Yuma County, Colorado

COGenWeb Logo

Home Page Photograph Index Site Index

Yuma County Pioneer Photographs:

Frank and Grace (Smith) Thomann, Yuma.
1900 Hartford Michigan, Ollie M. Smith 39, Evangaline 34, Adelbert U. 10, Catharine A. 67, Grace R. 2, unnamed daughter one month.
Evangeline Smith, born about 1866, died Aug 27, 1901 in Hartford, Michigan – father Nathan D. Broadhead, mother Susan A. Hammond.
Oliver M. Smith 1861-1944 buried in Hartford, Michigan # 53492328. He married Lillie Castle 1873-1956.
Dr. Adelbert Nathan Smith died 1964, buried in Omaha # 73076154
Wright Oliver Smith – 3/2/1924 – Navy 9/13/1956 headstone said it was to be placed in Forest Lawn, Omaha.

Frank Thomann, a pioneer of Marshall county, who has been a factor in the material development of that section of the State since his boyhood, came to Marshall county with his parents when he was about ten years of age. Frank Thomann was born in the Province of Alsace, France, March 27, 1847, and is a son of Jacques and Victoria (Bishop) Thomann, both natives of the same place, and of Swiss descent. The father was a civil engineer in his native land, following that vocation there until 1856, when the family immigrated to America, landing in New York in August of that year, and immediately went to Philadelphia, Pa., where they remained until March 27, 1857, when they started west. They came as far as Pittsburgh, Pa., by rail, and from there took a river boat and came as far as St. Joseph, Mo., by water. Here they bought a yoke of cattle and a wagon, and in company with George Guittard, a brother-in-law, started on the long trip to Marshall county, Kansas. There were few settlers along the trail, and on the entire trip from the Missouri river, they saw, perhaps, less than a half dozen houses. June 4, 1857, they arrived at the place which they proposed to make their future home, locating on the creek about four miles north of where Beattie now stands. Here they preëmpted land, and lived in a tent, and proceeded to build a more substantial residence, which consisted of a log house of the pioneer type. They were the first settlers in this immediate section, which was then considered the frontier of the unsettled plains. Large game was plentiful, such as deer, antelope and turkeys, but there were no buffaloes here then. However, there were large herds of them a short distance west of the Blue river. There were also many Indians near this vicinity, but they gave no trouble, with the exception of an occasional Indian scare now and then, which was a regular incident of pioneer life. These were the days of the overland stage coach, and the pony express, and many pioneer institutions which have long since disappeared.
George Guittard, who came with the Thomann family, opened a stage station shortly after coming here, which was located on the California stage line, and known as Guittard station. Mr. Guittard was one of the first county commissioner of Marshall county. Jaques Thomann followed surveying to some extent after coming to Kansas, doing some of the early surveying in the country, among which was a road from Atchison to the Nebraska line. He was the first county surveyor of Marshall county, but his career was brought to a close while he was still a comparatively young man. He died May 9, 1864.
Frank Thomann was educated in the schools of his native land up to the time that the family came to this country, after which he attended such schools as the new country provided, until his father's death, when he remained at home to help care for his mother. At that time he, and an older half-brother, Joseph Thomann, worked the home farm and were very successful in farming and stock raising. He remained on the farm until 1884, when he sold out to his half-brother, and removed to Beattie, and engaged in the grain business with Brunswig & Company at Beattie. He was also one of the organizers of the Bank of Beattie, and at that time one of the heaviest investors in that institution. He remained at Beattie five years, or until 1889.
At this time the town of Summerfield was just starting, and he decided to cast his lot with the new town. He and August Wuester formed a partnership, and engaged in the drug business in Summerfield, under the firm name of Wuester & Thomann. This partnership continued until 1894, when a part of the town was destroyed by fire, which swept away their store. Mr. Thomann rebuilt and engaged in business alone then, doing business under the name of Thomann & Company, and continued for several years. In addition to the drug business, he was also in the grain business and prospered in that. In 1892 he built a large elevator at Summerfield, known as the Brunswig Elevator. They also built elevators at Bookwalter, Axtell, Mina and Summit. He was also extensively interested in the Summerfield Hardware & Implement Company, and was manager of this enterprise for ten years. He has disposed of his interest in this business, and also the drug store, and is now devoting his attention to the grain business and his banking interests.
The State Bank of Summerfield was organized about the time that he came to Summerfield and he immediately bought a large block of stock in that institution, and has been its president since 1889, the year of its organization, and since that time he has been active in directing the policy of the bank, which has had a prosperous business, and is one of the substantial banks of Northern Kansas.
Mr. Thomann was married March 10, 1883, to Miss Charlotte, daughter of Abraham and Margaret (Bauer) Wuester, both natives of Germany. They came to Kansas with the Thomann family, and settled on adjoining farms in Marshall county, but returned to St. Joseph, Mo., remaining until 1860, when they again came to Marshall county, and made their future home here. The father was a successful farmer, and died in September, 1913, at a ripe old age, and his wife departed this life in November, 1911, at the advanced age of eighty. Mrs. Thomann was born and reared in Marshall county. To Mr. and Mrs. Thomann have been born four children: James A., deceased; Charles Wilber, married Maud Jones and resides at Frankfort; Warren Frank, married Nina Kelley, resides at Frankfort, and Frank Charles, a student at Kansas University, Lawrence, Kan.
While Mr. Thomann has been and still is active in the commercial and industrial life of his county, he has found time to take an active interest in the public and political affairs of Marshall county. He is a Democrat, and although interested in the welfare of his party and the promotion of its principles, he has never sought office. However, as a matter of public interest, he has served on the school board of Summerfield, and at one time was appointed fish and game warden of Marshall county, and served as mayor of Summerfield one term. He is a Royal Arch Mason, a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine. He also belongs to the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and he and Mrs. Thomann are members of the Knights and Ladies of Security.

