A-C    D-G    H-L     M-R    S-Z


vine_ros.gif (1421 bytes)

DAMJANOVICH - Tuesday, May10, [1911] at 400 West Chestnut street, Mary Damjanovich, aged 28 years.

DEAN - The funeral of the late Arthur Dean will be held Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. at the Presbyterian church.  The funeral cortčge will leave the family residence at 214 Elm street at 2 p.m.

DELKER, CHARLES - Charles Delker, brother of Miss Bertha Delker, of 210 East Seventh street, was buried yesterday afternoon in Evergreen cemetery.  The funeral service was held at 2 o'clock at the home of his sister. The Rev. William Walder, of the Methodist church, conducting the last sad rites.  Out of respect for one of his last wishes, no flowers were sent by friends, but one large set piece completely covered the casket.

Mr. Delker died last Thursday at Denver following a cerebral hemorrhage.  He had moved but recently from Dillon because of failing health, but the chance had failed to improve his condition.  He was 59 years old.

The sister, Miss Delker, of this city, and a brother, James Delker, of Dillon, are the only survivors.

The pallbearers were Joseph Clarke, F. H. Seow, J. Briel, W. Crawford, Col. Craven and M. J. Brennan.

DELKER - Thursday, April 8, [1920] in Denver, Charles Delker formerly of this city. 

Remains will be brot to this city for interment. Mr. Delker is a brother of Miss Bertha Delker.

DELKER - The remains of the late Charles Delker who died in Denver April 8, [1920] will arrive in Leadville this morning on D. & R. G. No. 15. The remains will be at the home of his sister, Miss Bertha Delker, 210 East Seventh street. The funeral will be announced later. R. J. Mulligan will have charge of the arrangements.

Devlin, Peter

Peter Devlin - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - August 2, 1915 - Peter
Devlin, a resident of Leadville who has been cared for recently at the
Woodcroft sanatorium in Pueblo, died at that institution yesterday morning,
according to word received here by Michael Nugent, his brother-in-law.  He
was 42 years old.  Devlin, who was a miner here before the attack of
insanity, was taken to the Woodcroft institution after being adjudged
insane, July 22, 1909 (?).  On the following March 19 he was given into the
custody of Michael Nugent when his mental condition had much improved, and
until a few weeks ago when his condition again became serious, he had lived
with the Nugents here.  On June 16 he was retaken to the Woodcroft
sanatorium when his state became aggravated again, an order for recommital
having been given by the county court.  His wife and three children are
visiting relatives in Ireland.  They will be notified of his death.
Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - August 9, 1915 - Peter Devlin, who died in
Pueblo, Saturday, July 31, was laid at rest yesterday morning in St. Joseph's
cemetery, following services at the Church of the Annunciation at 9:30 at
which many of his friends attended.  The casket was open to view at the
residence, 509 East Seventh street, at 9 o'clock, and there many sympathetic
friends paid their respects also.  At the church Father McCarty officiated,
assisted by the Annunciation choir.  Father McCarty sang the requiem high
mass and gave a consoling address.  The hymnal service was composed of two
beautiful solos, "O Love Divine," sung by Miss Harriet McLean, and "Face to
Face," by Mr. William F. Hennessy.  Mr. Devlin had many friends in
Leadville, and yesterday their respect was shown in many floral tributes
which covered his casket.  Mrs. Devlin, his wife, and four children were
visiting in Ireland, his birthplace, when he was stricken by his last
sickness.  They reached New York at about the time he died on Saturday.
They arrived in Leadville last Thursday night.  The four children who
survive with their mother are Lucille, aged 7; Dan, aged 6; Anna Mary, aged
4; and Edward, aged 8 months.  Two brothers also survive.  They are Frank
Devlin, of Chicago, and Pat Devlin, who lives in Massachusetts.  Mr. Devlin
had lived in Leadville twelve years.  During that time he had been employed
as a miner.

DEWALD - Announcement was received here yesterday by the Moyhahan and O'Malia Undertaking Company thru the family at Sugar Loaf of the death at Denver Wednesday of Mrs. Lillian Dorrington Dewald, whose mother, two brothers and two sisters live in Lake county. She passed away at her home at 2016 Welton street, where she had resided only a comparatively short time.

Mrs. Deward, who was 29 years old, was widely known in Leadville and held in esteem. Her sister, Mrs. Sodle; brothers, Frank and Ben, and mother live at Sugar Loaf. One sister, Mrs. Anderson, lives in Leadville in East Tenth street. Ben was at her home when she died.

Funeral services will take place in Leadville. Announcement concerning them will be made later.

Charlotte Kendrick Dill

Charlotte Kendrick Dill, 93, died June 16 [2002] in Redlands, Calif.

She was born Aug. 31, 1908 at the Kendrick family homes, 300 West Seventh Street, Leadville.

She attended public schools in Leadville and graduated from high school with the class of 1926.  In high school, she was active in dance, drama, and was a finalist in the statewide high school debate competition.

After graduation from high school, she moved to Riverside, Calif., graduating from Riverside College.

In 1932, she married Charles F. "Chuck" Dill who was in the retail lumber business in Southern California.

Charlotte was the last surviving of the six children of long time Lake County Treasurer Frank E. Kendrick, Sr..  Her late brother, Frank E. Kendrick, Jr., represented Lake and Chaffee counties in state legislature for many years.  Charlotte was always proud to be from Leadville and always looked forward to receiving her weekly edition of the Herald Democrat.

She was preceded in death by her husband in 1981.

She is survived by her sons Russell and Fred Dill, both of Redlands, Calif. and four granddaughters.

