This district was located just north of Yuma.
Part of a Yuma Pioneer article - June 5, 1980
79 attend Hammond School reunion
Students and teachers of the long-closed Hammond School held a reunion in Yuma during the Memorial Day weekend. The school opened in 1892 with 12 pupils, six miles north, one east, and one-half south of Yuma.
The school was closed in 1955 and the students were absorbed into the Yuma system.
John McDermott was Hammond's original teacher in. 1892. He received $30 a month. Pupils of the first class were Jay Ingersoll, Eddie, Johnny, and Claude Tribbett, Willie and Evelyn Bermond, Mary and Lissie Ziegler, Evelyn Hammond, and Jesse, Myrtle and Maud Dickson.
Another school was built years later, six miles north of Yuma, across the highway from the present Baucke farm home. The eight grade school was moved after closing. The building served as the VFW headquarters in Yuma for several years, and is now the New Hope Lutheran Church.
Yuma Pioneer clipping contributed by Arlene Glenn and the Yuma Museum.
Return to Yuma County Data