Frank 1847-1925 is buried in Beattie, Marshall County, Kansas 77704572 -= so is Charlotte 77704554 and Jacques 77502898
July 19, 1923 "Frank C. Thomann and Grace R. Smith of Pawnee City, Neb., were united in marriage by Rev.C.F. Lucas in Wray last Saturday."

In 1940 Yuma - on west 10th, is Frank C. Thomann, 44, Kansas, with Grace R. 41, Michigan, and Charles E. 13, Nebraska. He is the superintendent of schools, and they were in Pawnee City, Nebraska in 1935.

Arlene (Trautman) Glenn wrote " I took piano lessons from Grace Thomann when I was in early elementary school and we had a recital at her house- the Superintendent's house near the high school. I remember Charles being there but don't remember much about him. I was always timid around Frank. "

Charles Thomann attended Yuma High School in Yuma, CO and graduated class of 1944.

1963 Beatrice, Nebraska "Supt. of Schools Frank C. Thomann and Mrs. Thomann of Eaton, Colo., and Mrs. Ruth Schafer, a teacher at the Beatrice State Home, were Friday evening luncheon guests at the Willard Smith home. Mr. Thomann was Mr. Smith's high school teacher and superintendent of the Pawnee City Schools. Mrs. Schafer was also one of his students."

September 9, 1973 THOMANN - Frank Charles, 80, Pawnee City, died Friday in Lincoln. Services: 10 a.m. Monday, United Presbyterian, Pawnee City, the Rev. Kenneth Garrison. Pawnee City Cemetery.

1973 Col LaVon P Linn of Arlington, Va,, a retired U.S. Army officer who served with the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will never forget his hometown of Pawnee City nor the residents who had a great influence on his younger life. And he is certain that his recognition of their influence will continue in perpetuity through an extensive scholarship program at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Col. Linn and his wife, Ruby, have given the University of Nebraska Foundation a 150,000 gift to establish a scholarship fund in honor of his former school superintendent, the late Frank C. Thomann, and his wife, Mrs Grace Thomann, who is now living in Annapolis, Md. The 'Frank and Grace Thomann Scholarships' will provide financial aid for graduates of Pawnee City High School