Family services were held in Redlands at the Congregational Church on June 21 [2002].

Donley, M. A. Mrs.

Mrs. M. A. Donley - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - December 16, 1912 -
Around the City As Seen By Our Reporters on Their Daily Rounds - From the
Herald Democrat and the Evening Chronicle - From Friday's Daily - Death of
Mrs. Donley - Mrs. Charles Otwell, 156 South Toledo avenue, received the
news yesterday of the death of her mother, Mrs. M. A. Donley at Debeque,
Colo., which has been her home since she left Leadville some time ago.  Mrs.
Donley had been in good health until a few days ago, and her death came as
an unexpected shock.  Mrs. Otwell, her daughter, leaves tonight for Pueblo,
where the remains will be shipped for burial.

George T. Dunscomb

Former Leadville resident George T. Dunscomb, 74, of Green Valley, Ariz., died Jan. 10, 2002
He was born July 3, 1927 to Arthur T. and Ethyl M. (Jones) Dunscomb in Leadville and graduated from Leadville High School.
At age seventeen, he joined the United States Navy, serving during World War II.
He married Dolores C. (Bond) Dunscomb on April 9, 1950.
He worked at the Climax Molybdenum Company until his retirement in 1982.
He was a member of the First United Presbyterian Church of Leadville (formerly the First Federated Church) where he served as an Elder and in several other capacities, most prominently as Building Committee Chairman during the construction of the present church facility on McWethy Drive. He was also a member of Corinthian Lodge #35, AF& AM; York Rite; Scottish Rite, Colorado Chapter; and El Jebel Shrine.
In addition to his church and lodge affiliations, he enjoyed fishing and golf.
He was preceded in death by his wife Dolores, who died Oct. 5, 1993; sister Jeanne (Dunscomb) Self; and two brothers, Arthur N. and a brother who died in infancy.
He is survived by his sister Zoe (Dunscomb) Griffith, Escondido, Calif.; children Karen, Bennett, Colo.; George A. (Ellen) Dunscomb, Tucson, Ariz.; and David Dunscomb, Leadville; grandchildren Abigail and Benjamin, Tucson, Ariz.; and several nieces and nephews.
Services will be held on Feb. 23 at 1 p.m. at the First United Presbyterian Church, West Third and McWethy Drive in Leadville.
In lieu of flowers, please make contributions to the Shrine Crippled Children's Hospitals or the American Lung Association.

Dwyer, Johanna

Johanna Dwyer - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - June 18, 1917 - Mrs. Johanna
Dwyer - Mrs. Johanna Dwyer, a pioneer resident of Leadville, who was taken
to the state insane asylum at Pueblo May 26, died at the asylum this week,
probably Wednesday, according to a telegram received by County Judge O'Mahoney
from Dr. H. A. La Moure, superintendent of the institution.  The date of her
death was not given, the message announcing only that she had died and
inquiring if she leaves an estate.  Mrs. Dwyer was adjudged insane by the
lunacy commission of the county court, May 25, after mental derangement
which had troubled her for several years became marked.  Until then she had
been cared for for several months at the county hospital.  She leaves
property here consisting of several mining claims, two Leadville lots and
one dwelling.  M. J. Kilkenny was appointed last month as guardian of the
estate.  Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - July 23, 1917 - Johanna Dwyer's
Will - The late Johanna Dwyer, long before she became demented it is
believed, made out a will disposing of her property here, it developed
yesterday when the document, which had been held for safe keeping by August
Meister of St. Louis, a relative was received by County Judge O'Mahoney.
Mrs. Dwyer who died June 12 last at Pueblo, made the will in May, 1913.  Her
estate consists of the Pilgrim mining claim and the Little Alice claim, both
in Lake county, and lots 408, East Fourteenth street and improvements, lot
22 and south 4 feet of lot 22, block 4, St. Louis Smelting and Refining
company's addition to Leadville.  This property will be distributed among
eight relatives, each being given an eighth interest.  The relatives are
Alice, Henry, Lulu and William Koechling, John, Eulia, George and August
Meister.  Henry Koechling of Jefferson county, Mo., was made executor of the
will by the pioneer woman.  In admitting the will for probate, Judge O'Mahoney
appointed Attorney A. B. Crosswhite as attorney for the estate.  Mrs. Dwyer
was adjudged insane in the county court May 25 last.  She died at the state
asylum at Pueblo, June 12.  According to the will which said she was 64
years old in 1913, she was 68 years old.

