later known as “General Black Jack” dropped by while he was at Fort Stanton, and later on, another soon-to-be famous soldier, Douglass MacArthur stopped in as well.

In 1889 Edwin J. Dowlin is in Denver, a "collector"  for the D T & Ft. W. R.R., frt. dep't, living at 811 17th.  Also at 811 17th is Charles P. a cashier in the freight department, and Newton J. Dowlin, a foreman in the freight dept.  Mrs. Clara L. Dowlin also lives there.

Arthur Milton Dowlin
Died June 20, 1900
age 5 Yrs. 9 mo. 

  Rattler June 23, 1900

In 1900 Laird Edwin J. Oct 1864 Pennsylvania, has been married six years to Lilan J. Mar 1869 Kansas.  They have Arther M. Sep 1894 New Mexico and Rosco E. Aug 1898 Colorado.

1902 "Warren Hawkins, brother of Mrs. F.J.(sic) Dowlin, who has been visiting in the Dowlin home east of Laird for some time, returned home the fore part of the week."


1904 "Mrs. L. A. Dowlin, who has been visiting for some time with her son . E.J. Dowlin, departed for her home in Denver, taking her little grandson, Ross, with her."

May 8, 1905 Governor McDonald appointed E.J. Dowlin as a water commissioner

1906 "Ross Anderson of California and Robb Anderson of New Mexico, brothers-in-law of E.J. Dowlin of Laird, have leased the Dowiln (sic) ranch for a term of years, and will soon take possession."

1908 "Ed Dowlin went to Denver Monday to serve on the federal grand jury.  Sam Galbreath is running the elevator during the absence of Ed Dowlin."

"Ed Dowlin shipped a car load of hogs to Denver on Wednesday, and expects to ship another load next week, if he has anything left to buy with, the profits of the hog buyer being uncertain these days."


1909 "B. E. Ridgeway sold his team of black mares with their colts at their sides to E.J. Dowlin of Laird for $500.  It is said to have been the largest price ever paid for a team in Wray."

Edward proved up a claim in 1906 a mile east of Laird.

In 1910 Laird Edwin J. and Lillian have Ross E. 12 and Merton R. 10.

1910 "From this date, we will divide our time between the elevator and our house where we can be found at any time.  Notify us by phone when you will arrive with grain and we will meet you at the elevator.  Phone No. 035.  E.J. Dowlin"

E.J. Dowlin has ordered the Laird Leader sent to his mother who resides in Denver.

Mrs. Clara L. Dowlin, late of 2161 Tremont Place, beloved mother of Milton Dowlin of Fort Worth, Texas; Edward Dowlin of Wray, Colorado and Charles Dowlin of St. Louis, MO.

The funeral services will be held from the late residence today at 1:30 p.m. Interment will follow at Crown Hill.

Source: Published in the Denver Post in Denver, CO on March 30, 1921.

Tombstone has April 21, 1844 - March 28, 1921

In 1923 "Mr. E.J. Dowlin long time and much respected citizen of Laird passed away at his home in that city. Funeral services were held Thursday morning at Laird. Mr. Dowlin was a Mason being a member of Lodge No. 71 in Wray."

Lillian Josephine Jones was born March 1, 1869 at Carson, Kansas. She was one of 13 children born to John Newton and Margaret Louisa Anderson.
As a young woman she homesteaded in the territory of New Mexico. On February 1, 1894 she married Edwin J. Dowlin at El Paso, Texas. Five children were born to this union, two of whom preceded in her in death. An infant Daughter in 1909 and a son Arthur Milton aged 5, in 1900.
Mr. Dowlin died at Laird in 1923. On December 13, 1928 she married Frank Wolford Jones, making her home near Vernon. 
 Edwin J. and Lillian J. Dowlin 1869-1955 are in the Wray cemetery

Ross registered for WWI in Laird, saying he was an auto mechanic in Denver, born August 9, 1898

Ross married Fern Peterson May 18, 1930  in Holyoke. 

Ross E. Dowlin - Aug 9, 1898 - Apr 28, 1983 and Fern Dowlin 1911-1941 are in the Wray cemetery.


Merton registered in Laird, saying he was born August 23, 1900, and was an auto mechanic working for Edwin Dowlin.

In 1930 Laird Ross E. and Merton R are proprietors of a hardware store in Laird.  Sister Clara L. 17 is living with them.

Dowlin, Rea (w) Mary Grace - Laird, Manager Elevator, Ph. Wray 08J1.
Dowlin, Ross (w) Fern - Laird, Postmaster and Hardware,  Ph. Wray 08R3, (Edwin, Phillip, Carol).

M. Rea Dowlin married Mary G. Cunningham August 18, 1935 in Denver.

In 1940 Laird "M. Rea" manages a grain elevator.  He's married to Mary G. 31, born in Colorado, and they have newborn Davis R.