Frank Charles Thomann, distinguished educator of Nebraska, was born at Summerfield, Kansas, May 16, 1893. His father, Frank Thomann, who was born in Alsace, France, March 27, 1847, and died at Summerfield, June 3, 1925, was a bank president for 26 years, and was at the same time engaged in the hardware business, owned a drug store and operated a grain elevator. He was a Democrat and was active in local politics, acting as mayor of his community for many years. He was a 32nd degree Mason, a Shriner, and past master. His father, who settled in Kansas in 1857, was a civil engineer and the first surveyor of Marshall County after Kansas became a state. The family came from France but some branches of it have been traced to Switzerland where his grandfather was a manufacturer. Charlotte, wife of Frank Thomann, Sr., was born near Beattie, Marshall County, Kansas, December 16, 1865, of a German family which was made wealthy by the possession of a farm in Germany enclosing which four cities grew together increasing the value of the land tremendously. Her father came to America to escape German Military service, but later purchased the privilege to return to his native country for a visit. An uncle of Mrs. Thomann's was a university professor in Germany.
Mr. Thomann was graduated from the Summerfield High School in 1913. Later he attended the University of Kansas, where he was awarded the A. B. degree in 1918; he also attended summer schools at the University of Nebraska, Chicago, and Colorado and was awarded a masters degree in 1928. He was made a member of Phi Delta Kappa, Kappa Delta Phi, was awarded the Phi Delta Kappa Service Key, and was vice president and then president of the Acomas, a fraternity now called Sigma Phi Epsilon. Instructor in the high school at Summerfield, 1915-16, he was superintendent of school at Maple Hill, Kansas, 1918-1919; at Wakefield, Kansas, 1919-1922; and in 1922 was made superintendent of city schools at Pawnee City, Nebraska, where he is now beginning his ninth year of educational service. He is the author of a thesis Educational Survey of the Public Schools of Pawnee City.
His marriage to Grace Rachel Smith was solemnized at Wray, Yuma County, Colorado, July 14, 1923. Mrs. Thomann, who is of Dutch and English ancestry, and is eligible for membership in the Daughters of the American Revolution, was born at Hartford, Michigan, July 19, 1898. Before her marriage she was a Pawnee County Red Cross nurse. Charles Edwin, their only son, was born September 4, 1926.
Mr. Thomann enlisted in the World War at Topeka, Kansas, December, 1917, but upon his arrival at Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, Missouri, was rejected for military service. He is a member of the Nebraska State Teachers' Association, the Red Cross, the Pawnee City Service Club, and the Nebraskana Society. He is a Mason, 32nd degree, Scottish Rite. He was a member of the Y. M. C. A. cabinet at the University of Kansas in 1917 and 1918; was president of the Westminister Guild there, an organization with a membership of over 500 Presbyterian students. He is affiliated with the First Presbyterian Church, at Pawnee City. His social club is the Pawnee City Round Table. He is interested in all sports, especially hunting, fishing, football, and basketball. He is a Republican. Residence: Pawnee City.
Frank Charles Thomann 1893-1973 and Grace R. 1898-1974 are buried in Pawnee City. # 83347205

Colonel Charles E. Thomann, Retired, 2005, wrote "Jeff Bloome has produced an outstanding narrative concerning a little known period of history in 19th Century Kansas. I was attracted to it because my own grandparents were captured by Indians on a Kansas farm near Marysville, one of my family members was burned at the stake by Indians in the 1700's, and many of my ancestors had to protect their homes and lives from warring tribes in New York and Kansas. This book is the epitome of research on the subject of the Indian raids that terrorized and killed so many settlers in Kansas in the 1860's, and none of it is fiction. Dr. Broome tells the facts in a way that is spellbinding, and in a manner that makes the people of the time, both Settler and Indian alike, very real. Dr. Bloome has the ability to capture their time and the way they felt and reacted to these tragedies. The American settler comes alive, particuarly in the person of Susanna Alderdice and her family. Five stars is the most I am permitted to rate Dog Soldier Justice, but it deserves more than that and anyone whose ancestors were a part of the early history of America should be particularly grateful to Dr. Bloome for his detailed research and the sincere empathy he shows in his writing about these real people on the prairie who eventually succeeded,in making the wild terrority home despite its many dangers. This is not a derogatory piece designed deliberately to make Indians look bad, there were many good Indians, it is simply historical fact about the Dog Soldier Indians who did a great amount of harm to their own cause, and the story needs to be told as it happened, not as some would like it told. The extent of his research and his care in the presentation coupled with a captivating style of writing and complete footnotes to back up this writing makes this a must reading for those interested in the history of the Plains in the 19th Century.”