Eckhardt, Emma

Emma Eckhardt - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - January 11, 1915 - Death of
Mrs. H. G. Eckhardt - Mrs. H. G. Eckhardt, a well known resident of
Leadville, died during the previous night at the Clark Wells sanatorium,
Pueblo.  It was telephoned to the city yesterday by her husband, Henry G.
Eckhardt, one of the leading grocers of the city at 432 - 434 East Seventh
street.  Death was caused by a sickness of dropsical nature from which Mrs.
Eckhardt had suffered for many months.  Recently she was accompanied to the
Pueblo sanatorium by her husband in the hope that the change of climate and
the mineral baths would work a benefit.  Mr. Eckhardt telephoned that he
would leave for Leadville at 12:30 this morning with his wife's remains, and
would arrive here on D. and R. G. passenger No. 15 at 7:10.  He had not yet
arranged for funeral services, excepting that interment will be made here.
Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - January 11, 1915 - From Saturday's Daily -
Last Tribute to Mrs. Emma Eckhardt - Attended by delegations from the P. O.
of A. and the Eastern Star and friends so numerous that they packed the
church, funeral services were held yesterday afternoon for the late Mrs.
Emma Eckhardt, the wife of H. G. Eckhardt, a well known grocer at 434 East
Seventh street.  Brief services were held at the family home, 433 East
Seventh street, at 1:30 o'clock, at which the Rev. W. M. Garner, pastor of
the First M. E. church offered prayer, and the P. O. of A. observed their
funeral rites.  Mrs. Emma James and Miss Emily Jennings (were) officiating
as the officers of the order.  When the closing services were observed at
the First M. E. church, the edifice was crowded by the scores of friends who
gathered there, many additional seats being set at the rear of the
auditorium.  The casket on the platform was concealed from sight by the
abundance of floral tributes, which also stretched across the rostrum and
surrounded the funeral bier at the foot.  The services there opened with a
prayer and scriptural reading by the Rev. Garner, who was followed by the
church choir, who sang "Beyond the Smiling and the Weeping."  Those
composing the choir were Mrs. Frank James, Miss Aileen Lumsden, Miss Burks,
accompanied by Miss Christina Johnson.  In his funeral address, the minister
paid high tribute to Mrs. Eckhardt, having known her during his incumbency
here through her loyal and active church work.  She was born in Marengo,
Ill., in 1866, and had lived in Leadville twenty-five years, having married
Mr. Eckhardt here in 1892.  Her death following a long illness, at Pueblo
last Monday night was untimely and a sad blow to her husband and two
daughters, Olive and Luvia.  Following the minister's address, the Order of
the Eastern Star observed their funeral services, Mrs. William McCallum and
a number of other officers officiating.  Accompanying the order's ritual was
a beautiful solo, "One Sweetly Solemn Thought," sang by Mrs. Fred Johnston,
accompanied by Mrs. David A. Cuthbert.  The church services closed with
"Nearer, My God, to Thee," sung by the church choir, and a solo, "Face to
Face," sung beautifully by Mrs. Frank James accompanied by Miss Johnson.  At
the graveside in Evergreen cemetery, to which dozens of friends drove in
carriages, the Rev. Garner conducted the committal service of the church.
The procession to the cemetery was headed by the delegation of the Eastern
Star in carriages.  Acting as pall bearers were Messrs. Frank Lomeister,
Court Parsons, Al. Polkinghorn, Frank Potis, G. P. Hale (?) and Andrew
Meyer.  Joining the family here in their sorrow were a number of relatives
of the family, among them being Miss Cable of Pueblo, Mrs. F. F. Park and A.
T. Shultz of Newcastle, Miss Tobine of Grand Junction, and Mrs. Sam Colman
of Steamboat Springs.


Former Leadville resident Regina O'Malia Edington, 102, died June 18, 2001 in her sleep at Town and County Manor in Santa Ana, Calif.

Born September 5, 1898 in Leadville to Edward Robert and Regina [Pulaski] O'Malia, she grew up in Leadville with her sister Angela [McNeese], and brothers Charles, George, and Austin O'Malia.  She is the last of that generation.

Her father, in partnership with J. J. Moynahan, established a funeral parlor/furniture store on Harrison Avenue, where a plaque remained for years.

She taught school in Denver, the Los Angeles area, and the Imperial Valley [southern California], where she met and married her husband Neil Edington [who died in 1954].

Although they had no children of their own, they raised their three O'Malia nieces, Joan O. Hughes, Rita O. Sutherland and Mary Adele O. Geary.

She retired to LaJolla, California, where she traveled extensively, read and became and avid bridge player.

When the year 2000 arrived, she took delight in having lived in three different centuries.

Her McNeece and O'Malia families celebrated her life at a Memorial Mass at Holy Family Cathedral in Orange, California on July 6, 2001.
Herald Democrat, July 12, 2001

Egan, Michael F.

Michael F. Egan - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - October 26, 1914 - Death
of M. F. Egan - Michael F. Egan, at one time treasurer of Lake county, died
yesterday in the Woodcraft sanatorium, for the insane at Pueblo.  He was
about 60 years old.  Egan was adjudged insane in the county court here,
September 11 last, after his mental condition had become so deranged that he
was a menace to the other wards at the county hospital where he had been an
inmate for several years.  During the term of 1889 and 1890 Egan was county
treasurer of Lake county and lived in a fine house in West Eighth street.
He followed mining in California gulch for a time also, and made several
small stakes.  During another period of his residence in Leadville he
managed a blacksmith shop in East Third street.  After his days of
prosperity, however, Egan lost all he had and finally came to be a county
ward.  Three sons who are believed to survive him have not been heard of for
some time.  Word of Egan's death was sent by the Woodcroft authorities to
the county commissioners here yesterday

Estey, Robert B.

