Technician 5th Grade Wilbur Earl Bishop

(Photo donated by Arlene Glenn)

World War II

US Army
54th Field Artillery, Camp Polk, Louisiana
Service Number:
Born: June 8, 1918
Service with 168 FA Bn, Colo. National Guard 1937-1940
Re-enlisted: July 11, 1941
Died: March 4, 1942, Leeville, Louisiana
Buried: Wauneta, Nebraska

Son of Mable D. and Orville J. Bishop of Salt Lake City. (Formerly of Wray.)

Bishop Marker Wauneta Cemetery

McCook (Nebraska) Daily Gazette - March 1942

Wauneta Soldier Who Died in Accident to be Buried on Tuesday

Wauneta --(Special) ---

The body of Wilbur Earl Bishop, son of Mr. and Mrs. Orville J. Bishop of Wauneta, arrived last night from Camp Polk, La., where he lost his life in a motorcycle accident while on duty with an Army convoy March 4.

Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Methodist church. The body arrived at McCook by train last night and was given a military escort to Wauneta.

Mr. Bishop, a technician with an artillery division at Camp Polk, was inducted into the army last July. Previously he managed a men's wear store at Monte Vista, Colo. He had lived for a while at Colorado and was quite well known in McCook.

(Clipping provided by Arlene Glenn)

Monte Vista Journal - March 13, 1942

Wilbur Bishop Killed in Army Accident

Wilbur Bishop, 23, is Monte Vista's first casualty in World War Two. According to word received here this week he was killed in a motorcycle accident while on Army Maneuvers at Fort Knox, Kentucky where he had been in training since last March after enlisting in the service.

According to details of the accident which resulted in the young mans death, he was accompanying a convoy of trucks as messenger on a motorcycle on Wednesday, March 4. A civilian truck made a wrong turn and drove in front of the motorcycle on which Bishop was riding. He was killed instantly.

Military services were held at Camp Polk Saturday morning, with officers and men from his unit attending. The body was taken to Wauneta, Nebraska, where funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon and interment was in that city.

He was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Orville J. Bishop, former residents of this city, who now make their home in Salt Lake City, Utah. Wilbur was graduated from the Rio Grande County High School in 1937 and after graduation was employed at Gordons Stores, a position which he held until shortly before he was called to the army.

He was a former member of Battery D, 168th Field Artillery, Colorado National Guard, serving three years with the unit. He received his honorable discharge before the unit was mobilized for army service.

Monte Vista - March 1942

Wilbur Bishop Killed Accidentally at Army Camp

Tech. 5th Gr. Wilbur Earl Bishop died while in service for his country at Camp Polk, La., on March 4th, 1942. Death was caused as the young man was accompanying a convoy of trucks as a messenger on a motorcycle. A civilian truck made a wrong turn and drove in front of the motorcycle on which young Bishop was riding. The contact caused instant death.

Military services were held at Camp Polk at 10 o'clock Saturday morning in the Chapel of the 54th Field Artillery with Chaplain Elliott in charge. The rites were attended by the personnel officers of the 54th Field Artillery and men from the Headquarters Battery. Formal burial rites were held at the main gate as the remains left the camp for the depot escorted by Tech. 5th Gr. Crews. The flag draped casket lies in state at the Johnston Mortuary. The escort Tech. 5th Gr. Crews by special permission remained in Wauneta to attend the services for his buddy.

The funeral will be held at the Methodist church Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 with Reverend Robert L. Embree in charge.

A military service will be held at the grave in charge of the American Legion.

Wilbur Earl Bishop, son of Mable D. and Orville J. Bishop, was born near Palisade, Nebr, on June 8, 1918 and departed this life March 4, 1942 at Leeville, La., at the age of 23 years.

At the age of five years or in 1923 he moved with his parents to Wray, Colorado where he attended grade school and the first three years of high school, after which the family moved to Monte Vista, Colorado where he completed his senior year. His first service was in the Colorado National Guard where he served for three years and at the end of his term was given an honorable discharge.

Following his graduation from high school he was employed for three years in Monte Vista at the Gordon's Stores attaining a responsible position as manager of the men's department. His duty and service to those for whom he worked was outstanding and was best noted by the energetic way he tackled his job and his thoroughness. This trait was also characteristic in Army life for his superiors said of him that whatever his job it was always well done. What finer tribute can be paid a youth of today.

It was while he was employed at Monte Vista that Wilbur was inducted into the Army on July 11, 1941. At Fort Knox, Kentucky he took a training course as a motorcycle technician earning the title of Technician 5th Grade.

During his early childhood he confessed his faith in Christ and was united with the Presbyterian church in Wray, Colorado. He was a charter member of the DeMolay at Wray and one of its most active members, holding an office and discharging his duties in a most commendable manner.

His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orville Bishop now reside in Salt Lake City.

The brother Archie, who has farming interests near Palisade, came from Salt Lake City last Thursday, accompanied by his mother who had intended visiting relatives here, but upon their arrival learned of the death of their son and brother, which came in the form of a telegram from Major Frederic J. Brown, 54th Arm'd FA BN Commanding Officer.

By order of the family the remains were shipped and the C.E. Johnston Mortuary met the train in McCook Sunday night.

The father, Orville J. Bishop and sisters Patricia Ann of Salt Lake, Mrs. Verna Schilling, Mrs. John Meinke and Mr. Meinke arrived there Saturday as did also the young man's fiancee, Miss Alta Donmopray and an aunt, Mrs. J.B. Hillyer from Denver.

Wilbur is survived by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Orville J. Bishop of Salt Lake City, one bother Archie of Palisade, three sisters, Mrs. Verna E. Shilling and Mrs. Elbert M. Meinke, . . . . . . . (rest of clipping missing)

Go to previous page | next page.

Return to Gold Star Veterans Listing.