Retired Col. Charles E. Thomann will instruct a two-hour class on the history of Fort Meade Oct. 24 at Anne Arundel Community College. In two weeks, Anne Arundel Community College will present a two-hour class on the history of Fort Meade.
It should come as no surprise that retired Col. Charles E. Thomann will be the teacher. A decorated veteran who fought in World War II, Korea and Vietnam, Thomann is a former commander of a major military intelligence group at Fort Meade.
But that's not all. During his 33-year military career, Thomann served in the occupation of Japan and Germany; traveled to Hiroshima four months after the bomb was dropped; kept the Cuban Missile Task Force apprised; was chief of Current Intelligence and Reports for Gen. William Westmoreland (commander of U.S. forces in Vietnam); was chief of South Vietnamese operations for the Defense Intelligence Agency; commanded an infantry battalion in Vietnam for six months; served as chief of counterintelligence for the Army at the Pentagon and as temporary deputy chief of intelligence for Forces Command; and commanded a special security group at the Pentagon for the Army's assistant chief of staff for intelligence before retiring in 1977.
Thomann was awarded the Silver Star -- the Army's third highest award for valor -- for his service in Vietnam. He also was awarded four Bronze Stars including a Bronze Star with the V device in Korea.
But that's not all. A musical theater major, Thomann sang in the 1945 Soldier Show while Betty Grable danced. He acted in and helped manage road shows for the Ernie Pyle Theater in Tokyo, performed in the first presentation of the "The Mikado" in Japan and played the drums with a swing band at Gen. Douglas MacArthur's embassy parties.
"Yes, I've done a lot, but I've done what my country asked me to do," said Thomann, 81, who resides in Annapolis with his wife Joyce. They have three children and six grandchildren including Lt. Mark Thomann, a Navy pilot scheduled to deploy to Iraq.
Since 1991, Thomann has taught five courses at Anne Arundel Community College's Lifelong Learning noncredited program. "He's an excellent instructor," said Pattie Nolton, assistant director of Lifelong Learning. "He lived these stories. He will make something in the past come alive again."
Born in 1926 in Pawnee City, Neb., Thomann is related to nine U.S. presidents, possibly 11. Family members have fought in every conflict in America since 1664. Relatives fought on both sides of the Civil War; at least 35 fought in World War I.
Thomann, who studied theater at the University of Denver with hopes of becoming a musical comedy or opera star, was drafted at the end of 1944. He served in the Philippines with the Provisional Company Infantry, guarding a base south of Manila. "We found out later we were replacements for the invasion of Japan," he said.

At the war's end, Thomann volunteered to serve in the occupation of Japan for nearly two years and was assigned to the educational department. After his discharge, he earned a theater degree in 1949 while attending Reserve Officer Training Corps. He was offered a regular Army commission. "Only 10 were offered in Colorado," he said. "I decided I liked the military so I took the offer."
Deployed in 1950 to Korea, he fought in the brutal Battle of Pusan Perimeter and was wounded several times including in the shoulder. "I still can't lift my right arm up all the way to salute."
In 1961, an infantry colonel convinced Thomann to join a new military intelligence branch in the Pentagon. For the next 16 years, he was involved in various intelligence positions. In 1965, he was in charge of the White House Situation Room regarding Vietnam, maintaining up-to-date maps and briefing Secretary of Defense Robert S. McNamara.

In 1968, Thomann returned to Vietnam as a lieutenant colonel in charge of intelligence for the 4th Infantry Division, establishing pattern analyses. "We found the largest arms cache ever found in Vietnam," he said. "They were preparing for an invasion. We stopped it." After two tours in Vietnam, Thomann returned to the Pentagon. In 1971, he attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces at Fort McNair in Washington, D.C., then briefly served as commander of the 109th Military Intelligence Group at Fort Meade, which provided counterintelligence for the entire East Coast.
Asked to be executive officer to the assistant chief of staff for intelligence at the Pentagon in 1977, Thomann declined. "I was worn out and decided to retire," he said.
Over the years, Thomann, who took master's courses in teaching, has taught English history, the history of American wars, the comprehensive history of the American presidents and the history of the Middle East, Near East, Southeast Asia, Korea, China and Japan.
On Monday, Thomann appeared on Maryland Public Television for an interview on Fort Meade's history. He also will be the guest speaker at Fort Meade's annual Veterans Day Observance at 3 p.m. Nov. 8 at the museum courtyard. To bone up on Fort Meade's history, Thomann met with Robert Johnson, curator of the Post Museum. "I've been doing a lot of research," Thomann said. "I didn't know much about it when I was here."
Currently entitled "World War II and Fort Meade," the course will be offered Oct. 24 from 2 to 4 p.m. on campus. Registration is $29. The focus will include the installation's creation and its role during World War I and II, and the Cold War. At the college's suggestion, Thomann will teach in uniform.
This is the first time the class has been offered. "We want to acknowledge Fort Meade's 90th anniversary," Nolton said. "He is the one I wanted because of his background. It's so incredible."