Robert B. Estey - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - November 2, 1914 -
Leadville's Veteran Mining Man Passes Away at Ripe Old Age - Prominently
Identified With Life of District - Robert B. Estey died at Boulder yesterday
afternoon.  The telephone message to this effect was received by Mr. A. V.
Hunter, of this city, and later in the evening Mr. Norman Estey gave the
intelligence to the Herald Democrat.  Mrs. Estey, the widow, and Norman
Estey, the son, live at 1662 Pearl street in Denver.  During the afternoon
yesterday word reached them that Mr. Estey, at the Boulder sanitarium, was
sinking rapidly.  His son at once started for Boulder, but before he could
reach the bedside, Mr. Estey was dead.  About two years ago failing health
compelled Mr. Estey to retire from active business life.  He spent some time
at Clark's Wells in Pueblo, and a year ago appeared to be considerably
improved.  While the symptoms of disease appeared to leave him, he slowly
and steadily grew weaker, and a short time ago went to the Boulder
sanitarium, within easy reach of Denver so that his wife and son were
enabled to spend much of their time at his bedside.  Mr. Estey was 79 years
old at the time of his death.  "Mr. Estey has done more for the mining
industry of Leadville than any other single man," was the tribute paid last
night to his memory by John Groberg, who for twenty-seven years has been his
most trusted mining superintendent and close personal friend.  No man
acquainted with the work which Mr. Estey has done in this district will
doubt for a moment the truth of this tribute.  Since 1879 he had been
closely identified with the development of the district and was the active
promoter of many of its largest and most important enterprises.  Robert B.
Estey was born 79 years ago at Calais, Maine, of old New England ancestors.
When a mere boy Mr. Estey was attracted by the stories from the golden
shores of California and was among the first of the Argonauts to reach that
promised land.  He made the trip across the Isthmus of Panama and spent
several years in the pioneer days of the first gold discovery on the Pacific
coast.  Mr. Estey later lived in Nevada where he actively engaged in mining,
laying the foundation for a practical knowledge of the business combined
with a thorough technical training which proved later so valuable to him
when he came to the Leadville district.  He arrived here in 1879, and one of
his first mining ventures was the sinking of a shaft on Iron Hill not far
from the Silver Cord.  Later he became associated with Mr. S. W. Mudd in the
development of property on Carbonate Hill, operating for some time the
Leadville Consolidated Mining company group.  In the early nineties Mr.
Estey organized the Union Leasing and Mining company, the first attempt at
consolidation in the Leadville district.  The properties acquired by the
company consisted of a number of claims on East Fryer Hill which hitherto
had been operated individually, but owing to heavy pumping expenses could
not be worked to a profit.  The Union company established a central pumping
plant at the El Paso shaft and drained the East Fryer Hill (?) basin, taking
out several million dollars worth of ore up to the time of the strike.
After the Union company ceased operations, Mr. Estey, either individually or
through various companies in which he became actively interested, sank a
number of shafts in many portions of the district, and did much toward the
development of its geology and the opening up of important ore bodies.
Among these enterprises were the Rialto, the Comstock, the Revenue, and the
Delante.  The Coronado Mining company, one of the largest producers in the
Downtown district, was one of Mr. Estey's most successful enterprises.  A
few years ago he and Mr. Norman Estey, his son, who was associated with him
in his mining ventures, operated the Chippewa mine successfully.  Mr. Estey
was an authority on the geology of the Leadville district.  Mining men found
him to be a storehouse of knowledge concerning the geological formations and
ore deposits, and the promoters of many large mining enterprises in which he
was not financially interested eagerly sought his advice and counsel.  Mr.
Estey was associated in many important mining enterprises, with prominent
eastern capitalists who relied implicitly on his judgment and knowledge of
the mining business.  He was engaged with Mr. S. W. Mudd for a number of
years and entered into an active partnership with the late Henry L. Higgins.
His relations with his employees and business associates were of the most
cordial character.  He treated his men justly and generously.  The men who
served him faithfully he usually retained in his employee, and some of the
best and oldest miners in the district were associated underground with the
veteran mining man.  Engaged as he was during the many years of his active
life in ___ing to his many mining ventures and enterprises, Mr. Estey
apparently had little time for recreation.  He found, however, one source of
genuine pleasure and amusement.  During the fishing season he took his rod
and line and spent days at a time along the banks of the Eagle river, his
favorite fishing ground.  Leadville will today pay its tribute of respect
and admiration to Mr. Estey, for it is to him and men like him that this
district owes its prosperity and its importance.  He made money, only to
spend it again in opening up new sections and new mines.  He was a type of
the true western mining spirit, the spirit of venture, the spirit to which
the west owes its greatness.

FELTON, GEORGE  -  Colorado Outdoor Magazine, 93

George Feltner, 93, retired Colorado Outdoor Magazine Asst. Editor.
Born May 17, 1908 in Leadville: passed away April 25, 2002.  Survived by wife Arti; sons Don and Jon; son Gary (deceased); grandchildren Christine (Bryan) Howard, Melissa Feltner, Zoriah Miller; great-grandchildren
Savanah; sister Eve Beyeler.

Visitation, Tuesday 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.; services, Wednesday 10 a.m.;
both at Olinger Wadsworth Chapel (NE corner).

Delivered papers to Baby Doe Tabor, saw Buffalo Bill's "Wild West Show", loved to watch 20+ trains a day going through Leadville, was a "Cub Reporter" for Herald Democrat newspaper. . . covered hangings to barroom brawls and infamous "badger fights".  . . was shot at, laughed at, laughed  with, and loved by family and friends.

Donations to Seventh Avenue Congregational Church, 666 King St.,
Denver 80204; or Hospice of St. John, 1320 Everett Ct., Lakewood 80215.

Fikani, Asad

Asad Fikani - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - May 6, 1912 - Dies in
Littleton - Word has been received here from Littleton, Colo., of the recent
death of Asad Fikani, formerly a resident of Leadville.  Mr. Fikani was born
in Mount Lebanon, Syria, and was 67 years of age.  He came to America
twenty-two years ago, residing in Denver and Leadville until five years ago
when he went to Littleton, and has lived there ever since.  He leaves a wife
and three sons and four daughters, Mrs. Frank Fikani, of Littleton; Mrs.
George Harris, of Panama, Mo.; Mrs. F. Kelloff, of Segundo, Colo., and Ethel
Fikani, who graduated from Leadville High school last year and is now
attending Chicago university.  The sons are all in Leadville, where the
father was in business for twelve years.