Mary Grace Dowlin - Mar 6, 1909 - Oct 31, 1962 is buried in Calvary Cemetery, Tacoma, Washington.

Merton died in Kirkland, Washington February 4, 1993.

Clara Lou Dowlin's teacher experience was recorded in June 1935 in Yuma County.

In 1955 Butte Montana Clara L. is a psychiatric social worker, Paul G. is an auditor for Standard Oil.  They live at 1505 Elm.

In 1958 they're in Billings, same employment.

Clara Lou Stahley 1912-1985  and Paul G. Stahley Mar 30, 1910 - Sep 16, 1961 are in the Yuma Cemetery

Helen Josephine Peterson Brown was born on June 28, 1919, to Axel M. and Lena M. (Robb) Peterson at the Peterson Ranch north of Haigler, Nebraska. Helen graduated from Laird High School in 1937 and attended some college classes at Denver University in Denver, Colorado.
After numerous moves during the early years of marriages to Bud Traxler (June 24, 1942), and later to Clarence Odell (May 12, 1956), Helen finally sold her holdings north of Wray, Colorado when she married Bob Brown on June 5, 1970, and became part owner and partner in the Brown Ranch on the hill north of Haigler and south of Champion, Nebraska. Bob and Helen retired from farming and ranching in the spring of 1996 and bought a home in Imperial, Nebraska, where Helen continued to live.
Helen’s hobbies over the years have consisted of horseback riding in the early years, followed by the care and love for all animals, gardening, crocheting, and knitting. While living on the Brown Ranch, Helen had chickens, ducks, geese, peacocks, guineas, pigs, goats, bottle calves, and even a llama and a donkey. Of course there were always some horses too.
Helen was preceded in death by her second husband Clarence Odell in 1970, first husband Alva (Bud) Traxler in 1993, and her late husband Bob Brown in 2007. She was also preceded in death by brothers, Hoyt, Amel, Elmer, Leigh, Carl, and one sister Fern. Also preceding Helen in death is one son, Thomas Lee Traxler who died in 2001, stepdaughter Gwenn Ellis, grandsons Elliott Dowlin, Billy Jo Pawnee, granddaughters Candy Jo Westrand and Peggy Sue Pawnee. Helen passed away Wednesday morning, March 2, 2011, at the Chase County Community Hospital, Imperial. She was 91 years of age.
Survivors Include one sister Dorothy and husband Harry Blecha of Wray, Colorado, daughter Karen Liptrap and husband Bob of Pueblo West, Colorado, son Steven D. Traxler and wife Brenda of Aurora, Colorado, and son Craig J. Odell and wife Dee of Gurley, Nebraska, stepson Stan Brown and wife Judy of Lincoln, Nebraska, and stepdaughter Mable Jensen and husband Tony of Sterling, Colorado. Helen lived with the Ross Dowlin family after her sister Fern passed and assisted in the care and rearing of the Dowlin children. Those children are Charles Edwin Dowlin, Phillip Dean Dowlin, Carol Lynn Ulrich, and Kenneth Everett Dowlin.
23 Grandchildren: Michael Dell Anderson, Anthony Wayne Anderson Alan Dale Traxler, Lindsey Renae Traxler, Krystle Ann Odell, Jodie Ja Ewald, Angie Rae Odell, Kerry Dowlin, Patrick Dowlin, Deanne Dowlin, Michael Dowlin, Darren Ulrich, Stephanie Skinner, Kevin Dowlin, Kristopher Dowlin, Melissa Brown, Tami Ruch, Jerry Westrand, Carolyn Pawnee, and Sam Pawnee Numerous great grandchildren and one great-great grandchild
Funeral Services for Helen Brown were held Saturday morning, March 5, 2011, 10:30 A.M. at the Champion Community Center, Champion, NE, with Martin Harmon officiating. Interment followed at the Crete Cemetery, Champion.