There are not many of us left who served in combat during World War II, Korea and Vietnam.
I was drafted in January 1945, at the end of World War II, took infantry basic training at then-Camp Hood in Texas and advanced infantry training at Fort Rucker in Alabama. I was promoted to temporary corporal, assigned an infantry squad, and we went by troop ship out of Washington state to the Philippines and were assigned to a base south of Manila.
Our mission was to protect the town of Batangas and our base from Japanese who were still in the area. When the Japanese left Batangas, they raided a Catholic girls school, raping several of the nuns and taking some of the girls with them into the hills. Despite our efforts to rescue the girls, we were never able to do so. There were stories in the town that Japanese would snatch babies from their mothers, throw them in the air and catch them on their bayonets.
The jungle trails were not easy to search, and we had some attempted raids against our base. I was told that we lost 17 men trying to get Japanese to surrender, some of them before I got there. I had just turned 19 when a bullet whizzed over my head on one of the trails.
Shortly after the nuclear bombs were dropped on Japan, the war ended, and I received orders to be in the occupation of Japan.
In the approximately two years I served in Japan, I learned the language. The Japanese treated us very well, and some told me they were happy the bombs had been dropped because that had ended the war and their husbands and sons could come home.
During the occupation of Japan, I was assigned to the office charged with reviving Japanese education. Mrs. Yamamoto, the wife of Adm. Isoroku Yamamoto (who planned the Pearl Harbor attack) was very much involved. I have been to her house. It was half Japanese and half Western; both she and her husband had been in the United States before the war.
I was then assigned to the Ernie Pyle Theater, and we gave soldier shows in Japan and Korea. My interest was in theater, and I had had a scholarship to the University of Denver’s theater department when the draft got me. At the Ernie Pyle, we gave many shows in which I had leads, including 'Arsenic and Old Lace' and 'Yes My Darling Daughter.' Returning to the University of Denver in 1947, I pursued my musical theater career and also joined the ROTC program, graduating in 1949 and receiving one of 10 Regular Army commissions given in Colorado that year. I was assigned as a platoon leader, infantry, to the Second Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Wash.

* * *
When the Korean War broke out, our division was sent to Korea, and we landed in Pusan in August 1950. Almost immediately, we were in combat along various parts of the Pusan perimeter. The fighting was quite intense as North Korean units attempted to overrun us and drive us into the sea. We lost many men, including every man in one of the platoons of our company. I found five of the men with their hands tied behind their backs and shot in the back of the head.