FISHER - Saturday, April 23, [1920] at St. Vincent's hospital, Miss Ruth Fisher, aged 52 years.

Funeral, in charge of Moynahan-O'Malia Co., announced later.


Submitted by: Kathleen R. Minion

Funeral services, which were held this morning for the late Thomas Flannery, former Leadville resident, were largely attended by local friends and a representation of Gilman citizens, as he had been living at Gilman for the past twenty-three years. The services were held at 9:30 this morning from the Church of the Annunciation, the funeral cortege leaving the Moynahan-O'Malia funeral chapel at 1 o'clock.

Rev. Father E. L. Horgan officiated at mass. Two vocal solos, "Prayer for Happy Death" and "One Fleeting Hour" were sung by Mrs. Kate Forman, accompanied by Miss Mary Genry, organist.

Interment was in St. Joseph's cemetery and the pallbearers, all citizens of Gilman, Colorado, were Pete Doyle, John Doyle, O.R. Abrahamsen, John Curran, Adam Houck, and Thomas Daviney.

Born in New York City, February 1, 1872, he came to Colorado when he was about twelve years of age. After settling for a time in the San Luis valley, he later moved to Leadville when the town was in its boom.

He engaged as a miner here for several years.

He was married in Leadville when he was about twenty-one, to Catherine Barlow and twenty-three years ago he and his family moved to Gilman, Colorado, where he followed his occupation as a miner and shaft foreman.

During the influenza epidemic in 1918 he lost his wife and two sons, who were buried in Leadville within a period of ten days.

While he made his home at Gilman, he gained many friends as was evidenced by the number of floral tributes and the attendance at the funeral services. Numbered among the floral tributes were many large set pieces and a broken wheel from the Gilman community.

He died in a Salida hospital last Friday morning from injuries incurred the previous morning, when he fell from a pipe line at the tailings pond of the Empire Zinc company, where he had been employed for the past four or five years. Following the accident he was taken to the hospital at Salida via ambulance, and the death resulted from a punctured lung, caused by a fractured rib. For several years he had been employed as a shaft foreman but, recently, because of failing health, had been transferred to outdoor work; and it was while working on the pipe line that he fell to the ground, Thursday morning. He was rushed to the Gilman hospital and sent from there to Salida.

The only surviving member of his family, a married daughter, Mrs. Leo Jones of Oakland, California, arrived here after being notified of her father's death. He is also survived by a son-in-law, Leo Jones and three grandchildren, Patricia, Barbara and Milford Jones. A sister-in-law, Mrs. Nellie Nolan of Lake City, Colorado and a niece Mrs. Hazel Williams of Victor, Colorado together with Mr. Nolan and Mr. Williams were here for the funeral services. (A Leadville Paper-dated July 2, 1931)


Thomas-Thomas FLANNERY met his death Thursday, June 25, when he fell from a flume scaffolding at Rex and sustained fatal injuries when he survived but a few hours. Tom FLANNERY was one of the old-time residents of Gilman were he had followed mining for many years. For the past several yeas he has been an underground shift boss for the Empire Zinc company, but this spring he suffered a severe attack of pneumonia and when he was dismissed from the hospital recently, was given outside employment by the company, until he had fully recovered. At the time of his death he was acting as inspector of the long pipe line which conveys the refuse matter from the zinc mill three miles to the settling pond on the old BOLT ranch. His duties were to patrol the line each day. The pipe passes over a high trestle near Rex and it was at this point he met with mishap which brought about his death. The injured man was placed on Train No. 16 and taken to Salida, but died enroute to the hospital. We were unable to get any information of the funeral or burial. Mr. FLANNERY is survived by several children, his wife having preceded him in death. (Eagle Valley Enterprise, p1 Dated:3 July 1931) NOTE:Thomas FLANNERY died on Friday the 26th. Milford JONES' name was changed to Leo Thomas JONES-Leo after his father and Thomas after his maternal grandfather.


"Terrance J. Fitzsimmons, 69, Evergreen.  Husband of Barbara; father of
Michael, Patrick, Tim Wind, Charles Robert, Peter and Kathleen; and
brother Charles; grandfather of eleven; preceded in death by a son, Terry.
Mass of the Resurrection at 10:00 a.m. Monday, Christ the King Catholic
Church, 4291 Evergreen Parkway.  Interment at Evergreen Memorial Park.
Memorials to Mount Evans Hospice, P.O. Box 2770, Evergreen, CO

Terry was a graduate of Leadville High School and was in Public Relations
for Climax/Amax.  His mother was the one who gave piano lessons in
Leadville and his dad was the postmaster.

Jackson, [Alexander] Freeman

Freeman Jackson - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - December 28, 1914 - From
Monday's Daily - Death of Freeman Jackson - Freeman Jackson, for twenty
years a miner in the Leadville district, died at Pueblo early yesterday
morning, it was announced in a telegram received by his wife, who lives at
109 North Toledo avenue.  He was 39 years old.  Jackson died at the Pueblo
sanatorium where he had been under medical care for two and (a) half years,
following a mental derangement at the beginning of that time which resulted
from cranial injuries.  He was born at Prince Edward's Island 39 years ago,
and came to Leadville while he was a youth.  He had been a miner and leaser
in the district for twenty years, and was widely known here.  For a number
of years he had been a member of the Miners' union, Cloud City local No. 33,
and the Fraternal Union.  Surviving him here are his wife, one son and one
daughter.  His mother, one brother and four sisters, live at Prince Edward's
Island.  Mrs. Jackson telegraphed to Pueblo last night regarding
arrangements for the funeral services, which will be announced later.
Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - December 28, 1914 - Attended Funeral of
Freeman Jackson - Mrs. Maggie Jackson, of 109 North Toledo avenue, and Mrs.
Frank Wilson returned yesterday from Pueblo, where they attended the funeral
of the formers husband, Freeman Jackson, a well known leaser and miner in
the Leadville district.  The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian
church, the Rev. J. L. Lewis officiating, assisted by the church choir which
sang the two sacred selections of the services, "Face to Face" and "I Am
Going Home."

