Gordon P. Bullock

Born in Wray in 1920, the son of Guy and Anna BANCROFT Bulllock

B-24D-40-CO Liberator Serial Number 42-40254  
13th AF
307th BG
370th BS

Pilot  2nd Lt. Nathaniel B. Guiberson, Jr., O-661828 (MIA / KIA) TX
Co-Pilot  2nd Lt Richard M. Foss, O-678221 (MIA / KIA) IL
Navigator  2nd Lt George E. Scamman, O-0797407 (MIA / KIA) ME
Bombardier  2nd Lt Leonard R. Graff, 0-727633 (MIA / KIA) NY
Engineer  SSgt Seymour L. Adelman, 12010960 (MIA / KIA) NJ
Asst Engineer  SSgt Robert N. Furtwangler, 36160718 (MIA / KIA) MI
Radio  SSgt John E. Fanning, 13047851 (MIA / KIA) PA
Asst Radio  Sgt James O. Avery, 7008922 (MIA / KIA) LA
Tail Gunner  SSgt Robert J. Ventura, 18125902 (MIA / KIA) TX
Armourer-Gunner  Pvt Gordon P. Bullock, 20914045 (MIA / KIA) CA

MIA   June 30, 1943
MACR  30

Aircraft History
Built by Consolidated at San Diego. When lost, engines R-1830-43 serail numbers 41-14753, 42-44079, 42-44119, 42-44031. Weapon serial numbers not noted in MACR.

Mission History
Took off from Carney Field at 705am on a search mission "X-Ray" shipping search to the north-west, then return to the same airfield, with good weather. This bomber failed to return and the crew was declared Missing In Action (MIA).

Possibly, this B-24 was shot down by 251st Kōkūtai J1N1 Irving piloted by Satoru Ono with observer Okado, which claimed a B-24 shot down.

The crew was officially declared dead on January 21, 1946. Memorialized on the tablets of the missing at Manila American Cemetery.

MACR lists Scamman as "Scammon" incorrectly


Located on Guadalcanal near Koli Point on, fifteen miles from Henderson Field, closest to the Metapona River to the east and the Naumbu River to the west. To the south-east was a Crash Strip and further to to the south-east is Koli Field (Bomber 3). The single strip ran approximately NE to SW (parallel to Koli Field).

Built by US Naval Construction Battalion 14 (SeaBees) led by Captain James V. Carney after repairing Henderson Field. Construction began from December 5 - 17, 1942, resulting in an emergency runway 150' x 7300'.

On December 16, 1942 the first landing was by SBD Dauntless 06667 piloted by Captain Carney who pronounced the strip satisfactory. After taking off again, his plane developed motor trouble over Skylark Channel and crashed killing both aboard. Afterwards, the new airfield was named "Carney Field" for Captain James V. Carney.

Further expanded, this airfield was designed for use by 13th Air Force heavy bombers with several taxiways added to both sides of the runway. By January 1945 the main runway was 6,700' x 150'.


Go to previous page | next page.

Return to Gold Star Veterans Listing.