There are many stories I could tell about individual heroism and the fighting. I was wounded while directing fire but insisted on not being evacuated and returned to my unit about the time the Inchon invasion took place. I received a battlefield promotion to first lieutenant.
When the Inchon invasion happened, the battles suddenly stopped. It was eerie to have the enemy just suddenly disappear as they fled north because their supply lines had been severed by that brilliant tactic - opposed by many in Washington - ordered by Gen. Douglas MacArthur.
We were immediately ordered to move north, and I know we passed leftover North Korean soldiers along the way, many of them in civilian clothes. They waved at us, but we were told to keep moving as long as they didn't make contact.
They did plant some mines. The jeep in front of me hit one designed to disable a tank. The jeep flipped several feet in the air, and all four men in it were killed. Because the mines were in wooden cases, we could not readily detect them.
The move into North Korea was rapid, and only occasionally did we run into a firefight. On several occasions, the North Koreans used civilians as their shields. We tried not to hurt the screaming mob that ran toward our positions, instead getting them through our lines into safety before firing on the North Koreans behind them.
It worked, although one kid did drop a grenade close to me. We took cover, and it wen off without harm. The South Korean police behind us told me later that the kid had been told that if he didn't drop the grenade close to an American, his sisters would be killed.
We reached an area less than 20 miles from the Yalu River and dug in because there were attacks by unknown forces. The October weather was getting cold, and by late November, the winds out of Manchuria were freezing. Contact with enemy forces, now identified as Chinese, were becoming more frequent.
The 2nd Division began an offensive, but it bogged down because of the attacks and the cold weather. On Thanksgiving evening, we were all surprised to have hot turkey and all the trimmings served to us by the mess sergeants. That night, the bugles and flares of the Chinese began, and after very heavy fighting, the 2nd Division was ordered to retreat to better positions to our rear.
We ran a gantlet of about 10 miles to the critical Kuneri Pass, suffering many casualties. Marine P51 fighters helped us in our retreat. What we didn't know was that the Chinese had been ordered to destroy our division, and we had about 100,000 Chinese in our area attempting to do so.
As we moved to, and through, the pass, many troops were killed, including my radio operator. I was shot twice in the right shoulder, shattering my arm socket. The ditch I rolled into was full of dead, but the survivors, including myself, were able to get to the southern end of the pass where British tanks had been stationed. The wounded were taken to a MASH unit that was about 10 miles behind the lines. We were treated and eventually evacuated to Japan.
I was told later that the battalion to which I was temporarily attached had about 750 men on Thanksgiving and just 69 got out. Some were captured, but most were killed. The 2nd Infantry Division was in the western part of Korea, and at the same time, the Marines and the 7th Army Division on the eastern side were having the same problems with at least 100,000 Chinese at the Chosin Reservoir and elsewhere. The weather was 20 below zero much of the time, and even our rifles froze up if we didn't keep the oil warm.
* * *
After being evacuated to Japan and then Hawaii and the United States and being united with my new wife - we had been married just before I shipped off to Korea - I was assigned to teach at the infantry school at Fort Benning. I was then assigned to intelligence duties in the occupation of Germany, where our youngest son was born. He later went to the Naval Academy and became a carrier pilot, retiring as a reserve captain several years ago and working for United Airlines and Boeing.
It was back to the infantry school as a captain and then to the ROTC program at Southwest Missouri State University. The next assignment was to serve as the briefing officer in the new Defense Intelligence Agency in the Pentagon, where I kept the secretary of the Army and the Army chief of staff apprised of world events.
In 1962, it was my job to keep the members of the Cuban Missile Task Force in Washington apprised of the situation in Cuba and the movement of Soviet missiles into Cuba. I am, to my knowledge, the last surviving member of the Cuban Missile Task Force.
When the Vietnam War began, I was assigned to Gen. William Westmoreland’s staff in Saigon as the chief of current intelligence. We were the first to detect North Vietnamese forces moving down the Ho Chi Minh Trail into South Vietnam.
I returned to the Pentagon in 1965 with responsibility for keeping President Johnson up to date on the Vietnam situation. When the Tet Offensive was over in 1968, I was part of the Pentagon team that went to Vietnam to study the results. The Viet Cong had been defeated decidedly, with many casualties by our “surge” when United States troops had earlier been introduced into Vietnam. Shortly after, the North Vietnamese army began to come down the Ho Chi Minh Trail into South Vietnam in great numbers, and we became involved with them very quickly.
I was assigned as the G-2, chief intelligence officer, to the 4th Infantry Division in the highlands, and we were responsible for stopping the annual takeover of villages and roads in the highlands of South Vietnam opposite the Cambodian border. The enemy had bases there that we were not allowed to destroy until President Nixon became our commander in chief. We also discovered and took the largest enemy arms cache ever found in Vietnam. It was a large hill just inside the Vietnam border with Cambodia.
I was then assigned as the commander of a mechanized infantry battalion in the highlands of Vietnam, and we were able to attack and destroy a larger North Vietnamese regiment that was attempting to invade the highlands as it had every fall for a number of years. The enemy regiment suffered heavy losses, including its very seasoned commander, and retreated into Cambodia, where it took several years to reconstitute. Our losses were four killed in combat and several hundred wounded, most not seriously.
After many assignments in the Washington area, including being the action officer for Vietnamization in the Pentagon, the commander of the 109th Military Intelligence Group at Fort Meade, Md., the chief of counterintelligence for the Army, the deputy chief of staff for intelligence at Forces Command in Atlanta and the commander of the Special Security Group of the Army in the Pentagon, I retired as a Regular Army colonel in June 1977. I also was a founder, president and executive director of the National Intelligence Association for a number of years.
* * *
Members of my family have served in every war in which Americans, or English Americans, have been involved since 1664, when my grandfather of the time, a captain, came with the Duke of York's expedition to take New Amsterdam away from the Dutch. Several members of my family were in the French-Indian War; 44 members of the family were in the Revolution (one a friend of George Washington's); two grandfathers were in the War of 1812; a cousin and others were in the Mexican War of 1846-48; 235 we can document were in the Civil War on both sides, including George Hainsworth, who fired the first cannon shot at Charleston, S.C., and another who was a friend of Abraham Lincoln’s; and others fought in the Indian Wars, the Spanish American War, World War I and so on.
For the record, my medals include the Silver Star, three Legions of Merit; four Bronze Stars (one with a V for valor); five Air Medals and many different commendation medals. I am most proud of having a star on my Combat Infantryman’s Badge (two awards). They didn't give it for the Philippine action because it was so late in the war and we didn’t see enough action to deserve it.
I am a member of the Veterans Commission of Anne Arundel County and an adjunct professor of history at Anne Arundel Community College in Annapolis