Added article:

Carbonate Chronicle 5-27-1912 - Freeman Jackson, who was confined in the
county jail last week and later taken to a hospital on account of his
irrational conduct, was tried yesterday in the county court for insanity.
The jury returned a verdict finding him insane.  A number of witnesses were
examined by County Attorney Bouck and by Attorney Pendery, for the
defendant.  Among these were two friends, William Vice and Sam Haskell;
Undersheriff Harlan and County Physician Jeannotte, who attended Jackson
during his illness.  Both of the friends said that he had been acting as
though his mind was distracted for the past week and had on a number of
occasions made threats of violence against them.  Haskell stated that
Jackson had taken a dislike to him because he insisted on his not going out
of the house.  When asked if he knew of anything such as an accident or an
inherited tendency for insanity in Jackson's recond, he replied that some
years ago the demented man had been struck on the head with a pistol while
he was engaged in a fight.  Other persons who remember the affair say that
it was a piece of scantling with which the man was struck.  From that time
he never seemed to be right, according to the testimony taken yesterday.
Undersheriff Harlan told of Jackson's actions while he was in jail, saying
that at times he seemed to be rational and then would begin to make threats
of violence against the officers.  Dr. Jeannotte in his testimony strongly
advised that the man be sent to a hospital for the insane where he could be
properly cared for and perhaps cured of his mental derangement.  The doctor
declined to answer the question of Attorney Pendery to show whether insanity
was prevalent in the Jackson family.  "Some things as those are between the
patient and me," said Dr. Jeannotte.  The jury was out ten minutes and then
brought in a verdict that Jackson "is insane or distracted and dangerous to
his own person and to the persons and property of others."  Judge Harrison
gave judgment to the effect that Jackson be confined in the asylum at Pueblo
until he is in the discretion of the authorities there considered a safe man
to be at large.  Jackson yesterday answered the questions of Attorney Bouck
with intelligence and was able to tell his age, where he was born, his
occupation.  But he could scarcely talk as he said that his stomach was in a
bad condition.  "I didn't give my stomach a square deal," said Jackson in
low muttering tones.  "I drank too much."  All the time that Mr. Bouck was
questioning him, Jackson kept pleading in feeble tones, "Won't you please
ask the judge to let me go home."  The unfortunate man was taken to Pueblo
last night by Sheriff Schraeder.  The jurors were: W. G. Parker (foreman),
M. W. Hollister, J. W. Poulson, Frank E. Williams, Jake Murray and George E.



Mary Antoinette Martha [Meyer] Freville, 93 passed away quietly in her home in Buena Vista, Colorado on October 14, 2001. She moved to Buena Vista from Twin Lakes, Colorado over 30 years ago.

Mary was born in Blexan, Jetzt, Nordenham, Germany on August 11, 1908 and immigrated with her mother and four brothers in July 1909, joining her father in Rockvale Twp, Ogle Co., IL. She was the daughter of Thomas Evert and Antonie Wilhelmina Marie Krüger Meyer.

She attended schools in Ogle Co., IL and Winnebago Co., IL. She also attended Business College in Rockford, IL.

She married Auguste Paul Freville on April 4, 1942 in Champaign, IL, a double wedding with her sister Katie Meyer and Wallace Ignatchuck.

Mary was an avid outdoorswomen. She fished in Wisconsin and when she moved to Colorado in 1955 she spent time fishing high lakes and fishing the lower lakes. She bowled for the Moose Club in Rockford, IL and bowled with the leagues at the Labor Center and Kristi Lanes in Leadville. She loved to play Bingo. Mary loved her animals and could always be seen with one or more of her dogs wherever she went. She was a member of The Women of the Moose.

She was preceded in death by her husband, her parents and her brothers; Herman, Thomas, Arthur, Henry, Eberhardt, Herbert, Ernest, Richard and Edward, her sisters, Anna and Katie, two nephews, Donald and Edward Meyer and one great niece, Cynthia Meyer LeLevier.

Three sisters-in-laws, Irma and Rose Meyer, Rockford, IL, Marilyn Meyer, Golden, CO survive her. Many nieces and nephews also survive her. Herman and Roger Meyer, son’s of Herman, Rockford, IL; Thomas Meyer, Elko, NV and James Meyer, Santee, CA son’s of Thomas; Delores Singley, Rockford, IL and Mary Thillens, Libertyville, IL daughters of Henry; Fred Meyer, Hagerman, ID son of Eberhardt; Herbert Meyer Jr. and Judith Shelton, Rockford, IL son and daughter of Herbert; Gail Meyer Kilgore, Casa Grande, AZ, Marilyn Meyer Diamond, Buena Vista, CO, Richard Meyer, Glendale, AZ and Gerhard Meyer, Lodi, OH children of Richard; Barbara Brink, Rhonda Renz, Leadville, CO, Cynthia Brug, Kersey, CO and Paula Purdy, Denver, CO daughters of Edward; Ann Marie Brubaker, Rockford, IL, Nancy Suessmith, Dayton, NV, and Sharon Foster, AR daughters of Katie. She has a niece of her husband’s, Leona Becker, IN that survives her. She has many great and great-great nieces and nephews that also survive her and cousins in Germany.