Philip Dean Dowlin, 76, of Rapid City, died Thursday, May 10, 2012, at his home Phil was born April 7, 1936, in Laird, Colorado to Ross and Fern (Peterson) Dowlin. Phil passed away on the 102nd anniversary of his mother’s birthday. Phil accomplished much in his life but never lost his child-like sense of adventure, an attribute which endeared him to children and animals, especially a certain black cat. His pioneering spirit began as a toddler when he was found on the roof of the family home before he could barely walk. He served in the U.S. Army from 1958 to 1960, where he traveled the globe competing for the US Army Rifle Team, his highest award being his US International Distinguished Shooter Badge. As a highway engineer, he helped blaze trails by surveying mountainous roads in Colorado, Wyoming, Texas and the Black Hills and eventually created the first computer system to design interstate highways. From there he was recruited into the burgeoning computer industry where he became an innovator of revolutionary computer systems for the energy industry and eventually started his own technology company. Phil met his wife, Jan, in 1967 when he hired her to work for him in Denver, CO. and he often said that he has been working for her ever since. They enjoyed 44 years together, including 25 years in Houston, Texas. They had two children, Deanna and Michael, and Phil loved being a father, coaching their basketball teams and beaming with pride at their accomplishments. Phil retired to Rapid City with his wife, Jan, in 1999 to spend time with “the girls,” otherwise known as his mother-in-law Dorothy Morris and her two sisters, Mae Meiners and Marjorie Doody. In retirement, he loved reading, golfing, skiing, playing cards, fishing and playing video games, and he especially loved traveling to exotic locations with his wife and family. True to form, Phil was always thinking of ways to benefit others; he was one of the founders of the Center for Business and Economics of the Northern Plains, South Dakota’s first think-tank. Phil will be remembered for his smile that could light up any room, the mischievous sparkle in his eyes, his generous spirit, his infectious laugh and his terrible, terrible puns. Survivors include his wife, Jan Dowlin of Rapid City; his daughter Deanna Dowlin of Rapid City; his son Michael (Deborah) Dowlin of Houston, Texas; his brothers Ed (May) Dowlin and Ken (Jan) Dowlin, his nieces; Stephanie Skinner and Kerry (Kim); his nephews Darren (Alice) Ulrich, Patrick (Kelly) Dowlin, Kevin (Petra) Dowlin and Kit (Margret) Dowlin and his special “Grandson”, Ryan Skinner. . He was preceded in death by his parents, aunt Helen Brown, sister Carol Ulrich and nephew Elliott Ulrich. Friends and family may call at Edstrom & Rooks Funeral Service, Serenity Springs Chapel of Tranquility on Monday, May 14, from 5 to 7 p.m. Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m., Tuesday, May 15, at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Rapid City with Father Rich Ressler officiating and the Reverend David Cameron, homilist. Interment will be at Mountain View Cemetery with military honors in Rapid City immediately following the service. Memorials have been established to Church Response of Rapid City, Ducks Unlimited, the American Cancer Society or donor’s choice.

Ken Dowlin, MPA 1981, is a librarian and a public administrator who believes that a key event in his career, was working on his MPA at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. When Ken visited UCCS in mid-July, he and his wife Jan were on their way to Denver to the National Archives Regional center to look for information for his most recent book; then they were off to have dinner with his very first library job boss when he was bookmobile driver for Adams County Library in 1961

Ken grew up in the small town of Wray, Colorado. As he drove the tractor in the hay fields, he dreamed, and he has not yet stopped dreaming. In fact he credits his success as a librarian and public administrator in towns as small as Casper, Wyoming to metropolises like San Francisco, California to two traits: he always had a vision and he understands systems.

Ken retired from the School of Library and Information Science at San Jose State University in 2006. His nine year tenure as a professor was a wonderful capstone of a career as director of public libraries that spanned 36 years. After working in a bookmobile, Ken spent from 1964 to 1997 focused on building community support to increase library facilities and services in five different libraries in three different states. During his tenure at the Arvada Colorado Public Library he created a new library building and led the community to increase the operating budget five times greater than when he started. At the Natrona County Wyoming Library in Casper he renovated and expanded the main library, built a new branch, and acquired its first bookmobile. At the Pikes Peak Library District in Colorado Springs, he doubled the space for library services. "Of all the buildings I have been involved with, I am most proud of the Pikes Peak East Library," he states. He also instituted the development of one of the most sophisticated library automation systems in the world. Maggie’s Place, pioneered the development of automated files of community resources, pioneered the first public online community carpooling and transportation information system, and provided the first dial up access to a public library’s catalog and resource files. As City Librarian for San Francisco Ken led the largest capital improvement program for libraries in the history of San Francisco leading to the opening of a world class main library in April 1996. Under his leadership the Friends of the Library have been one of the most effective lobbying groups in San Francisco. While a long time advocate for the use of technology to increase access to information and knowledge, Ken has also increased

the book budgets at each of the library systems that he directed over 300%, thus demonstrating his commitment to books.

Ken frequently notes in his conversations, "But that’s another story." And he has many! He has published over 70 articles, 15 contributions to books and published papers, and 2 books. He is currently working on a historical novel based on New Mexico and grounded in his own family’s history.

Among the honors and awards he has received are elected delegate to the first White House Conference on Libraries and Information Services (1979), cited by U. S. Congressman Tom Lantos for outstanding community leadership (1996) and listed in Who’s Who; Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the West, The Dictionary of International Biography, Who’s Who in Colorado, and Who’s Who in Library and Information Services in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s.

Ken points to Dr. Mark McConkie, Professor at UCCS School of Public Affairs, as his mentor. "He taught me we can’t control the rumor mill, but we can create positive stories that counter negative statements on the rumor mill."



      Back to Pioneer Photographs.

This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.