2010 “Retired Army Colonel Charles Thomann, one of the few surviving combat veterans of three major wars......””

Joyce Elaine Thomann, 77, a 40-year resident of Annapolis, died September 22, 2011 at the Anne Arundel Medical Center after a battle of several years with cancer. She was born October 30, 1933 in Boulder, CO. During her very successful career Joyce worked for the Defense Intelligence Agency in the Pentagon, for the State Department, for United States Senator Gordon Allott of Colorado, as an Assistant to Paul Weyrich the President of the Free Congress Foundation in Washington, and as the First Corporate Secretary of the prestigious Heritage Foundation. It was she who designed the Liberty Bell Logo for Heritage. She was also in charge of arranging briefings on the then critical Central American situation given in the White House when Ronald Reagan was President. The President attended those briefings, many of which were presented by Oliver North. Joyce was very active in Maryland politics serving successfully as President of the Anne Arundel Republican Woman's Club, as the Legislative Chairwoman of the Maryland Republican Women, and as a member of the Maryland Taxpayer's Association.
Joyce and her husband were also members of the Annapolis Chorale and on the Board of Directors of the Chorale for many years. Joyce was a devout Christian throughout her life and loved singing in the Church Choirs she and her husband attended during their many moves because of military assignments. She had a beautiful soprano voice. In recent years she served as a Choir member and Vestry member of Saint Paul's Anglican Church in Crownsville. She was preceded in death by her father, Walter Thompson; and her stepfather, Gordon Stone. She is survived by her husband of 62 years, Retired Army Colonel Charles Thomann; three children, Mark, Debra, and Bradley; six grandchildren, Jere, David, Heather, Mark, Brittany, and Brooke; and great-granddaughter Delaney.
Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. on Saturday, September 24 at St. Paul's Anglican Church, Crownsville. She will be buried in Arlington Cemetery, but a date has not yet been set. The John M. Taylor Funeral Home in Annapolis is in charge of arrangements. A viewing was held there on September 23. It was her wish that instead of flowers, that contributions be made to St. Paul's Church or to Cancer Organizations working toward the cure of cancer. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/capitalgazette/obituary.aspx?n=joyce-elaine-thomann&pid=153774659&#sthash.sDRcZpOC.dpuf

November 11, 2014 The Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs and the United Veterans of Anne Arundel County will sponsor a ceremony at 11 am at the Maryland Veterans Cemetery, 1122 Sunrise Beach Road in Crownsville. The principal speaker is retired Army Sgt. 1st Class Larry Barber. Music will be performed by Maryland Defense Force Band and guest vocalist retired Col. Charles E. Thomann, MaryAnn Evangelista and Shelia Raynor-Frazier. The Fort Meade Marine Corps Color Guard will lead the presentation of colors supported by local veterans service organizations. ------------------------------------------
Kit Carson recorded
December 22 1909 Bessie Thomann of Burlington married Maynard W. Dunham of Kanorado – witnesses Arnold Thomann and Mary Thomann.
Her father was Leo, mother Lucy, in Kit Carson County – Leo was born Apr 1852 in France, Lucy E. Nov 1852 Iowa, married 16 years. Arnold Dec 1887 Bessie Aug 1890, and Mry Feb 1894 all born in Colorado. Leo’s parents were John and Catherine – probably buried in Iowa.

Arnold A. Thomann and Vera G. Dillon Sept 6, 1916
Mary Thomann and Elmer O. Magnuson Oct 24, 1917

Back to Pioneer Photographs.

This page is maintained by M.D. Monk.