Services will be held at the Bailey Mortuary in Leadville, Colorado on October 17, 2001 at 10:00 a.m. Visitation will be one hour before the service. Burial follows the service at Mt. Olivet Cemetery in Buena Vista, Colorado. Father Tom Killeen will officiate at the service with Joan Dawson and Jean Elliott providing the music.

Memorials can be made at the Arkansas Valley Humane Society, 701 Greg Dr., Buena Vista, Colorado 81211

Fulton, Henry J.

Henry J. Fulton - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - August 26, 1918 - Henry J.
Fulton - Members of the Order of Railroad Telegraphers from numerous towns
and cities and scores of old Leadville friends paid their last tributes
yesterday afternoon to the late Henry J. Fulton, general chairman of the O.
R. T. on the D. and R. G. railroad and telegrapher for that system for
twenty-four years, who died at Chicago last Tuesday while on his way to
Washington to attend a conference of chairmen of his order.  These tributes
were evidenced at funeral services held at 2 o'clock at the First M. E.
church.  Many friends who were unable to be present at the church also
called at the family home before this hour and extended their condolences to
Mrs. Fulton and Miss Lucille Fulton, who are next of kin here bereaved by
Mr. Fulton's untimely death.  Floral tokens came from nearly all of them
including large designs or bouquets from the O. R. T. at Chicago, Salida,
Grand Junction and Denver, as well as Leadville telegraphers.  The Rev.
Clarence M. Fish officiated at the church and vocalists sang several
beautiful hymns.  These selections were a trio, "Beyond the Bar," sung by
Miss Grace Briel, Miss Marion Kingsbury and E. R. Jennings; a bass solo,
"Lead, Kindly Light," sung by Mr. Jennings; and a soprano solo, "O Dry Those
Tears," sung by Miss Kingsbury.  Miss Anna McLeod played the piano
accompaniment for the first two, and for the third, she and Miss Mary
McDonald played piano and violin accompaniment respectively.  As the friends
and family passed from the church, Miss McLeod played "Nearer, My God, To
Thee."  Mr. Fulton, who had often expressed a desire to be buried in
Leadville, was laid at rest in the family plot in Evergreen cemetery.  The
six pall bearers were Leadville men who have been friends of the family for
a number of years.  They were N. T. Schedin, F. E. Kendrick, Loutrel N.
Briggs, Peter Mulock, F. E. Brown, and T. E. Fennell.  Among the members of
the O. R. T. and other friends from out of town in attendance at the
services were J. C. Brannan (?) of Pueblo, H. W. Martin of Malta, T. H.
Holton of Gunnison, F. A. Devin, Mr. and Mrs. E. A. Compton of Denver, (and)
J. J. Rose of Chicago.  Mr. and Mrs. Compton and Mr. Rose accompanied Mrs.
Fulton on her sad mission home last week after Mr. Fulton died at the
Lakeside hospital shortly after noon Tuesday before she arrived from
Leadville, from which she started Sunday night last on receiving word of the
sudden attack of acute indigestion which seized Mr. Fulton while on his way
east.  Mr. Rose is chairman for the O. R. T. of the Rock Island and is
acting as chairman also for several other western roads while their
respective officers are at the Washington conference.  Mr. Fulton was 58
years old, had lived in Leadville 24 years and had been employed on the Rio
Grande railroad for 29 years.  He was born in Madison, Wis., on October 25,
1860.  Leaving his birthplace and starting out in life for himself, he was
employed for some time on the Northwestern railroad and then came west to
Colorado, first settling in Denver.  Later he took up employment in Pueblo
and then, 24 years ago in March, he came to Leadville.  He and Mrs. Fulton
were married on September 19, 1887.  During the last nine years of his long
and faithful service with the Rio Grande, Mr. Fulton was the general
chairman of the Order of Railroad Telegraphers on this railroad, and it was
as such that he started east this month to attend the conference of chairmen
at Washington.  His duties in this office, as well as in his railroad
position proper, called for considerable traveling about the country, and he
possessed friends in scores of towns and cities besides his "home town."
Surviving him are his wife and two daughters, two brothers and two sisters.
The latter are Sam Fulton of Pomona, Calif., Mrs. Margaret Starr of Azuza,
Calif., Mrs. Anna Richmond of Omaha, George William Fulton and Catherine
Fulton, who live at Pacific Junction, Iowa, all of them older than Mr.




Miss Catherine Gallagher died at her home in Leadville yesterday, aged 78 years. She was a sister of Mrs. Bernard McMahon of 124 East Tenth street, Salida.

The body will arrive on No. 2 Saturday Interment will be in Fairview Cemetery. Mrs. McMahon went to Leadville several days ago when her sister’s condition became serious.

Submitted by:  Sharon R. Shaffer

Note: The three different articles spell his first name differently, with
one 'L' and then with two 'L's.

Gallaher, Philip C.

Philip C. Gallaher - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - December 4, 1916 -
Philip C. Gallaher - Philip C. Gallaher, assayer for the Iron Silver Mining
company, died at St. Mary's hospital, Pueblo, at 9:30 last night.  Mrs.
Gallaher was present when he passed away.  The remains will be brot to
Leadville for interment, reaching this city tonight.  A short time ago
Clark, the young son of Mr. and Mrs. Gallaher, developed symptoms of
pneumonia, and was taken to Pueblo to St. Mary's hospital, where the father
(?) died.  Shortly afterward Mr. Gallaher was stricken with the same disease
and during the present week he was also taken to the Pueblo hospital in the
hope that the change in altitude might save him.  Mr. and Mrs. Gallaher have
lived most happily for several years at 226 West Eighth street with their
two children.  Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - December 11, 1916 - Around
the City - As Seen By Our Reporters on Their Daily Rounds - From Monday's
Daily - The remains of the late Phillip C. Gallaher, assayer for the Iron
Silver Mining company, who died in Pueblo of pneumonia Saturday night, will
be buried in Rolla, Mo., it was announced here last night, instead of in
Leadville.  Mrs. Gallaher, who was with her husband when he died, started
from Pueblo yesterday with the body for that town.  Leadville Carbonate
Chronicle - January 22, 1917 - Gallaher Estate In County Court - Mrs.
Frances T. Gallaher of 226 West Eighth street was appointed in County Judge
O'Mahoney's court yesterday as administratrix of the estate of her late
husband, Philip C. Gallaher, assayer for the Iron Silver Mining company, who
died at Pueblo December 2 last.  The estate, the inventory of which was not
given out, consists of bank deposits, the local residence of the family,
stocks and bonds.

Gladhill, Theodore

Theodore Gladhill - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - October 19, 1914 -
Crushed Under Freight Car - Theodore Gladhill, Colorado Midland Brakeman,
Fell Under Wheels and Lost Both Legs - Amputation Fails to Save Life -
Theodore Gladhill, aged 47 years, a brakeman on the Colorado Midland
railway, died shortly after 9 last night at St. Vincent's hospital,
following an accident at Arkansas Junction in the afternoon in which both of
his legs were run over by the wheel of a freight car.  Gladhill's death
followed an operation performed at about 7:15 to amputate the mangled legs
below the knees.  The brakeman, who had been employed with the Colorado
Midland for three months, left Leadville at 3:40 yesterday afternoon to run
to Cardiff on a freight train which was in charge of Conductor F. E. Glynn,
Brakeman O. W. Lenhart, and Gladhill.  None of the crew saw the accident in
the yards at the Junction.  When the trainmen were bringing Gladhill to
Leadville on a caboose attached to one of the extra engines which help the
trains "over the hill," he said he stepped to the end of the string of
freight cars to open a knuckle of the coupling.  The engine had just been
released from the string, and Gladhill did not realize the amount of slack
between the cars.  As the cars crowded together in taking up the slack, they
bumped into the brakeman, knocking him down and forcing a wheel of one truck
over his legs just below the knee, striking one leg squarely and the other
at an angle.  Conductor Glynn and Brakeman Lenhart rushed to his aid on
hearing his cries.  Gladhill had his arms thrown about the brake beam when
they found him, and they released his death-like clutch only with
difficulty.  After the accident Gladhill displayed remarkable pluck.  He did
not lose consciousness after the accident, and in spite of the terrible pain
talked freely with the trainmen.  The trainmen put him on the caboose
immediately and hastened him to Leadville, where an ambulance was waiting to
take him to St. Vincent's hospital.  As the physicians and trainmen were
pushing the stretcher over the little track which receives it in the
ambulance, it unexpectedly ran off of one rail.  "Wait a minute, boys; you
can't run me in that way," said Gladhill, despite the sudden wrench the
movement gave his mangled legs.  "I'm off the track."  Later when he was
taken to the hospital he kept up the same nervy attitude, and jested with
John H. McGrall, yardmaster of the Midland, about the accident, remarking
that "a little thing like that can't make me die."  But Gladhill was unable
to survive the enormous shock of the accident and the operation necessitated
later to remove the crushed legs to prevent blood poisoning.  He was known
to practically all of the railroad men in Leadville and many other
residents, having been an "old timer" in the railroad fraternity and
formerly a railroad man here for ten years or more before his last
employment of three months with the Midland, residing here then in East
Eighth street.  While he lived here formerly he was employed on both the
Midland and the Denver and Rio Grande.  He had lived at Creede, Cripple
Creek, Salida and Pueblo.  His wife and two children survive him in Pueblo,
residing at 623 East Third street.  Conductor Glynn telegraphed the wife
concerning the accident as soon as possible, and she is expected to arrive
here this morning.  Yardmaster McGrall also notified her by telephone.
Gladhill was a member of the Cripple Creek lodge of Eagles, Aerie No. 36.
C. B. Carter, local agent of the Midland, notified J. W. McMahon, secretary
of the Leadville Eagles, Aerie No. 91, of the accident.  Gladhill had also
been a member of the railroad men's brotherhood, though it was said he had
allowed his membership to expire.  The brakeman's remains were taken in
charge by Coroner E. R. O'Malia

Gough, Clarence E.

Clarence E. Gough - Leadville Carbonate Chronicle - November 15, 1915 -
Clarence E. Gough - Mrs. Valentine Stepisnek, of 322 West Third street, was
called to Pueblo this week by the death of her daughter's husband, Clarence
E. Gough, who died in that city Monday.  Funeral services were held in
Pueblo at the Davis-Voories undertaking chapel at 11 o'clock Wednesday
morning, and the body was then sent to Salida for burial.  Mrs. Gough will
be remembered by friends here as Johanna Stepisnek.  She and four children
survive.  Mr. Stepisnek, her father, who is a chef here, was unable to leave
his duties to attend the funeral services.  Mrs. Gough plans to come to
Leadville with her mother and children to spend a short time before
returning to Pueblo

wrth_ros.gif (3298 bytes)

Lake County Home Page

© Gail Meyer Kilgore/Michael P. Irwin 2002 - 2008

- Monday, 19-Sep-2011 19:15:29 MDT